• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    With the right holster, and clothing choice, concealing the P99 should be fairly easy. I can carry my XD9sc with the full size mag in an IWB Kholster all day long comfortably, and without notice.

A good holster and a good belt are way cheaper than a new gun.
    Shhhhh, don't say that out loud! Tryin' to get the 'boss lady' to 'realize' a new, compact 9 is 'absolutely needed'... :ladiesman:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    With the right holster, and clothing choice, concealing the P99 should be fairly easy. I can carry my XD9sc with the full size mag in an IWB Kholster all day long comfortably, and without notice.

A good holster and a good belt are way cheaper than a new gun.
    This.

1000x this.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I will add another vote for the Rugers SR9c. I love that I can have the 10 rnd mag for a little extra concealment if I need it. However, since I don't really care about that too much, the 17rnd mag never leaves the gun.

It's probably the best shooting gun I've ever owned. It is a slim gun as well. So even with the 17 rnd mag, I just throw on a polo shirt that fits a little loose and I'm concealed well enough in a Blackhawk Serpa holster.

A new one can be had for around $475, which means you still have a little cash left over for an extra mag.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey everyone, I'm currently waiting on my LTCH and I'm not too sure how easily/comfortably I'll be able to conceal my Walther p99. It's not a very small gun. So I was hoping some of you who do carry regularly could help me compile a list of reliable 9mm guns that I can research and then make a decision on my next purchase. Any and all help or advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance =)

In addition to exploring the options for a smaller gun, get a good belt and a good IWB holster for the P99 and see how it works for you. A full size weapon that is easier to shoot is usually a better idea than a smaller gun that is more difficult to shoot well, even if the latter is just a lit more comfy to carry.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. You guys are great! I'm still completely undecided. Obviously I'll have to go out and shoot some and see what feels the best to me. I have an IWB Alien Gear holster for my P99 on order currently and I have a good friend that has been a leather worker for a long time crafting me a custom quality gun belt. I will carry the P99 in the meantime, but still want something a little thinner when I finally make a decision. It's such a tough choice when buying a new gun! :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You are in stage 1 of a normal progression. We are just trying to move you through the progression faster.

1) Buy a gun to shoot at range and apply for LTCH.
    2) Try to carry gun and find it is inconvenient because of size and not owning good holster/belt
    3) Buy smaller gun so that it is easy to carry
    4) Figure out small guns stink at the range and you won't practice with it
    5) Learn that pistols are basically squirt guns that suck if you need to use it the purpose you are carrying it
    6) Decide to find a way to carry a bigger gun, invest in good holster and belt
    7) Post about such wisdom on INGO

Now for the record I think you should go forward with stage 4. A second pistol is always a good idea. Also it is not always practical to carry the full size P99. I wish it were but in reality it isn't.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    You are in stage 1 of a normal progression. We are just trying to move you through the progression faster.

1) Buy a gun to shoot at range and apply for LTCH.
    2) Try to carry gun and find it is inconvenient because of size and not owning good holster/belt
    3) Buy smaller gun so that it is easy to carry
    4) Figure out small guns stink at the range and you won't practice with it
    5) Learn that pistols are basically squirt guns that suck if you need to use it the purpose you are carrying it
    6) Decide to find a way to carry a bigger gun, invest in good holster and belt
    7) Post about such wisdom on INGO

Now for the record I think you should go forward with stage 4. A second pistol is always a good idea. Also it is not always practical to carry the full size P99. I wish it were but in reality it isn't.

Looks rather familiar... Considering I carry a 4" 1911 (or something comparable) year around, with a concealing garment, I'm confident I've been through all of these stages... LoL

Last edited:

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    A little higher than $500 at $540 is the XDS 9mm. I bought one last week and haven't looked back. No manual safety like the shield either. Everyone says that it'll never come on so don't worry about it, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take when mine or my family's life is on the line. I am a lefty, so a right-handed safety was a no go for me.
    Good luck in your search.

Ditto on every word.

If you're a righty, the safety isn't as big of an issue and you should look into a shield. I shot both my XDs and my buddy's Shield back to back (both 9mm). If it wasn't for the Shield being slightly narrower, I wouldn't know the difference if I closed my eyes.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Taking an all day training class using a gun with a manual safety and firing around 400rds heavily influenced my decision to move away from a handgun with a manual safety. I think I still have a callus on my thumb lol

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Springfield XDs 9mm is what I carry every day and I love it. Not sure how easy they are to find though due to the recall last year. I carry this gun with a crossbread supertuck holster. I am a pretty small and thin person and I can conceal this gun just fine with that holster. Even when I tuck in my shirt you would never know if not for the holster clips.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    I'm starting to lean between the XDs and the PPS, but I'm still considering several others as well. Are there any out there that any of you would advise me to stay away from? I keep looking back at the Ruger LC9 just because it's so nice looking, but I wouldn't be able to stand the DAO trigger.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Another vote for the SR9C from me. It's my EDC, and in roughly 400 rounds has *never* had a hint of a problem. Got mine from Plainfield before Christmas last year, paid $399+tax (I think they're at $409 now). For the $$, it really is a hard gun to beat.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The easiest gun I ever carried was a Kimber ultra CDP II in 9mm. I couldn't even tell it was there once I got used to it, very slim and lightweight. Recently I decided to switch back to my S&W M&P 9C for every day use. It is a little bit bulkier and heavier but still carries very nicely either in IWB or OWB. I still carry the Kimber but now its been delegated as my "Black Tie" carry gun.

Top Bottom