• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Where do you get your sten mags? How about that mod for the mag?

Do a simple GOOGLE search and you will find Sten magazines. They are easy to find, and they are cheap too. The modified magazines can be purchased from Olympic Arms. Some people make their own modifications. The other option is to get one of the mag-well inserts that allow you to insert standard un-modified Sten magazines. The inserts are made by a couple sources, cost about $75, and allow you to use any standard AR lower receiver. You simple pop the top, insert the mag well insert, attach a 9mm upper, and fire away. When you want to switch calibers you pop the top, remove the insert, and put on the upper of your choice :do2:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    melensdad said:
    All the other brands I found used dedicated lowers that could only accept 9mm magazines and nothing else.

Where exactly did you look? The only dedicated 9mm lowers that I am aware of are made by RRA (colt pattern) and Oly (glock pattern). The rest all use either a block or modified mags to accomplish compatibility. I am running an ASA slickside upper and an RRA block that uses Colt pattern mags (I use the C-Products mags only). It is a 5.25" barrel under Car. length YHM lightweight guards with an AAC Phantom9 suppressor. The sight is an Aimpoint Comp ML2 2MOA, and the BUIS is a MAD rear and a YHM front.
    attachment.php

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Where exactly did you look? The only dedicated 9mm lowers that I am aware of are made by RRA (colt pattern) and Oly (glock pattern).
    First off, why are you so confrontational? If you found something different than I found that is fine with me. I said in my post "the only ones that I found ..." so I was pretty clear that it was not an absolute statement but simply my observation based on the time of when I was shopping. Further it is certainly possible that the market has responded and changed and now there are more available, honestly I've not looked since I already have mine.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    No, no. I'm not trying to be anything but cordial. Sorry if I came across that way. I've just only ever seen those two dedicated lowers, and I have looked....a lot! The RRA lower is a brand new offering and they can't keep them in stock. The Oly/Glock lowers are not quite as popular, but they are still out there. You just said that all the other lowers you found were dedicated, and I really just want to know what you found. I'd like to know what else is out there. Times are changing, with 5.56 being so expensive, 9mm rifles are gaining popularity because they are cheaper to shoot. That's why RRA came out with their dedicated "blockless" 9mm lower.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You would need a 9mm upper, a magwell block, a 9mm hammer, a 9mm buffer and some 9mm mags. The mag style you chose will dictate what block you need. (or vice versa)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So, would I need to get a new bolt carrier assembly? I'm not trying to be cheap...

okay, yes I am... very cheap... and I'm a complete noob when it comes to conversions.

So I need the following:
    9mm upper
    a magwell block,
    a 9mm hammer,
    a 9mm buffer
    and some 9mm mags.

Anything else?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    So, would I need to get a new bolt carrier assembly? I'm not trying to be cheap...

okay, yes I am... very cheap... and I'm a complete noob when it comes to conversions.

So I need the following:
    9mm upper
    a magwell block,
    a 9mm hammer,
    a 9mm buffer
    and some 9mm mags.

Anything else?

That will get you going.

There are some "mods" that can make life somewhat easier.

For example, if you have the 9mm bolt carrier ramped to mimic that of a standard 5.56 bolt carrier, you can run a standard AR hammer and forego the purchase of the 9mm hammer. Another bonus, by running a standard 5.56 hammer, if you decide to convert the gun back into 5.56 you won't have to change the hammer out. And the biggest gain that comes from ramping the bolt, it doesn't batter the hammer pin, 9mm AR's are well known for breaking hammer pins.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    How is the fit and finish? Just depends on the builder and parts I guess. I always thought 9mm AR would be a lot of fun. But a bit useless as a fighting rifle.

Useless as a fighting rifle? What type of fighting do you do?

If anyone is interested, I have a 9mm Colt RO635 upper, mag block, converted UZI mags/etc. I am looking to sell. I'm just not able to load good subsonic rounds for it and am growing tired of it.

Top Bottom