• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    The local meat processor near me (maddie moo's in mechanicsburg, you can find them on facebook) ran a special on half and whole hogs and got over 500 voicemails in 2 days. I dont know if they need suppliers but it may be a avenue to look into for farmers.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    When I was a kid, my stepdad had an annual hog roast/kegger. Lots of those times, we did everything except the killing. They do smell, but no worse than deer, imo.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Any other reports of farmers not being able to get their livestock or crops do to a processor?

Or any other reports of processors/butchers not being able to source enough livestock to meet consumer demand?

In reading through this thread, just curious if there are any other recent reports of similar situations.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Any other reports of farmers not being able to get their livestock or crops do to a processor?

Or any other reports of processors/butchers not being able to source enough livestock to meet consumer demand?

In reading through this thread, just curious if there are any other recent reports of similar situations.
    I have a neighbor who normally sells feeder cattle that he's bottle fed, he's had to keep some and now has about 20 at 1200 lbs and is trying to develop the "direct to consumer" approach. He's always done that with a few per year but now has 20 ready or very close.
    The problem is getting in at the local processors. some are booking into next year.

If you can take a whole beef, I've got a source.
    He's at $1.35/lb live weight, normal yield is 60-65%, so if you take a 1200lb cow you'll get 750 lbs of steaks, hamburger, roasts, whatever. puts you at $2.16/lb if you can do your own butchering.

I also have a neighbor who will sell hogs for 30 cents a pound if you want to pick them up. Guessing 230 lb animals or so. He moves about 350/week IIRC.

This is all justl north of indy, Sheridan area.
    Organizing this could be tricky, lets see what the demand is here...

Edit to clarify: You don't have to take a whole beef, you just have to coordinate the butchering or make the appointment at a processor - that's what I meant by coordinating could be tricky if there are people that want halves or quarters.
    Also, the neighbor with the hogs has been stopped from delivering them, to more accurately answer your question.
    As far as "crops" being delivered, the only thing affecting corn is the ethanol plants being closed, and it's a mighty big affect, but not directly to food, except in the by-product manufacturing of CO2 from the ethanol plants.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    So.. we need 400 INGOers to commit to one hog each, and make arrangements with the butcher?

I'd be down for one. Can't do more than one, and can't do more than pick it up FROM the butcher when done. I CAN pay cash (check, or paypal).

I really hate to see animals go to waste like that.

What would be an approximate cost for the buyer?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    What would be an approximate cost for the buyer?
    Not sure if you're asking about processing fees, but those run about 350 for a side of beef and 150 for a whole hog, that can change some based on processing and curing.
    The cost goes up when you start doing quarters of beef.
    The other numbers are in the post above yours, 1620 for a whole cow and 70 for a hog.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There is no reason to put these animals down. The farmers all went into specialization, tore out the fences, and the sides shall never meet again.

The animals are raised largely in huge buildings.

The farmers posess just enough food to meet the contact.

The hog and cattle farmers often have little land, and need what they have for crops if they have a grain side.

The fences are gone to let them just "hang out" and get past this.

As time passes they will grow beyond what processors want.

It is freaking ugly out there...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    There is no reason to put these animals down. The farmers all went into specialization, tore out the fences, and the sides shall never meet again.

The animals are raised largely in huge buildings.

The farmers posess just enough food to meet the contact.

The hog and cattle farmers often have little land, and need what they have for crops if they have a grain side.

The fences are gone to let them just "hang out" and get past this.

As time passes they will grow beyond what processors want.

It is freaking ugly out there...
    My opinion is we are forced into specialization, or out. Sure we make the choice. Are we supposed to choose to fall behind into poverty so America can enjoy the bucolic view?

The animals are raised in large buildings for their health, and for meeting the demand for protein. Raising them in the open is akin to demanding we all go organic right now; you'll starve.

My neighbor with the hogs doesn't raise them on contract, he's an independent producer. Not to say they may be forward contracted for pricing purposes, but they are his hogs, he is not part of the vertical integration machine.

He owns at least 1000 acres, mostly paid for and farms a couple thousand. He has the resources he needs for feed, and manure disposal, and buys very little fertilizer.

Pretty tough to put that many hogs raised in confinement outside all of a sudden, and I guess my point is if you're raising to meet demand, it's not outside.

We will not grow beyond what processors want, at least not for more than a season. Markets work.

It is ugly.

We can wish for the "good old days", but we can't go back. We can buy local, whether that means you trade eggs for milk or buy down the road or just from a small processor. It comes down to will we pay?

I am trying to do a little something to keep from needlessly putting animals down. Wanna learn to butcher hogs and feed a city? (And take a real step back toward the good old days and connectedness?)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Something must be working right when I can walk into the grocery and buy whole pork loins and boneless skinless chicken breast for about half the price of ground beef.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was a Planet Money Indicator podcast about a potato farmer in Idaho - just a gigantic pile of potatoes he couldn't move.

Made a post on FB - "free potatoes" and folks came from many states away and loaded up vehicles with spuds.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    There was a Planet Money Indicator podcast about a potato farmer in Idaho - just a gigantic pile of potatoes he couldn't move.

Made a post on FB - "free potatoes" and folks came from many states away and loaded up vehicles with spuds.
    I found out today I have a different neighbor that is doing the “FB come and get ‘em” thing with his hogs, he’s moved a dozen or so and expects to move more, he’s at 40 cents/lb.
    Apparently there are some backyard butchering rules that can get around all the USDA inspections, the consumer does need to be involved but gets the help of someone that knows how to butcher.
    I also heard of an Amish outfit in the southern part of the state that goes around with a refrigerated truck and butchers in your backyard that does have some USDA inspections, this seems like a sensible solution. The ultimate old timers have the knowledge.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If there are hogs or cattle available I’m interested. I can take 6 hogs at least and probably 3-5 head of cattle. I’d need to confirm the cattle number.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    If there are hogs or cattle available I’m interested. I can take 6 hogs at least and probably 3-5 head of cattle. I’d need to confirm the cattle number.
    They’re available.
    There is a member here picking up 3 hogs tomorrow, we can make it more if you’re ready. I know that’s short notice. The only thing my hog farmer neighbor asks is that you bring a clean trailer that hasn’t been around other hogs.
    They're 280-300 lbs now.
    If this is too short of notice we’ll make it work if you want to, we will be getting busy planting however so will need to work around that.

This can go for anybody on here as well.

I’ve got nothing in this, would just like to connect food to ones that need it and negate some wasted food, even if it’s just a little bit in the big picture.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    They’re available.
    There is a member here picking up 3 hogs tomorrow, we can make it more if you’re ready. I know that’s short notice. The only thing my hog farmer neighbor asks is that you bring a clean trailer that hasn’t been around other hogs.
    They're 280-300 lbs now.
    If this is too short of notice we’ll make it work if you want to, we will be getting busy planting however so will need to work around that.

This can go for anybody on here as well.

I’ve got nothing in this, would just like to connect food to ones that need it and negate some wasted food, even if it’s just a little bit in the big picture.

My brother is the one housing them, waiting to hear back from him. Just sent him the word. I believe his trailer has only been used for cattle. I’ll DM you as soon as I hear back. It may be him not me if it has to happen tomorrow as I’m on shift at FH tomorrow.

Top Bottom