• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trogski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    New Carlisle
    It depends on how accurate you are and what you feel safer with. 9mm aint bad for the amount of ammo but i prefer a .45. Yes its less ammo but as long as you can hit, it will take less to knock them down.

Trogski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    New Carlisle
    Shoot what you shoot best. The more rounds on target in the shortest amount of time is best. Each of the rounds has its good and bad points. This is not a game. Find the gun that you can handle the best. Most are now available in various calibers. Try to use each.

Very true. If everyone was comfortable using only one we wouldn't have so many variations. Everyone is built differently and needs to adjust accordingly. I prefer a .45 where as my wife is more comfortable with a 9mm

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It depends on how accurate you are and what you feel safer with. 9mm aint bad for the amount of ammo but i prefer a .45. Yes its less ammo but as long as you can hit, it will take less to knock them down.

Handguns don't knock people down, accurate shot placement will make them fall (eventually). .45 might cut a slightly larger hole than a 9mm (depending on ammo selection) but it possesses precious little as far as superior effectiveness. I can stand and shoot ragged holes with just about any common pistol caliber but doing so against a moving target in a dynamic situation with my life on the line is a very different matter entirely. I'm not attacking you personally for your choice but I can tell you from both experience as well as speaking with dozens of people involved in life and death situations while utilizing firearms to protect themselves that hitting a moving target while your body is fighting you every step of the way is not an easy feat to accomplish regardless of what one may be able to accomplish on a shooting range with no more pressure than a timer can produce.

All things considered...

It typically takes more than a few rounds to end a gunfight.
    Handgun rounds which impact non vital areas are virtually worthless in the grand scheme of things as they will not put an end to the adversary's fight before they have time to put you down.
    It takes a bullet from your adversary's pistol far less time time reach you than it takes you to reload your pistol.

Take emotion, ego, tradition and bravado out of the equation and simply look at the problems with handgun calibers and handgun confrontations objectively and a few things will become apparent.

1. Handguns suck at stopping people.
    2. A marginal hit with a .999 nitro express magnum turbo express pistol round isn't worth 2% of a well placed shot from a significantly smaller caliber.
    3. People don't typically stand still during a fight, particularly when they're being shot at.
    4. Getting a bullet placed into a worthwhile part of the body while your adversary is not standing still is unbelievably challenging.

All that said...the likelihood of any of us need to defend our lives with a pistol is extremely remote. If you shoot nothing but .45ACP then by all means carry on and be the best you can be with what you've chosen. Just don't fall victim to the belief that a .45ACP will bring anything worthwhile to the table over a .40 S&W or a 9mm as they all have significant limitations. If you want to end a gunfight quickly bring a rifle to the party, anything moving 2200FPS or faster will do nicely.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Handguns don't knock people down, accurate shot placement will make them fall (eventually). .45 might cut a slightly larger hole than a 9mm (depending on ammo selection) but it possesses precious little as far as superior effectiveness. I can stand and shoot ragged holes with just about any common pistol caliber but doing so against a moving target in a dynamic situation with my life on the line is a very different matter entirely. I'm not attacking you personally for your choice but I can tell you from both experience as well as speaking with dozens of people involved in life and death situations while utilizing firearms to protect themselves that hitting a moving target while your body is fighting you every step of the way is not an easy feat to accomplish regardless of what one may be able to accomplish on a shooting range with no more pressure than a timer can produce.

All things considered...

Handgun rounds which impact non vital areas are virtually worthless in the grand scheme of things as they will not put an end to the adversary's fight before they have time to put you down.
    It takes a bullet from your adversary's pistol far less time time reach you than it takes you to reload your pistol.

Take emotion, ego, tradition and bravado out of the equation and simply look at the problems with handgun calibers and handgun confrontations objectively and a few things will become apparent.

2. A marginal hit with a .999 nitro express magnum turbo express pistol round isn't worth 2% of a well placed shot from a significantly smaller caliber.
    3. People don't typically stand still during a fight, particularly when they're being shot at.
    4. Getting a bullet placed into a worthwhile part of the body while your adversary is not standing still is unbelievably challenging.

All that said...the likelihood of any of us need to defend our lives with a pistol is extremely remote. If you shoot nothing but .45ACP then by all means carry on and be the best you can be with what you've chosen. Just don't fall victim to the belief that a .45ACP will bring anything worthwhile to the table over a .40 S&W or a 9mm as they all have significant limitations. If you want to end a gunfight quickly bring a rifle to the party, anything moving 2200FPS or faster will do nicely.

2200FPS is great for shooting BG on BLM in Montana.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Go big or go home.

IKTIYfI.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

All things considered...

Reading this reminds me of a documentary I watched a long time ago about some train robbery by a famous gang, but I"m not sure which one it was in our history: I'm thinking late 1800s before early 1900s, perhaps?
    What I do remember is that one of the robbers was shot 17 times with rifles & lived.
    I was so astounded by this that I never forgot it: 17 rifle rounds!!!!

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Whichever one I can consistently put rounds in a fist sized hole with.

Honestly, Caliber debates are silly. Most modern rounds penetrate nearly the same amount. All of the handgun calibers suck. Use a rifle or a shotgun. ;)
    ^^^^^^ABSOLUTE TRUTH^^^^^^All a HG is supposed to be used for is fighting your way back to your rifle or shotgun.
    I choose to carry 9mm over my 45acp because of two reasons both closely related to one another. #1-9mm is without doubt easier to shoot well then 45acp #2-9mm is MUCH cheaper to shoot the 45acp and to be good enough to be a competent shot with a HG one has to shoot A LOT and it's a lot less fatiguing and enjoyable to shoot 300-400 rounds per range session out of my 9mm Shield VS if it were chambered in 45acp.

If you can afford to shoot enough and often enough to become and just as important remain proficient with a 45acp I see no reason on earth not to do so. I just looked at it from the perspective of economics because my sons all shoot HGs now as well as my AR's and other firearms as well and 22lr and 9mm are considerably more affordable than 223 and 45 acp.

Buy the HG that fits you best and then shoot it as often as you can afford.
    My current favorite full sized semi-auto's are Sig P-320's. I own 3 now two for myself and one my sons share and I can not say enough good about that HG.

Last edited:

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    I picked up a Glock 20 in a trade several years ago and it rapidly became my most trusted carry piece. So 10mm is my choice even though I think 9mm is a close second. I just shoot better with the Glock 20.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It'll do, 2200FPS is great for shooting just about anything that bleeds if the goal is to put them on the ground quickly, better than anything under 2200FPS.

Better only if it hits the intended target. It appears however that many rounds get sprayed (like skunk defense) and 2200fps is the gift that keeps on giving. Through walls, alleys, friendly houses on the block etc, Responsible lead contributions are as rare as overall skill set.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Better only if it hits the intended target. It appears however that many rounds get sprayed (like skunk defense) and 2200fps is the gift that keeps on giving. Through walls, alleys, friendly houses on the block etc, Responsible lead contributions are as rare as overall skill set.

You're the only one talking about imaginary gunfights where your one and only round of "Gods's .45ACP" hits it's intended target in every conceivable scenario that could play out. Through walls, windows, homes, etc.. Keep telling yourself your experiences shooting paper and steel are all you need, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

The only reason I waste my time commenting on your 30 years outdated thinking is in hopes that some folks who read these threads and don't make the mistake of confusing your arrogance as worthwhile experience and God forbid decide to follow your lead. Hopefully they'll at least do their own research to figure out you're full of it. Fortunately your kind is stepping closer to the grave every day and we'll soon be left to consider things in a pragmatic fashion without interruption.

I'm all for hearing a well thought out response whether it's counter to my stance or not but you have yet to provide anything other than the standard drivel people hear when they walk into an old gun store and overhear the group of arrogant old farts grumbling about all of the new fangled junk on the market.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    You're the only one talking about imaginary gunfights where your one and only round of "Gods's .45ACP" hits it's intended target in every conceivable scenario that could play out. Through walls, windows, homes, etc.. Keep telling yourself your experiences shooting paper and steel are all you need, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

The only reason I waste my time commenting on your 30 years outdated thinking is in hopes that some folks who read these threads and don't make the mistake of confusing your arrogance as worthwhile experience and God forbid decide to follow your lead. Hopefully they'll at least do their own research to figure out you're full of it. Fortunately your kind is stepping closer to the grave every day and we'll soon be left to consider things in a pragmatic fashion without interruption.

I'm all for hearing a well thought out response whether it's counter to my stance or not but you have yet to provide anything other than the standard drivel people hear when they walk into an old gun store and overhear the group of arrogant old farts grumbling about all of the new fangled junk on the market.

it’s just so easy. :ar15:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phylodog again.

Somebody rep him please... Phylo, I think many of us appreciate you sharing your experience and info. Definitely provides substantive info and counterpoint to provoke some thought.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    it’s just so easy. :ar15:

Questions just to provoke a response and statements with little to no real info, substance, etc. Yeah, that's easy.

Engaging in a meaningful conversation where there is some actual thought & listening going into it and possibly looking at your own stances in a real way... that's the more difficult part.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I agree with the Phylodog handguns are poor man stoppers and secondary weapons.

Here are some of my observations.
    1. A person being shot at can move faster than you think possible.
    2. A human can take a incredible amount of punishment and keep on ticking.
    3. How can you miss at 10ft ? Because you are scared s&#$less!
    4. Head shots work.
    5. Nothing I have experienced gives you a bigger adrenaline dump than getting shot at.

BTW
    I witnessed a dude take a .50 BMG to the left side of the stomach at about 75m and never broke his stride.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom