911 - Please hold, all operators are busy.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There is no new thing under the sun.
    Twenty years ago, an event occurred and I told my friend to dial 911. Nobody ever picked up. It just rang and rang...so long that I actually had things under control and told her just go ahead and hang up. Ten minutes later, my phone rang and it was 911 dispatch telling me we should not have hung up. I explained that they took so long, we fixed the problem... she told me the delay was due to relay...county to local back to county back to local. Whatever. As stated upthread, don't rely on others.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I came home to a break-in a few months ago, two year old daughter in tow. Based on what I saw/ heard it was very likely the burgler(s) were still inside when I opened the front door.

I was unarmed at the time, so I backed out and called 911. Got the on hold recording for approximately 5 minutes. After I got through to dispatch it took another 15 minutes for a single patrol car to arrive. This was at 5:30 p.m. on a weekday and the house is about 4 blocks from the northside sub station.

I felt pretty helpless. From that day forward I made a commitment to my family that I would carry at all times when legally possible.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm the first to admit we need to be self sufficient. You should not leave your personal safety in another's hands, however at times I need more resources than I can possibly provide. I'm shocked to see that many others have received this recording in times of needs as well.

It shouldn't be something that we accept. If the city is going to have a 911 system, it needs to operate as intended. I'd rather NOT have it and know that ahead of time, than have it not work when I need it.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I called a week or so ago to report that a car had flipped on its roof on 465. I got the busy dispatcher message as well. It's a good thing I wasn't being raped or on fire, or even worse, raped while on fire.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm the first to admit we need to be self sufficient. You should not leave your personal safety in another's hands, however at times I need more resources than I can possibly provide. I'm shocked to see that many others have received this recording in times of needs as well.

It shouldn't be something that we accept. If the city is going to have a 911 system, it needs to operate as intended. I'd rather NOT have it and know that ahead of time, than have it not work when I need it.

That's what has me puzzled. We're just a select group of people and very few at that. To see that it is this common amongst any group is ridiculous.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I came home to a break-in a few months ago, two year old daughter in tow. Based on what I saw/ heard it was very likely the burgler(s) were still inside when I opened the front door.

I was unarmed at the time, so I backed out and called 911. Got the on hold recording for approximately 5 minutes. After I got through to dispatch it took another 15 minutes for a single patrol car to arrive. This was at 5:30 p.m. on a weekday and the house is about 4 blocks from the northside sub station.

I felt pretty helpless. From that day forward I made a commitment to my family that I would carry at all times when legally possible.

+1. I had a home broken in too years ago. Wife got home and found it with the kid while I was at work. I had her call my brother who was on shift at the firehouse, and I called 911. I recall being on hold 10+ minutes (ladder truck got there by then). They cleared the house (she had been inside when she found it then ran out), and I made a 30 minute drive home only to wait 20 minutes before the officer arrived. Needless to say, we no longer live in IMPDs jurisdiction. Nothing against the officer, he was fantastic. Just a messed up system.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    +1. I had a home broken in too years ago. Wife got home and found it with the kid while I was at work. I had her call my brother who was on shift at the firehouse, and I called 911. I recall being on hold 10+ minutes (ladder truck got there by then). They cleared the house (she had been inside when she found it then ran out), and I made a 30 minute drive home only to wait 20 minutes before the officer arrived. Needless to say, we no longer live in IMPDs jurisdiction. Nothing against the officer, he was fantastic. Just a messed up system.

its time to start deputizing jimmy johns employees!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Delaware county isn't much better, I live in Marion, but travel there a lot.

Called 911 as I spotted a drunk wildly weaving all over the Muncie bypass... hold, then someone took the info, said they would dispatch someone, and then wouldn't stay on the line. Had to repeat the process five times, and never did see a damn cop. Finally he turned off on 3 and got into Henry county. THEY NAILED HIS ARSE IN FIVE MINUTES FLAT!

Only called once in Marion, domestic disturbance in the house across the street... 6 cops showed up in about 7 minutes or so.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A fire crew cleared your house looking for a bad guy???

That's the story the Mrs said. She said she stayed outside but my brother and the crew went in and cleared the house for her and my two year old. Since she had already been in the house with the little one, I don't blame him.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Start educating people that 911 is for emergencies, medical or police.
    Fine people that don't get the message.
    Ensure the equipment is up to the task.
    Ensure manning levels are right.
    Ensure personnel are properly trained.

IN THAT ORDER, and the system will right itself.... there are more people that abuse the system than there are that need it by a LONG shot

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    That's what has me puzzled. We're just a select group of people and very few at that. To see that it is this common amongst any group is ridiculous.

Like it or not, that is exactly how MECA is set up. Similar to a call center for Comcast or elsewhere, the 'hold' recording plays until routed to an available call taker.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know when you hear stories of people calling for an ambulance for things like: a ingrown toenail, or a sore tooth, or a boil on their ass.

You know that can't be real frequent can it?

I had these hillbillies living in back of me a couple years ago, (No doubt Denny has been over there before. If not for a drunken shouting match something else I'm sure.) Anywaaays, every other night for weeks at a time the EMS would show up to take her to hospital for "stomach pain" some BS. Needed those pillz to conteract the tax payer provided oxygen tanks and cigarettes, I guess....

I better stop right now - I think a cramped my fingers with that text rant just now. Should I call 9-1-1? It is pretty painful...

Willegene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    South Indy
    I wont get into detail about the 2 times I have called 911 but the first on ended up in me hanging up on them, HORRIBLE service. The second time was good service and fast response by the ambulance, didn't end up needing them but was nice that they made it in a timely manner

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've had a slow response (mentioned above), but I've also had a very quick response times from Marion County.

I called around 2 a.m. on a Friday night/ Sat morning when my wife was robbed in front of our house. We had a unit on scene within two minutes of dialing 911.

Pretty much the same story when some punk threw a brick through our window on a Sunday night around midnight. Same IMPD officer (B. Hopkins) out front within a matter of minutes.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Like it or not, that is exactly how MECA is set up. Similar to a call center for Comcast or elsewhere, the 'hold' recording plays until routed to an available call taker.

NOT.

No one is debating if the system is working "technically" correct or not. Sure if all the lines are busy a recoding and being placed on hold is how the system is designed. The real point is that there should be enough operators so that no one gets the recoding.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've had a slow response (mentioned above), but I've also had a very quick response times from Marion County.

I called around 2 a.m. on a Friday night/ Sat morning when my wife was robbed in front of our house. We had a unit on scene within two minutes of dialing 911.

Pretty much the same story when some punk threw a brick through our window on a Sunday night around midnight. Same IMPD officer (B. Hopkins) out front within a matter of minutes.
    I know someone who called 911 in Indy for a fight with serious injury and the cop (yes 1) didn't show up for over an hour! And when he did the lazy ass didn't even get out of his damn car!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I know someone who called 911 in Indy for a fight with serious injury and the cop (yes 1) didn't show up for over an hour! And when he did the lazy ass didn't even get out of his damn car!

Did medics show up? If the injury was reported, then a medic would have also been sent, though they would "stage" until they were cleared to come in. If medics or police did not show up in a timely manner than either the caller did not give adequate or specific enough information about the situation or the dispatcher was inept.

Top Bottom