• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    I have been researching 9mm defense ammo until my eyes bleed. Same ammo has different results through denim, gel, water jugs, potato salad etc. Remmington Golden Sabers have a high reputation, yet I have seen many videos and pics of recovered rounds with no expansion. Also, Winchester has more flavors of HP than Obama has excuses. Ranger T, SXT, Supreme elite, nuclear tipped etc. And don't get me going on Hornady XTP loaded by other manufacturer! What gives? Any reliable source besides "FBI approved" list?
    Then there is what to carry in my .380..............:dunno::dunno::dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My personal 9mm carry round is the Federal 9BPLE, my wife I think is still using the Hydra-Shok 147gr in her Kel-Tec.

The 9BPLE load may not be the best out there, but it has a solid reputation, and is dirt cheap.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the Speer Gold Dots and Federals HST's from Ammo to Go packaged in 50 rd boxes. This gets the price per round down considerably, allowing for more function testing and more frequent freshening up of the carry mags.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I've read in a magazine (or heard somewhere? cant remember) somewhere that Winchester PDX1 is the FBI choice because they have the most consistant mushrooms. ill see if i can find where i "heard" that

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Then there is what to carry in my .380..............:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Hornady Critical Defense. I've seen a few videos online shot through denim and they really do expand "Every Single Time".

Others such as PDX1's and Golden Sabers fail every single time. .380 just doesn't have enough speed to have complete reliable expansion with some brands.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Sorry there is no silver bullet, in the end shot placement will decide if you did good. A shot to the ankle with Super Duper Expanding Death Bullet will not decide the outcome. FMJ's to the heart will work just fine if you can get them there...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Hornady Critical Defense. I've seen a few videos online shot through denim and they really do expand "Every Single Time".

Others such as PDX1's and Golden Sabers fail every single time. .380 just doesn't have enough speed to have complete reliable expansion with some brands.

:orly:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5IkL7f2gs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHl99DMyXE[/ame]

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne

Yes really
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=ATTBudWGunI

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=YK4st_LfuWw

You have to admit that with .380 you can't always be sure you will have consistent performance the way that other larger calibers tend to behave.
    Don't get me wrong, I have and carry .380 pistols in the warmer months. I like the round for what it is.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Same here. 9BPLE in my M&P and 5906, Standard 9BP in my PF9. Solid reputation. Plus, I can afford to practice with it.

My personal 9mm carry round is the Federal 9BPLE, my wife I think is still using the Hydra-Shok 147gr in her Kel-Tec.

The 9BPLE load may not be the best out there, but it has a solid reputation, and is dirt cheap.

Top Bottom