• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I thought I saw somewhere on here (INGO) someone recently mentioned that Hi Point had higher cap mags in the works.... if that is the case (anyone have info on this?) I have my carbine dilemma solved!

I've heard that they already had higher cap mags, but I was told by the gentleman at the gun shop (MacDonalds Guns, up in Marion, great guy BTW) that he'd heard that they were more prone to FTF

If I remember right, the capacity still wasn't anything to call home about, maybe 16 for the ones that were available at the time.

I heard that he heard, take it as you will.

*Edit*
    Just checked my work, looks like they're 15 round.

http://tinyurl.com/4x4j6kh

Like I said, not really much to phone home about...

Last edited:

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've heard that they already had higher cap mags, but I was told by the gentleman at the gun shop (MacDonalds Guns, up in Marion, great guy BTW) that he'd heard that they were more prone to FTF

If I remember right, the capacity still wasn't anything to call home about, maybe 16 for the ones that were available at the time.

I heard that he heard, take it as you will.

*Edit*
    Just checked my work, looks like they're 15 round.

ProMag Gun Magazine 9mm 15 Round Blue Hi-Point 995 MGPMHIP-A3

Like I said, not really much to phone home about...

Those are the Pro Mags, they do not have a really good track record and the have been around for a while. He is talking about the rumor that HP is working on an extended magazine for the carbines.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I highly recommend the Rock River Arms 9mm AR.
    DSC_0139.jpg

:yesway: Fantastic firearms, can be built for well under $1000, and have 32 round magazines. I can't say enough good things about them.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I thought I saw somewhere on here (INGO) someone recently mentioned that Hi Point had higher cap mags in the works.... if that is the case (anyone have info on this?) I have my carbine dilemma solved!

I've owned 5 of the Promag A3 15rders and had 0 failures with brass case ammo. Had 2 or 3 FTF with steel cased rds until slicking up the feed lips on 2 of the mags with very fine grit sandpaper, then no more . Hi Point has been telling callers to their parts order line that a factory higher cap is in the works for some time. The Promags do protrude, (do not fit flush) but mine work great however, even actuating the LRBHO which folks on the HP sponsored forum assure me they won't do. Some of the bad press on the Promags come from folks who've never used one and are self appointed guardians of HP's business interests.
    As to the OP's question as to the utility of a 9mm carbine ,( they esp the KT and HP) are very affordable, give an increased measure of hitabilty at somewhat longer ranges than many folks are competent with a pistol, 50-100 yds . Ok for varmints at short ranges and good utility guns as well.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Just an FYI, if you find a good deal on a "planet of the apes" style 995, the new TS stock is available directly from Beeline for only $40 shipped. I bought one for mine and its like a completely different (and better) gun.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

Problem would then be length. Look how long the 10 round mags are...a 30 would be half as long as the gun. Go for one that will take the Suomi drum...71 rounds of fun, (your trigger finger gets tired before the mag is empty)...you won't be sorry.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have the Ruger PC40, an I am very impressed. I have a scope on it and that thing is pretty darn accurate! Built like a freaking tank! Obviously that's a .40 and not a 9, but I'd expect the same quality. I've been looking for a cheap pc9 for a while too! Really nice marlin camp gun here locally but they guy wants 600 for it....
    Dad had a hi-point carbine a few yrs back and sold it. I really wish he hadn't, not bad sights, very reliable, and shot very well. Other than being ugly, it was a lot of fun! If I could find one cheap I wouldn't hesitate!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had good luck with the sub 2000 I owned. Glock mags ran flawlessly, and are cheap / plentiful. The folding feature makes it super easy to stow away.

The only cons were cheek weld sucked, and though it never failed, the front site is polymer.

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I will have to recommend the Hi-Point 995TS or an older 995, then buy the new TS stock for $40. I have three Hi-point carbines and they are all stellar! Accuracy is very good, no failures, low cost, and a warranty that is second to none. I have dispatched many critters with one, and it has become my "go to" gun as of late. I am a person that prefers functionality over aesthetics. My HP carbine(s) aren't as sexy as a Beretta storm or have a fancy EOtech or ACOG on them, but I easily hit what I aim at every time. (As long as I do my part).

As far as capacity goes. If you do your part, you only need one shot. Unless you are taking on a zombie horde. :D

Here is my "Behind the door" gun for when the raccoons (or other unwanted creatures) come calling at night. Not fancy, but VERY effective! Just my :twocents:.

picture.php

Last edited:

TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    I've got an SBR 9mm AR, and I love it. There's no learning curve or retraining involved if you're already used to the AR platform. But unless you've already got an AR lower and you're just buying a magblock and upper for it, they'll be a little outside your price range.

I've had a few other 9mm carbines- M11 carbine, KelTec Sub2000, PC9, Camp 9, and 2 other 9mm ARs. They've all been pretty fun.

I've been itching for a 9mm UZI lately. I've been wanting one off and on since 1982 (when my Snake Eyes figure came with one :D) and I've shot a few but I've never owned one. I've seen the Century ones and the Vector ones in the $700 range.

Another intriguing 9mm carbine, at least to me, is the Sterling. J&G has the semiauto ones for pretty cheap:
    Sterling Carbine, 9mm cal. By Wiselite.
    It's probably a bit crude compared to something more modern, but that's not necessarily a disadvantage. The extra 34rd mags are $40 each though.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    "Planet of the apes" I guess I am not the only one who thinks so. When i see one I keep waiting for that horn to blow at the beginning of the movie. I really like that B movie. You can see the Hi-point proto type at about 40 seconds.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcpRHuPjOI[/ame]

Kinda like an ugly girlfriend. All right to have around the house, and still OK to pass around at the range for grins, Just don't bring her around for anything fancy.

Marlin camp 9's and 45's used to be for sale at the gun shows fairly easy. I was getting them for 350 to 450. Now (Thanks to the ammo run up in price) people seem to gold on to them for something cheap to shoot. I have only seen a couple lately (NIB) 650. No shooters.

Last edited:

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I've got an SBR 9mm AR, and I love it. There's no learning curve or retraining involved if you're already used to the AR platform. But unless you've already got an AR lower and you're just buying a magblock and upper for it, they'll be a little outside your price range.

I've had a few other 9mm carbines- M11 carbine, KelTec Sub2000, PC9, Camp 9, and 2 other 9mm ARs. They've all been pretty fun.

I've been itching for a 9mm UZI lately. I've been wanting one off and on since 1982 (when my Snake Eyes figure came with one :D) and I've shot a few but I've never owned one. I've seen the Century ones and the Vector ones in the $700 range.

Another intriguing 9mm carbine, at least to me, is the Sterling. J&G has the semiauto ones for pretty cheap:
    Sterling Carbine, 9mm cal. By Wiselite.
    It's probably a bit crude compared to something more modern, but that's not necessarily a disadvantage. The extra 34rd mags are $40 each though.

Go for the UZI! Surplus mags are cheap and plentiful. I'm enjoying mine, SBR it and it will be twice the fun.

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    Don't forget, Olyimpic Arms still makes an AR-15 A-2 in
    9mm and accepts Glock mags. Carbine # K9-GL. Own one,
    shoot one and it's a great common mag carbine with
    my G17.:ar15:

:ingo::patriot:

Top Bottom