• ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    longest build EVER!!!
    a few steps closer to final build... still waiting on tax stamp, as this is going to be an sbr.
    AllenM did the cerakote job and helped smooth out my 'lightening holes'... It's AWESOME! Color filled today. Paint was still tacky, so it's showing a bit of glare (Flat black), but I couldn't wait to get photos!

DSCN3957_zpsxo29pq6p.jpg

Robby MaQ, I am so grateful you posted this picture. I absolutely love it. There is drool all over my keyboard and my breathing has gotten heavy.

Robby you inspired me to do something very similar but on my INGO lower. The serial # I received has a special meaning to me and I knew I would never get rid of this rifle, so I wanted to do something special with it.

I went to Indy Laser and had Wendell do a deep engraving of my INGO avatar. Of course you know all this because you were so generous to do the art work for me. I wanted to share with you and the others that have been following your thread my finished product.

This photo shows the depth of the engraving.

IMG_3867_zpsfyiezw3c.jpg

This is what she looks like with the color fill done.

IMG_3875_zpsdpm9uueq.jpg

I also color filled the other side. I think the black and white contrast really makes the engravings pop. This lower isn't being used on anything "tactical" so I'm not worried about the white being too flashy.

IMG_3876_zpslo9mcc49.jpg

Robby, I don't know how to thank you enough for taking my idea and bringing it to life with the artwork you did for this project. Indy Laser Engraving did a fantastic job. It was really cool to sit and watch this process. It did take quiet a while to get this deep an engraving. Thankfully Wendell could set the machine to do the engraving and then he continue to try and get the water out from underneath his house while it ran.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Robby you inspired me to do something very similar but on my INGO lower. The serial # I received has a special meaning to me and I knew I would never get rid of this rifle, so I wanted to do something special with it.

I went to Indy Laser and had Wendell do a deep engraving of my INGO avatar. Of course you know all this because you were so generous to do the art work for me. I wanted to share with you and the others that have been following your thread my finished product.

This photo shows the depth of the engraving.

IMG_3867_zpsfyiezw3c.jpg

This is what she looks like with the color fill done.

IMG_3875_zpsdpm9uueq.jpg

I also color filled the other side. I think the black and white contrast really makes the engravings pop. This lower isn't being used on anything "tactical" so I'm not worried about the white being too flashy.

IMG_3876_zpslo9mcc49.jpg

Robby, I don't know how to thank you enough for taking my idea and bringing it to life with the artwork you did for this project. Indy Laser Engraving did a fantastic job. It was really cool to sit and watch this process. It did take quiet a while to get this deep an engraving. Thankfully Wendell could set the machine to do the engraving and then he continue to try and get the water out from underneath his house while it ran.

Nice work! You did the colorfill! Now tell everyone else how easy it is! (despite the scary anodised graying out effect)

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Nice work! You did the colorfill! Now tell everyone else how easy it is! (despite the scary anodised graying out effect)

I was anxious to get it done but tired when I did it. I need to go back and touch it up in a few places and get some better pictures. I used the paint thinner and it didn't leave the scary greying out effect you talked about. Thankfully. Glad you warned me about it though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I was anxious to get it done but tired when I did it. I need to go back and touch it up in a few places and get some better pictures. I used the paint thinner and it didn't leave the scary greying out effect you talked about. Thankfully. Glad you warned me about it though.

Good deal. If anyone else get's the graying effect on an anodized lower, simply wait a day for the paint and such to cure, then go back and oil/rub the hell out of it... it will come back good as new.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    What kinda paint did you use? What kinda surface prep? Any hardner in you paint?

Can you apply a film or tape to the part before laser engraving to act like a paint mask?

Aaron

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I used Testors model paint. That's what Robby recommended. I used the paint thinner as the prep. Just washed out the engraving to make sure there wasn't any dust or oily residue. Then color fill, let dry for thirty minutes and come back with paint thinner on a wedged makeup sponge. I wasn't patient enough for the paint to dry and ended up pulling too much out of the areas around the dog's head and collar. I had to go back and refill those areas.

As far as taping off any areas, I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at. You only paint where the laser has engraved and the rest of the finish on the lower isn't touched.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Any enamel paint will work. testors is just easy to find.
    Make sure the area is cleaned of oil first... Apply the paint liberally and let sit for 20-30 minutes or so, then use those wedged makeup sponges women use to reomove excess paint that ended up on the face of the lower. Dab it with some acetone first, and rub lightly in small circular motions around the edges. Don't grind too hard... just let the acetone do it's work slowly (you don't want to dig into the colorfilled areas).
    Warning... on anodized lowers, this may 'grey' the finish of the lower. No worries... after a day, go back and oil and rub the heck out of it, and your rich black color will come back

Top Bottom