• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    ....the .gov shows up and says you have to take in these 8 people who were stuck in the area when the SHTF.......

No other help for the extra mouths will be provided......

What say you?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Bring out the backhoe, dig a hole and tell them to push the government people into the hole.
    :popcorn:

Anyone who tosses a government working into the hole is probably a useful contributing member of society who was wrongfully displaced. Take that person in, s/he will contribute to your homestead by providing work, helping with security, and tending the gardens, etc.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    would that change if they were....you fill in the blanks.....
    Hot college age strippers??? You bet. They definately have something to bring to the table.

Seriously though.

There are variables. Do I have the means to provide for them? Can they contribute in some way?

If the situation is so bad that taking them in means watching my family and them starve, freeze or whatever then no.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Bring out the backhoe, dig a hole and tell them to push the government people into the hole.
    :popcorn:

Anyone who tosses a government working into the hole is probably a useful contributing member of society who was wrongfully displaced. Take that person in, s/he will contribute to your homestead by providing work, helping with security, and tending the gardens, etc.

:rockwoot:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Absolutely not. I will not be forced to take on extra mouths. May sound selfish, but when I am struggling to keep my family alive, that is my goal. Relatives and friends and good neighbors, sure, but 8 random people the government tells me to care for? I'm not running a daycare.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm not quite sure what I would do, but I doubt that we would see this situation. Instead, seven days after, government officials with rifles will show up at your door, confiscate your supplies, and take them to whatever public housing facility they have set up. You will then be disarmed, and forced to relocated to said facility.

That's the tin foil hat situation.

In reality, in a true SHTF situation, something on a nation wide or possibly global scale, nobody will come knocking on our doors. Every government agency will be too busy trying to hold everything together that we will be left to fend for ourselves. The SHTF situation that we will run into will be dealing with those who are expecting the government to help, and therefore have not prepared.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There is too much information that has been omitted.

Who are the people?

How did SHTF?

How "nicely" does the govt ask/tell?

How "nice/useful" are the people?

How am I setting on resources?

How long do I think the chaos will last?

How much would it "hurt" me to take them in?

Does Uncle Sam Or Gov Daniels give me any addl support for them?

Also, maybe petty, but how "grateful/appreciative" are the people who have been shoved upon me?

Presuming the fact that things have gone bad and eight (8) people show up in need of help, sent by the govt, I would like to think that I would help them "as much as I could" while suffering "as little damage" as possible.

It is like that TV show Jericho if you saw it.

The whole town voted to take in a bunch of refugees when they didn't have the resources to feed them well. I was fine with that part. People live with the vote and have a right to be stupid. What I did NOT like was that the show didn't later illustrate how everyone was eating less and getting thin. On top of that slightly more susceptible to infection as their immune system was down.

I guess I don't know until I was placed in that situation.

Out of curiosity what made you think of asking this question in the first place?

Doug

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm not quite sure what I would do, but I doubt that we would see this situation. Instead, seven days after, government officials with rifles will show up at your door, confiscate your supplies, and take them to whatever public housing facility they have set up. You will then be disarmed, and forced to relocated to said facility.

That's the tin foil hat situation.

In reality, in a true SHTF situation, something on a nation wide or possibly global scale, nobody will come knocking on our doors. Every government agency will be too busy trying to hold everything together that we will be left to fend for ourselves. The SHTF situation that we will run into will be dealing with those who are expecting the government to help, and therefore have not prepared.
    :yesway::yesway: What he said.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    7 days.

I really doubt the government can do much of anything just 7 days after SHTF. It also depends on if I can claim them as dependents on my tax return. However if they are healthy and have a lot of meat on their bones, might make good bait for the zombies.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    the reason I posted, is 8 family members are getting ready to show up for a few days at my place. Thanksgiving weekend.

a side note-It's a test to see how much food we eat.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'd say no room at the inn, but there is a stable they can stay in down the road, and what's up with those three guys on camels?

Seriously, if I was told, under what threat, or jurisdiction? Isn't it the neighborly thing to do? Perhaps, it's something we'd do without being told? But then again, our house is 900 sq.ft., and filled with crap...not the ideal spot. But the yard is big enough!

Last edited:

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    No.

Chances are, if the Gov is bringing them by, they were "usless eaters" before the SHTF and And they will be "usless eaters" after...They will probally rob you and/or kill you or your family the first chance they get.

I would probally give them some food if I had any to spare, but no way I am letting them in the house.

After the Gov folks leave..."Here is a can of spam" ...KA-CHINK! (jacking shotgun) "I better not see you around here again."

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The quantity you eat at Thanksgiving isn't reflective of what you'd consume in a SHTF situation, Longbow.Hope you can get the freeloaders out the door when the meals over!
    I think its a weird question very unlikely to happen. I think the Gov't would be too busy to fool with taking care of hungry citizens. Not like they'd care anyway.
    But I hope you have a happy thanksgiving. Keep those preps concealed or they WILL come calling and eat your food when the SHTF!

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    When the big snow of 78 happened a State trooper knocked on my door to ask if I could take in some stranded motorists. We took in two couples and one truck driver for five days. The troopers in the area knew me and they ASKED not ordered. The diet was a bit monotonous but we got by okay.

Top Bottom