• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan-Richards

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2019
    Lafayette
    These threads are interesting, as someone relatively new to guns who was looking for a good conceal carry round Ive come to the conclusion that caliber doesnt matter, training, marksmanship, gun reliability, are what matters most. Due to 9MM being the cheapest I choose it since it allows me to get more trigger time.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    These threads are interesting, as someone relatively new to guns who was looking for a good conceal carry round Ive come to the conclusion that caliber doesnt matter, training, marksmanship, gun reliability, are what matters most. Due to 9MM being the cheapest
    I choose it since it allows me to get more trigger time.

I agree.
    One can never get enough Trigger Time. :):

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have witnessed deer shot in the chest with a 22 LR expire.

Some of you need to man up and step up the 10mm !

You never know if or when the American Bison will retake Indiana you need to be prepared.

10mm? Pft, arguing over a difference of 100ftlbs from common calibers.

Step up to 50AE. Managed to concealed carry it once, was still more comfortable than carrying a glock 45acp/10mm.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    These threads are interesting, as someone relatively new to guns who was looking for a good conceal carry round Ive come to the conclusion that caliber doesnt matter, training, marksmanship, gun reliability, are what matters most. Due to 9MM being the cheapest I choose it since it allows me to get more trigger time.

I identify with you, as someone who 2.5 yrs. ago was new to the gun/ammo/CC world after a 30 yr. hiatus.
    I soak up everything written here and other articles that come my way concerning the "caliber wars."
    I have tried everything at the range on the small side, the S&W 351PD AirLite .22 Magnum Revolver revolver & the little Beretta Bobcat's .25 acp to larger calibers, like the Taurus "the Judge's" .410 bore shot shells and the .45 Colt cartridge (with its small stock grip was quite a handful).
    To simplify things, I eliminated all but the .22LR (fun at the range) & the 9mm & either a .38 special or .357 magnum revolver for home protection & sometimes CC.
    There are 9mm that are very small (loved my Ruger EC9s), but a little .32 Beretta crept back in for nostalgic reasons (used to have "a few") & when I need an absolute smallest CC.
    Enjoy your journey, and don't be surprised if you change your mind and end up with other calibers here and there.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Either. With today's modern defensive ammunition, I'd trust either.

I don't like 10mm, but only because it's more expensive, and hard to find. It's a fine caliber.

I love the .45, but mostly because of the 1911 I learned to shoot it in. This part is where I focus on the gun over the round. Nothing fits my hand like a 1911. Nothing is a crisp as a good 1911 single stage trigger. I'm the most accurate shooting my 1911. That makes the .45 ACP the best round for me. However. my 1911 is rather heavy, has limited ammo capacity, and I can't mount a light to it. I feel that a light is a must on a defensive gun. but, (and there's always a but) if I get a double stack .45 that wonderful grip is gone. (Fat round problems would also turn me from the 10mm probably)

My Glock 17 is a 9mm, and the smaller round makes a double stack gun more viable for me. I ended up going with that as my daily carry gun, and my 1911 is now my "dress" gun (It's stainless) for those times when I have to look nice, tuck my shirt in, and have to open carry as a result.

If you can be effective with the smaller, lighter package, that's a win. One day, if I can afford it, I may look for a nice double stack 1911 in 9mm with a light rail. (if there is such an animal) That would be a dream. Perfect grip, trigger, and weapon light capability, with a capable round.

Last edited:

Alan-Richards

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2019
    Lafayette
    I identify with you, as someone who 2.5 yrs. ago was new to the gun/ammo/CC world after a 30 yr. hiatus.
    I soak up everything written here and other articles that come my way concerning the "caliber wars."
    I have tried everything at the range on the small side, the S&W 351PD AirLite .22 Magnum Revolver revolver & the little Beretta Bobcat's .25 acp to larger calibers, like the Taurus "the Judge's" .410 bore shot shells and the .45 Colt cartridge (with its small stock grip was quite a handful).
    To simplify things, I eliminated all but the .22LR (fun at the range) & the 9mm & either a .38 special or .357 magnum revolver for home protection & sometimes CC.
    There are 9mm that are very small (loved my Ruger EC9s), but a little .32 Beretta crept back in for nostalgic reasons (used to have "a few") & when I need an absolute smallest CC.
    Enjoy your journey, and don't be surprised if you change your mind and end up with other calibers here and there.

Oh I have several different calibers, but as far what I would argue as an all around *best* would 9mm for reasons listed. I find .45 and 7.62x25 excellent calibers to shoot and feel very confident in them as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Have a Glock 20SF. Them 200gr WFNGC bullets going 1257fps have some serious power.
    Sometimes I miss my G20SF. But not in awhile. Very glad I dropped down to 9mm and can get cheap range ammo instead of $35 for American Eagle.

I reload now, but have no desire to go back to 10mm just because all the platforms I want to shoot it in are ones I'd not want to carry. Even the G20 was a heavy beast, and it's pretty light as 10mms go.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I prefer a 9mm round for the lower recoil. But the 45 round in a JHP is truly got to be the supreme knockdown punch.
    Studies have shown that the aforementioned rounds are all fairly close in performance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    10mm? Pft, arguing over a difference of 100ftlbs from common calibers.

Step up to 50AE. Managed to concealed carry it once, was still more comfortable than carrying a glock 45acp/10mm.

No argument on the 50 but man 10mm is a steel punishing round. 9mm ball is Pffftt by comparison to 10mm ball.
    40 is right between the 2.

This is from the Cmouse non-scientific testing. But we did have pocket protectors and tapped up bridges on our eye gear. And graph paper. And one of us had a lab coat.....:):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Take a 200gr WFNGC bullet load it into a 40 S&W then take the same bullet load it into a 10mm full power not the garbage most factory rounds are. Shoot them into ballistics jell. 10mm will win by a large margin for penetration. 9mm with a hard cast 147gr SWC won't come close as well.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Take a 200gr WFNGC bullet load it into a 40 S&W then take the same bullet load it into a 10mm full power not the garbage most factory rounds are. Shoot them into ballistics jell. 10mm will win by a large margin for penetration. 9mm with a hard cast 147gr SWC won't come close as well.

I realize that Americans are getting fatter, but 40" of penetration is only useful if you can get three bad guys to stand in a nice line for you.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I'm quite happy with what my 185gr 9mm has managed to do.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I prefer a 9mm round for the lower recoil. But the 45 round in a JHP is truly got to be the supreme knockdown punch.
    Studies have shown that the aforementioned rounds are all fairly close in performance.

9mm is easier and softer to the touch, especially in a larger-framed pistol, that's for sure.
    But in close-quarters, I prefer a heavier round, one that has a better ability to incapacitate quickly.

I'm quite happy with what my 185gr 9mm has managed to do.

I didn't realize that they made a 9mm round in the 185 grain range...
    I thought that 9mm maxed at 147 (for most) and 150 grain in the HST...
    Even .40 only reaches 180 grain in weight...
    I thought only the .45 acp came in 185 grain weight...which is actually the grain/weight I CC in my Glock 36???

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    9mm is easier and softer to the touch, especially in a larger-framed pistol, that's for sure.
    But in close-quarters, I prefer a heavier round, one that has a better ability to incapacitate quickly.

I didn't realize that they made a 9mm round in the 185 grain range...
    I thought that 9mm maxed at 147 (for most) and 150 grain in the HST...
    Even .40 only reaches 180 grain in weight...
    I thought only the .45 acp came in 185 grain weight...which is actually the grain/weight I CC in my Glock 36???

I’m a fan of heavier bullets as well. I do need to break out the chrono though to see what running a 230g .45 through a Glock 30 is giving me. The 185 is a solid choice though and it might make sense to drop down to that one if the 230 is losing too much energy with the short barrel.

Top Bottom