• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    357 is .100 longer than 38 special. Shoot enough 38s in a 357 cylinder you get a carbon ring at the end of the 38 case. The 357 will not go all the way in the cylinder because of the ring.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    I was in Rural King today and they were restocking 9mm ammo. The brand was PPU. I've never used it but I figured I'd pick up a couple boxes. It was $12/box of 50 so I thought it was worth a shot since that was the first time I've seen any 9mm on the shelves locally lately.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    357 is .100 longer than 38 special. Shoot enough 38s in a 357 cylinder you get a carbon ring at the end of the 38 case. The 357 will not go all the way in the cylinder because of the ring.

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing a good cleaning job should fix. Same should apply for a 10mm barrel then as well after shooting 40S&W.

Extractor issues with a 38 special?? Really?

No the carbon build up is what I was thinking because the 40S&W brass is around 0.147" shorter Than a 10mm.

Last edited:

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    You will get a similar problem with 22 rimfire in a rifle or hand gun. The round will chamber but accuracy goes out the window. When the bullet contacts the carbon ring it is deformed. I have found Bore Tech Carbon Remover does a quick and easy job of removing the ring. Soak for a few minutes a few passes with a good brush and the ring is gone.

Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere
    Prices for 9mm and 40 are about the same price right now (35 cents a round FMJ), and it's still available online if you know where to look. Prices are all jacked up right now, not just 9mm.

I'm loving life because I stocked thousands and thousands of rounds of 9mm when it was dirt cheap and don't have to worry about stocking a dying caliber in addition to the most prevalent semiauto pistol caliber in the world. I considered buying a few 40 caliber handguns a while back, but then I asked myself how much 9mm ammo I could buy with that money.

40 isn't going anywhere. Been hearing for years that it's a dying caliber,yet here we are years later and people are still shooting it.
    I have favored 40 over 9 for a long time and probably will for as long as I can find ammunition for mine
    It's out there if you know where to look, but when it hits the shelves it's gone or strictly limited to 1 box at some places where as 40 is not so limited.
    I don't go shoot often as I'd like,especially with the ammunition shortage going on,I'm holding onto all mine. But recently picked up a Sig P224 in 40 S&W I need to get out and put some rounds through so I can carry it. It's not much different then my P229,but never carry anything I haven't shot atleaet 500 rounds through as an EDC

Attachments

• 20200707_210515.jpg
      20200707_210515.jpg
      487.5 KB · Views: 10

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You will get a similar problem with 22 rimfire in a rifle or hand gun. The round will chamber but accuracy goes out the window. When the bullet contacts the carbon ring it is deformed. I have found Bore Tech Carbon Remover does a quick and easy job of removing the ring. Soak for a few minutes a few passes with a good brush and the ring is gone.

This is the first thing to do with a used gun. There is no good reason to put up with a carbon ring.

You are right - an absolutely huge difference in accuracy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I use ballistol for carbon removing. It does a good job of it.

Top Bottom