• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Putting this under NFA since lots of these are 8.3" - 12" suppressed rifles.

Today I got to shoot my first suppressed 8.6 BLK. Holy smokes. It was a Savage action with a 16" Faxon barrel, Midwest Industries chassis and Q Porq Chop suppressor. 1:3 twist, 300gn SMK over 17gns AA1680.

After spending some time with the 300 Blackout and really tuning it, I've changed my own mind about the round. I never saw much purpose for it honestly, and have gotten in / gotten out a couple times. After tuning some subsonics and building out both bolt guns and semi's, I've warmed to it a bit. You could say I actually like it.

Enter the 8.6 BLK. Lots of research later, I'm seeing the pros and cons of the 8.6 BLK round. I have a Q Fix in 8.6 with a Porq Chop on order. The questions are: Who has one? What do you think of it? Do you have load data? Favorite projectiles? General thoughts?

I'd like to hear them.

(not me in the video, just the rifle we shot)

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am a huge fan of 300 blackout. Especially in Indiana where most shots are less than 300 yards I really enjoy shooting, subsonics suppressed. I think it’s about the most enjoyable, shooting experience you can have besides suppressed 22 LR.

My dear rifle is a 16 inch bolt action 300 blackout suppressed shooting supers. That’s how much I liked the round. It’s easily good out to 150 yards.

8.6 got my attention immediately I love the twist ratio, and the extended range. I have found it very hard not to pull the trigger on buying one of Q’s new offerings. if I lived out west and needed to take longer deadly shots with a subsonic or short barrel, caliber, 8.6 would be my jam

As it is with the cost of the guns and the ammunition, right now, I’m a hold out

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've just started getting into 300 BLK, so of course they come out with this!

Fortunately though, the cost of 8.6 BLK ammo and guns will keep me from making a "this is so cool" purchase for the time being.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I think it is an interesting cartridge but being .308 length is a con for me. I wouldn't have a whole lot of use for a bolt action chambered in it and wouldn't want a big, heavy semi auto chambered in it. If Ruger were to chamber it in the SFAR, I'd probably take a long hard look though.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Finally - after months of waiting - received my Fix 12" in 8.6BLK today. Loaded with 300gn SMK subsonics, this thing hits like a TRAIN.

At 50 yds, it took a 4" AR500 steel on 42" chains four laps around a bar with one hit. Hits 12" steel without apology.

Waiting on an Alaskan 360Ti for suppression, should be in this week. With the Q Plan B around an XL Cherry Bomb, it sounds like a loud firecracker from 20 yds behind. Low pitch, nothing like a rifle shot.

This thing is a beast.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Finally - after months of waiting - received my Fix 12" in 8.6BLK today. Loaded with 300gn SMK subsonics, this thing hits like a TRAIN.

At 50 yds, it took a 4" AR500 steel on 42" chains four laps around a bar with one hit. Hits 12" steel without apology.

Waiting on an Alaskan 360Ti for suppression, should be in this week. With the Q Plan B around an XL Cherry Bomb, it sounds like a loud firecracker from 20 yds behind. Low pitch, nothing like a rifle shot.

This thing is a beast.
    So, videos coming?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    The 300 blk concept made sense to me and I’m glad to see it taking off in the military / hunting worlds.

8.6 as I understand it sure sounds fun. And I imagine it will be a hit with some niche crowds of recreational shooters and maybe hunters. Given its size and how unwieldy autoloaders are that can handle it, I imagine it will be most prevalent in bolt guns. Doubting it will gain much police / military traction.

I’m quite interested as a spectator and am looking forward to what the industry does with this big dart launcher

IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4909.jpeg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

This thing is a beast.
    Note to self,
    Time to start a candle business.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I keep on keeping myself from getting into 8.6. The Q offerings and some of the Faxon guns are tickling my fancy, but I just can’t take the plunge at $2 / round when I don’t have Cape buffalo or bears on my property. But the idea of a hard hitting subsonic caliber always gets me excited.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I keep on keeping myself from getting into 8.6. The Q offerings and some of the Faxon guns are tickling my fancy, but I just can’t take the plunge at $2 / round when I don’t have Cape buffalo or bears on my property. But the idea of a hard hitting subsonic caliber always gets me excited.
    Save your brass. It's under $1 per round if you load it yourself / send it to me.

Top Bottom