911 - Please hold, all operators are busy.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hamilton County is much better than Marion County. I would be amazed to hear of anyone ever being on hold there. In fact the dispatchers are usually competing to see who can hit the pick-up button first.

The problem with larger cities is our legal system. Anyone can be sued for even minor mistakes, so dispatch cannot legally take the risk of ending a call, no matter how stupid. If someone calls to report a paper cut and wants an ambulance, then by God they are gonna get it. No matter how silly or trivial, our first responders are not permitted to dismiss anything as "unnecessary" simply because the risk of a law suit is too great.

Our out of control legal system is ruining our society!

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    That's why I carry a 12 gauge pistol grip in the trunk of my car......unloaded, but with six rounds of double ought in the side saddle; and wear an ESEE 6 as my EDC. When I'm done with a miscreant, the coroner can figure how to put him back together again and I'll sit, unarmed, in my rocking chair and wait for 911 to respond while I watch TV.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I know someone who called 911 in Indy for a fight with serious injury and the cop (yes 1) didn't show up for over an hour! And when he did the lazy ass didn't even get out of his damn car!
    The number of times IMPD has failed to adequately respond to the call nearly outnumbers the times when their response has been appropriate. Though I will add that when it is on, it is awesomely on. Very good service, to borrow a phrase from the private sector. One didn't even get out of his car to investigate the call about forced-entry in progress. And twice they walked around a building that had been broken into, leaving me and/or Mr88GT to deal with whomever might be in there.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    my wife was a 911 operator in georgia for about 6 months the equipment was **** the computers constantly locked up calls were dropped dispatches were routed to the wrong board and this was after the upgrade and new computers. she got so frustrated with the whole thing she quit

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    In one of my previous careers, I had occasion to be in both Police and Fire Dispatch quite often (partially because I worked in the Public Safety Answering Point) and I know that 10 years ago they had some critical shortages in personnel. I was also present in Police Dispatch when every single dispatcher AND all three supervisors were handling calls - and it wasn't all that an infrequent occurrence.

The folks I worked with ten years ago are mostly gone now, but I'm still aware that frivolous calls to 911 are a continuing problem which ties dispatchers and lines up while actual emergencies are taking place. I hate to say it, but no reasonable amount of new equipment or personnel will make the situation any better; the parasites in our communities can easily use up 50% more resources than we can afford to apply to their problems.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Did medics show up? If the injury was reported, then a medic would have also been sent, though they would "stage" until they were cleared to come in. If medics or police did not show up in a timely manner than either the caller did not give adequate or specific enough information about the situation or the dispatcher was inept.
    No medic came. I can't speak to if the caller turned down medical or not

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's why I carry a 12 gauge pistol grip in the trunk of my car......unloaded, but with six rounds of double ought in the side saddle; and wear an ESEE 6 as my EDC. When I'm done with a miscreant, the coroner can figure how to put him back together again and I'll sit, unarmed, in my rocking chair and wait for 911 to respond while I watch TV.

You should post more often. That was hilarious.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And what if your 911 call is that you need paramedics because you've been shot?
    There are times when it' nice to have cavalry to show up.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

My self defense situation has me (or someone nearby) calling 911 at the first safe opportunity. I'm willing and able to defend myself until they arrive but I'd rather they arrive sooner rather than later.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Did medics show up? If the injury was reported, then a medic would have also been sent, though they would "stage" until they were cleared to come in. If medics or police did not show up in a timely manner than either the caller did not give adequate or specific enough information about the situation or the dispatcher was inept.
    Dispatchers have it rough at times but most are professional as possible. This is a true story/recording of the classic "Bambulance" call

Not offensive to me but some may not like all the Beep'd out stuff. Travel at your own risk.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-tyc8&p=bob and tom ambulance story&type=

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My self defense situation has me (or someone nearby) calling 911 at the first safe opportunity. I'm willing and able to defend myself until they arrive but I'd rather they arrive sooner rather than later.

I was responding to rambocat and pointing out that not all emergencies can be handled by us. That's why it's nice to have the cavalry.
    And that's why the system should work.
    If there are problems in equipment, training, manning, or incorrect usage, then remedies should be applied.
    The system should work.

Top Bottom