• fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'd love to come take some

*Edit.

A pal and I would be willing to drive nearly where ever if needed to grab a couple each.

Last edited:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I could probably handle one or two, but would definitely need them butchered and could pay cash. this seems like an incredible waste of life, otherwise.

ETA: I might be able to take a live one and i'll figure the rest out when the time comes. I have a nice fenced in yard and he'd probably keep my dogs entertained until then. I'd just have to keep my fiancee' from getting too attached (she doesn't eat meat either, so that angle won't work)

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Hopefully I'll get the contact information today. I know he's probably hoping some single person or place will take delivery of all of them or most of them, but if I can get his information, I could see perhaps him making a 500 mile run and dropping off a dozen or so here and there to farms that could hold them until they could have a shoot, field-dress, and butcher party.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Are there any organizations that would take the charity? This could feed thousands! Such a waste, but it's hard to handle that quantity.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are there any organizations that would take the charity? This could feed thousands! Such a waste, but it's hard to handle that quantity.
    What about that group that takes deer from hunters in the fall and butcher/process them for the poor? They would have to have a pretty big set up.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Call Kenneth Copeland.

He'll exorcise the coronavirus demons into the herd.

[video=youtube;m2s0nB2VPvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2s0nB2VPvs[/video]

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We will take one. I can probably get another couple taken by folks if I start asking around.

Too bad I don't think the Seymour processor can handle that many hogs at once. I can't see them having that much cooler space available.

If I had a truck and the trailer, I would make a haul for the Indy area. Unfortunately, I can't.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    Would it be easier if someone found a butcher who would take delivery if it came with a list of "here's a hundred people who will buy them after they're butchered"? Or maybe there aren't many butchers who operate on the 400 pigs-a-day scale...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Would it be easier if someone found a butcher who would take delivery if it came with a list of "here's a hundred people who will buy them after they're butchered"? Or maybe there aren't many butchers who operate on the 400 pigs-a-day scale... and have healthy employees.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    UPDATE # 2 - Well I just heard back from my nephew "Hogs are all spoken for as of now. They may be in the same boat again in two weeks. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help."

I will let him know that if he can get the farmer in question to post a contact number we can share, perhaps next go-round (if the plant hasn't re-opened) would be easier...!!!

I guess if anyone got at least some preliminary plans together to handle a few or a bunch of hogs to butcher, keep the plans/telephone tree ready - there could be more, and I'm sure this guy isn't the only one with animals to butcher but no facility to accept them.

I'll post it to this thread if I hear anything more.

Thanks.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    P.S. I heard lots of vegetable growers in the south are plowing under perfectly good vegetables for similar reasons, and an egg producer was on the news for having to kill 41,000 chickens this week.

Such a bummer.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I can remember our nextdoor neighbors doing it in their basement when I was a kid (they were straight out of the hills of Tennessee). All of the "dressing" work was done I think, by the time they got them home, but they would cut them up into the various cuts of meat. I remember helping package it up and labeling the butcher paper-wrapped "packages".

They would render their own lard in the back yard in a cast iron kettle over a fire. It was like living nextdoor to the Beverly Hillbillies. :): The mom even made her own lye soap.

I watched my family (grandparents and uncle, mostly) do it on a makeshift table out on the fenced in back patio when I was about 9. It was the whole process - uncle just went to the farm and they shot the hog in the head and threw it in the trunk.

Pigs are stinky animals, even more so when you open them up. Something I'd prefer not to have to do, but I could if necessary.

We've been having more backyard fires recently, and trying my hand at making soap has crossed my mind a few times with all the ash we've made... I may now have to look it up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We butchered 6-8 hogs at a time as a family when I was a kid. Remember my grandma boiling hogs heads and the after skinning the head, mincing the face meat, for minced meat pie. Real minced meat pie! Can't even think about what they call minced meat pie nowadays...

It just isn't the sensibilities of today... Pu**ies

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    We butchered 6-8 hogs at a time as a family when I was a kid. Remember my grandma boiling hogs heads and the after skinning the head, mincing the face meat, for minced meat pie. Real minced meat pie! Can't even think about what they call minced meat pie nowadays...

It just isn't the sensibilities of today... Pu**ies

My favorite was opening the fridge and having the head parked right next to the milk, staring back out at me :):

Top Bottom