• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    They definitely could have went with a better name!

[video]https://giphy.com/gifs/qNsjhxXawYYsE/html5[/video]

Every time I see micro roni I think of a very small cheesy side dish... ;)

macaroni-microroni-macroroni-2801836.png

DasOmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2018
    Avon
    I have a Sub 2k my wife uses home defense folded up and tucked away in the right place. I make her practice getting to the gun and then getting to opposite sides of the house. She's no pro but it will suffice granted a Russian wetwork team hasn't breached the house.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Not sure if you're a glock man but have you considered a micro roni? These look pretty slick: https://usa.caagearup.com/caa-micro-roni

That looks pretty sweet, if I already had a glock, I'd get one.

I love how off the rails we go on forums.
    OP: I think I want a hi point (~260 dollars)
    2nd page : suggestions that are double price. (I'm guilty here)
    4th page : you need an MPX (~2000 dollars) nearly 10x the cost.

If I was working on a hi point budget, I'd strongly consider a hi point carbine for HD. There are a ton of reliability tests that prove the platform preforms, but of course there are drawbacks that spending more money can eliminate, but if spending more is not an option the hi point carbine is a good choice to be sitting next to your bed. I can't think of a better semi auto in that price range. Now double your investment and you come into a lot more options, but you don't gain much in the way of reliability, just lose some weight and gain some capacity with more easily available high capacity magazines.

Yeah, problem is I read that Hi-point firing pins routinely get bent in the 9mm carbines. Especially when you insult their intelligence. But seriously, I've read enough that I don't think I could trust my life to it. I feel it's too much of a gamble.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm looking to purchase a CZ Scorpion within the year for this purpose and as a fun range plinker. Unless someone can sway me otherwise of course. From what I've read and seen they're a great option and are very affordable compared to most carbines.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm looking to purchase a CZ Scorpion within the year for this purpose and as a fun range plinker. Unless someone can sway me otherwise of course. From what I've read and seen they're a great option and are very affordable compared to most carbines.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/review-video-cz-scorpion-evo-3-s1-9mm-pistol/

Watch this video first.

[FONT=&amp]I had no issues with maintenance throughout the entire evaluation, but halfway through our assessment, we were made aware of reports that the CZ Scorpion would fire out of battery, cracking the receiver. Our initial testing confirmed these reports, as we observed the Scorpion consistently firing out of battery when, for example, a loose primer was inserted into the receiver next to the breech. The loose primer pushed the bolt out of battery slightly when it was sent home, but the weapon still fired. We did not test this with live ammunition, only primed cases, but it was clear from the primer in the primed case being pushed out of the case that the rear of the case was not being fully supported.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]We spoke with CZ at length about this issue. They are aware of it and have been fixing broken guns for people without charging them. Although they have not pointed to one specific thing as a cause, it is likely that a number of broken guns came to be this way while they were being bumpfired. Some other guns were likely damaged due to cheap reloads. While they didn’t mention seeing a blown primer in the receiver as a cause for any damaged guns, I think that this or other debris in the action might be one more potential cause, along with someone who is really good at pulling a trigger fast but isn’t actually bump firing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Why is this happening? This weapon was designed as a submachine gun, and in full auto format, there’s a disconnector to prevent the weapon from firing out of battery either as a result of bolt bounce or the bolt not closing fast enough before the hammer is ready to fall again. In the U.S., the disconnector is considered a machine gun part and must be omitted from the civilian Scorpion design. Thus, there is nothing stopping the weapon from firing out of battery in certain circumstances. I wish they had come up with another way to prevent it from firing out of battery, but as this seems to be a rare and non-life-threatening issue…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Is this a matter of great concern to me? No. Although I am aware of several reports of minor injuries to shooters and bystanders, and the possibility of being left with a broken gun is not exciting, I believe this risk can be mitigated by the end user.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]First, don’t bump fire. It’s dumb. Second, use quality new factory ammunition or, if you must use re-manufactured or reloaded ammo, buy stuff from a quality source, not bargain basement bulk packs in a Ziploc bag. We’re trying to avoid cases that haven’t been properly resized and might have a bit of a bulge at the base which would prevent them from chambering fully but might chamber enough to allow this particular gun to fire. My preference would be for factory new ammunition with a crimped primer. Third, clean the gun, as an exceptionally dirty firearm might not go into battery fully. This is going to take some adjusting for me because I hardly ever clean guns. Finally, don’t hold the CZ Scorpion by the magwell. Hold it by the handguard. I learned this the hard way with a ruptured case or KB in a 7.62×25 caliber SMG type weapon that I was holding by the magazine well.[/FONT]

It's not necessarily a bad gun, but I don't think it's the best of the current lot, much less for the price.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    We have two of the hi point carbines in our safe, we don't brag about them.. but they have their place and they are pretty fun on the range.
    My son has his sighted at 100 yards and he holds a good group with it..

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Has anyone brought up the penetration abilities of a 9mm out of a carbine vs 5.56 ?
    Not trying to start a fight about calibers but you might be surprised what a 9mm can go though vs the 5.56!

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Went shooting with a friend last week; he brought his scorpion evo, I brought my zenith mp5 clone.

So, my answer officially would be to go with an AR in 9mm or the mp5 clones, blowback actions are much noisier and more crude feeling.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    They don't get much more compact than 9mm, and over penetration is just a matter of ammo choice.

D6FC9E4D-EC4C-40D4-9553-C4C76F580F6C_zpshk3fh1bt.png

Attachments

• D6FC9E4D-EC4C-40D4-9553-C4C76F580F6C_zpshk3fh1bt.png
      D6FC9E4D-EC4C-40D4-9553-C4C76F580F6C_zpshk3fh1bt.png
      320.7 KB · Views: 9

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone brought up the penetration abilities of a 9mm out of a carbine vs 5.56 ?
    Not trying to start a fight about calibers but you might be surprised what a 9mm can go though vs the 5.56!

Honestly, the 5.56 wins on everything but noise and flash. Well, and I suppose price per round.

OP, there's nothing inherently wrong with a pcc, but if you're going to go with a long gun I'd at least take a look at a 20g pump shotgun and/or an entry level AR. They aren't the answer for everyone, but keep your options open. Besides the obvious limitation, a 12g single shot's recoil sucks, so I don't blame you for wanting to move away from that. Just know not all shotguns kick like that. I'm not that up to speed on semi-auto shotties, and I don't know if there's a reliable one in your budget, but if you can try one they suck up a LOT of recoil. It's so much more comfortable to shoot a lot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Just for shiggles and gets I used my KP31 as a bed side gun for a while. I figured that if 72 rds of 9mm +P hollow point goodness didn't take care of the problem, then nothing would. Thirteen pounds loaded gets heavy tho so it got replaced for The Boss's benefit with something much lighter.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Love the hipoint 995. With a cheap 4x scope and a light, critters are not an issue at up to 50 yards.
    Makes sub 2 inch groups without hardly trying. Using cheap ammo.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Love the hipoint 995. With a cheap 4x scope and a light, critters are not an issue at up to 50 yards.
    Makes sub 2 inch groups without hardly trying. Using cheap ammo.
    I agree, for a cheapy it has impressed me a few times, I bought one for my son to use at the range and slapped a red dot on it, but I like shooting it too!

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I too am interested in a PCC for home and range fun. But am curious as to what 9mm load would be best for inside home use?

Here's where it gets tricky. If you read about 9mm PCC, you find that the extra barrel length is going to produce a little more speed.
    (10-15% in some loads?) that may affect how a round is designed to expand. Some of those light defense rounds are going to require some testing.
    Personally with the HP, the PPU 147GR JHP are definitely worth a look if you can get them on sale. I once got a few boxes on a sale around $14/ box of 50.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've been consider a 9mm PCC but am leaning towards a suppressed 300 blackout shooting subs.

Consider a .45 acp. Ballistically the same as .300 shooting subs, ammo is cheaper, and lots of defensive ammo available. Several different options for guns in .45acp.

Top Bottom