9mm for the wife what would you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ultimately it's up to her.

I would take a look at several 9mm single stacks, to include the Glock 43, the Shield, the XDS and the PPS. I'd also take a look at the LCR on the revolver side of the house, although probably in .38 instead of 9mm.

Single stacks and slim gripped revolvers tend to fit smaller hands better and conceal easier. If she's up for double stack, the Glock 26 is where I'd start the search.

Get her to a range where she can shoot various offerings, see what actually conceals well, and go from there.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Sig P938 would get my vote. Springfield XDS in 9mm might also be good. I had one in 45ACP, but the backstrap hurt my hand, I'm a big fan of 45ACP single stacks, but that one just wasn't for me. I'm also a fan of revolvers. She needs to try as many guns as possible, but don't overthink it- you can always trade or sell if it turns out to not be the one for her.

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.
    I'd also vote Sig 938. My wife loves her Sig 238 and shoots my 938 well. If she went to 9mm, she'd go the 938 for sure.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A G19 is always a solid choice for carry as is a CZ P01. The P01 is one of the best carry guns CZ offers. A CZ P07 in 9mm ranks up there pretty well too. with a possible 17+1 capacity in a footprint that's only a bit larger than the G19 or P01, it's hard to beat too.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Tiny is nice to carry, but when you are new to shooting a bigger pistol is usually a lot more user friendly. Even though at this point I have shot a lot, feel comfortable shooting, and can shoot pretty well, I still sometimes get jamming issues with tiny guns because of limp-wristing. All it takes is for my grip to be slightly wrong and then I will limp wrist, and in a crisis situation that's not great. However, the jams at the range are good experience. Don't push her into a 9mm, a .380 might work better for her, and a .380 carried with her is more effective than a 9mm left at home. Give her time and take her to practice a lot. It took me years to feel comfortable with a .45, but not very long to be able to rack any slide.

My personal opinions:
    G19 - Very user friendly. Simple. Easy to size down later to a G26, G 43, or G42 (a .380) because they all work the same. Never had a limp wristing problem. Hard to conceal.
    G26 - Not quite as user friendly but significantly easier to conceal in tight jeans or a purse. Never had a limp wristing problem.
    Shield - Soft shooter, very popular with women, not too hard to conceal. Feels weird to me. Not a bad choice if she likes it.
    G42/43 - For a newer shooter I wouldn't get the 43, I'd get the .380 version. Definitely easier to conceal. Limp wristing is a problem and can cause a jam. The 42 is snappy compared to the Sig P938 but I don't feel like it's bad at all compared to other tiny guns.
    Sig P938 - Love it, but there are different versions so check which grip she likes because some feel really rough while shooting and I personally hate the rubber version, it has a weird bump that does not work for me. Limp wristing is still a problem and can cause a jam. With the safety and stuff it's not simple like a Glock.

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    Thank you for the great feedback. We went to the range last night and my wife tried the G19, XDS and PPQ.
    Looks like she is favoring the Walther at this point. To her it was easier to control and felt more comfortable.
    But now she wants to try out the Sig238 & the CZP01 before making a decision.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Best bet is to take her to a store and have her hold a bunch of guns in her hand both with one hand and 2 hand grips and have her really feel each one and see how she handles them. Then, you take her to the range and see if they have the one she wants so she can try it out. Blythe's in Valpo has a large selection of guns for that and they'll let you shoot a lot of the used guns.

mott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2015
    North Central IN
    My wife tried several out. She loves her M&P Shield 9mm. The grip feels right and she is able to pull the slide without trouble. Many of the other single stack options were too hard for her to pull back.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    My wife has a SCCY. For the money it is actually a very solid gun with a lifetime warranty. With a little practice she shoots it fairly well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Several months ago I rented a PPS M2. That's really a good shooter. I liked it better than my shield and at some point I might pick one up. Very comfortable to shoot.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My wife finally settled on a Walther CCP... basically out the window now (since it's in Walther's hands for the recall) and will be for several boxes of ammo after it's returned. Other than a gritty trigger, we've had none of the issues others have reported.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know it's PC to always let the SO decide for themselves. Too often though, they don't know what they don't know, (and their spouse doesn't either.)

Ill argue the opposite direction of most. Especially if the Mrs. is new to shooting and you are both changing. Pick the most popular gun, the one with the most and most affordable options for magazines, holsters, etc. Maybe the one the majority of LEO in the country carry? Maybe the one the most trainers carry? Maybe the one you can readily find an armorer's class for to learn all the particulars and nuances of the gun along with cleaning and maintenance?

In your circumstance, it would be foolish not to go with the same gun. Crazy not for a couple NOT to have universal gear and MAGS.

Save yourself a lot of time, trouble and money. Buy 2 G19's and carry gear. Sign up for some classes to mold yourselves around these universally accepted and favored guns. Train, practice and carry these guns for a year or more and you'll be happy you didn't have to throw $ on $, on $ changing, switching, etc.

Later on, after you've mastered these guns, you can specialize to other guns if you choose. You'll sell your gear for surprisingly close to what you have in it.

Last edited:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    My wife finally settled on a Walther CCP... basically out the window now (since it's in Walther's hands for the recall) and will be for several boxes of ammo after it's returned. Other than a gritty trigger, we've had none of the issues others have reported.

Despite the recall, I'm still a big fan of the CCP. It feels good in the hand, has less recoil, is crazy accurate and the slide is very easy to manipulate. I too had none of the grittiness or other trigger issues that have been reported. I hope it comes back that way.

My GF loves her 3913 Lady Smith; but, it took a lot of practice for her to be able to manipulate the slide. She also likes my CCP.

Top Bottom