• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It never ceases to amaze me how an empty shelf magically transforms the amount of ammo one has from prodigious to paltry. I go from "Why do I have so much ammo?" to "How could I have been so shortsighted?" in an instant.

And it does not matter how much the "how much" is...lol

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It never ceases to amaze me how an empty shelf magically transforms the amount of ammo one has from prodigious to paltry. I go from "Why do I have so much ammo?" to "How could I have been so shortsighted?" in an instant.

And it does not matter how much the "how much" is...lol

YES! You nailed it!
    I have a good bit of ammo in several calibers but now I feel hesitant to shoot some because then I wouldn't have as much.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Election years are Always insane when it comes to buying firearms, 30rd or higher mags, and ammunition. Especially when you have a Republican who has basically allowed anything to be sold. Now faced with a possibility of a totalitarian party taking over and the Marxist revolution taking place in cities all around the country that has brought unrest to a new level in recent years. The unrest has everyone scrambling for all as many firearms, magazines, and ammunition it they can get their hands on. It will only get worse until Trump is elected and God forbid if the democrats sweep congress and the White House i doubt you will find any semiautomatic firearms, ammunition, or 15rd or higher magazines or anything that will be put on the ban/confiscate list 200 days later.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    What’s the point in trying to get all into 9mm technology when there’s no ammo to be had? Are we getting starved out? How long does it take for mfr to gear up for demand? At what point do shooters abandon 9mm for more available ammo?

You mean like this:
    [h=1]Category: AMMUNITION[/h]
    There are no products matching the selection.

Your search returns no results.

Why not consider finding a buddy or two and order 1,000 rounds or so, then split the order?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You mean like this:
    Category: AMMUNITION

There are no products matching the selection.

Your search returns no results.

Why not consider finding a buddy or two and order 1,000 rounds or so, then split the order?

Splitting a thousand rounds? :rofl:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Manufacturers don't have excess manufacturing capacity laying about unused. It's called "waste" - of facility floor spaced - of unused manufacturing lines that must be maintained - of people laying about waiting for dramatically increased demand like the Maytag Repairman. Welcome to "Lean Manufacturing" in which a manufacturer only has and maintains the space, machines and personnel required for their normal demand, running it 24/7 at as close to about 95% capacity as possible - to allow for planned preventive maintenance and the very rare (hopefully never if preventive is done right) unplanned corrective maintenance. There is a predictable and stable consumption rate, until events like the Floyd riots occur. Manufacturers cannot make a business case to spend capital investment to temporarily increase capacity, and then liquidate it all afterward. Too expensive. They'd never get their investment back out much less turn a profit on it (called return on investment, aka ROI). They'd lose money doing it.

This is precisely what occurred with toilet paper. People blamed it on China. TP isn't made in China; its volume per unit price makes it much too expensive to ship across the Pacific to North America. It's made domestically in factories running at 90-95% capacity 24/7. Create a massive run on TP? You're going to have a massive shortage on store shelves. Zero excess capacity to swallow the enormously larger demand.

Went to the local Rural King - near zero pistols, a few revolvers - and near zero ammunition. No shotguns except a couple single shot .410's. A few rifles, but zero AR-15 platform. Not only is there a dearth of ammo of any common type, there's a dearth of firearms.

John

Thanks. You said this before I did.
    If a manufacturer runs 2 shifts a day, they can hire and train people, and open the 3rd shift up.
    But, they have to seed the 3rd shift with experienced people, people that may not want to work it.
    They can offer overtime, that will help some, but you can't keep working everyone 70-80 hour weeks, and not expect it to cause problems when a tired worker makes a mistake.
    You can build a new facility, or add on to one, but what happens if you spend a million dollars, and then the market drops out?
    And sooner or later, it will, drop out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And yes, I understand the desire for simplicity, to concentrate on 1 pistol and 1 rifle caliber.
    Or just 1 caliber.

The problem is, when you can't find it.

So, I'll stick with the headache of 5 pistol cals, and 2 rifle cals.
    Or something like that. I could have forgotten some.
    :)

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Thanks. You said this before I did.
    If a manufacturer runs 2 shifts a day, they can hire and train people, and open the 3rd shift up.
    But, they have to seed the 3rd shift with experienced people, people that may not want to work it.
    They can offer overtime, that will help some, but you can't keep working everyone 70-80 hour weeks, and not expect it to cause problems when a tired worker makes a mistake.
    You can build a new facility, or add on to one, but what happens if you spend a million dollars, and then the market drops out?
    And sooner or later, it will, drop out.

This ^^^
    CCI/Speer opened a new, dedicated rimfire ammo plant in August of '17. It was the first such new plant in the US in years.
    I don't have a definitive source, but I've been told they are running as much as they possibly can right now ... which would make sense. And CCI/Speer -- part of Vista Outdoors, formerly ATK -- knows a bit about making ammo.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This ^^^
    CCI/Speer opened a new, dedicated rimfire ammo plant in August of '17. It was the first such new plant in the US in years.
    I don't have a definitive source, but I've been told they are running as much as they possibly can right now ... which would make sense. And CCI/Speer -- part of Vista Outdoors, formerly ATK -- knows a bit about making ammo.

They operate Lake City plant I believe, even after Northrop Grumman buyout.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And yes, I understand the desire for simplicity, to concentrate on 1 pistol and 1 rifle caliber.
    Or just 1 caliber.

The problem is, when you can't find it.

So, I'll stick with the headache of 5 pistol cals, and 2 rifle cals.
    Or something like that. I could have forgotten some.
    :)

Let me see if I can remember what I have...

Pistol:
    .32 acp, .380, 9x18 Mak, 9mm Luger, 9mm Largo, .38 special, .357 magnum, .45 acp, .45 Colt, 7.62x25 Tok, (and .22 lr)

Rifle: .22 lr, .223/5.56, 30-40 Krag, 6.5x53R, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x50 Jap, .303 Brit, 30 carbine, 30-06, .308/7.62x51 NATO, 8mm Mauser, 45-70, 7.62x54R, 7.5 Swiss... I think that's it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    What’s the point in trying to get all into 9mm technology when there’s no ammo to be had? Are we getting starved out? How long does it take for mfr to gear up for demand? At what point do shooters abandon 9mm for more available ammo?

Look for a place where price controls have been implemented in order to protect folks from "price gouging". There should be plenty of supply available there....economics and such.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Let me see if I can remember what I have...

Pistol:
    .32 acp, .380, 9x18 Mak, 9mm Luger, 9mm Largo, .38 special, .357 magnum, .45 acp, .45 Colt, 7.62x25 Tok, (and .22 lr)

Rifle: .22 lr, .223/5.56, 30-40 Krag, 6.5x53R, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x50 Jap, .303 Brit, 30 carbine, 30-06, .308/7.62x51 NATO, 8mm Mauser, 45-70, 7.62x54R, 7.5 Swiss... I think that's it.

So, what is holding you back?

Top Bottom