• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some Federal HydraShoks from way back, Speer Gold Dots seem to have a higher reputation these days, so that's what I'm carrying. I've also seen it stated very unambiguously that FMJ is the way to go at .380; your HPs won't expand reliably, and if they do they won't penetrate sufficiently, the FMJs won't expand at all, but they'll generally penetrate well enough. I haven't shot that many people with the .380, so I can't tell you much. Ok, I haven't shot anyone with it, so I have to repeat hearsay, but it sounds right from an engineering perspective. I just hope anyone busting into my house hasn't had the foresight to wear a potato salad vest. I'd have to get out the .308.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP go to your local gun/ammo store and see what they keep in stock. Purchase several boxes of quality ammunition marketed for self defense that is produced by a quality manufacturer. Take these home and test them in your gun for reliability and accuracy.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    My personal 9mm carry round is the Federal 9BPLE, my wife I think is still using the Hydra-Shok 147gr in her Kel-Tec.

The 9BPLE load may not be the best out there, but it has a solid reputation, and is dirt cheap.

I use the same for the same reasons. The price makes it reasonable to practice with occasionally.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Sorry there is no silver bullet, in the end shot placement will decide if you did good. A shot to the ankle with Super Duper Expanding Death Bullet will not decide the outcome. FMJ's to the heart will work just fine if you can get them there...

The only answer needed. In self defense it's not the bullet, it's not the gun but the man that can hit what he's aiming at that matters.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have some Federal HydraShoks from way back, Speer Gold Dots seem to have a higher reputation these days, so that's what I'm carrying. I've also seen it stated very unambiguously that FMJ is the way to go at .380; your HPs won't expand reliably, and if they do they won't penetrate sufficiently, the FMJs won't expand at all, but they'll generally penetrate well enough. I haven't shot that many people with the .380, so I can't tell you much. Ok, I haven't shot anyone with it, so I have to repeat hearsay, but it sounds right from an engineering perspective. I just hope anyone busting into my house hasn't had the foresight to wear a potato salad vest. I'd have to get out the .308.

These .380's seem to expand really well, and if they penetrate all the way through a water jug they should be adequate...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/63779-1.html

[ame]http://youtu.be/BjL6kL0LCqA[/ame]

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    These .380's seem to expand really well, and if they penetrate all the way through a water jug they should be adequate...

63779 - Ammo .380 Auto Winchester Supreme Elite Bonded PDX1 95 Grain 1000 fps 20 Round Box

http://youtu.be/BjL6kL0LCqA

I think you can also use one of those wrist rocket slingshots and do some serious damage to a water jug, does that mean it should be adequate?

Years ago I watched my wifes uncle shot the side of a old buckboard wagon, it went through the first side like butter, but bounced off the other side.

Because of that, I'd never consider a .380 for personal defense, just not enough oomph to it for me.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Hornady Critical Defense. I've seen a few videos online shot through denim and they really do expand "Every Single Time".

Others such as PDX1's and Golden Sabers fail every single time. .380 just doesn't have enough speed to have complete reliable expansion with some brands.
    This was pulled from a deer that I shot in the head at 4-5 feet, no pass thru no complete expansion. .380 from a bersa thunder Speer 95gr gold dot factory ammo. :n00b:

HPIM4173-1.jpg

HPIM4172.jpg

qualitytym

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Porter County
    :rockwoot:Just ordered 100 round of Black Hills .380 from Cableas on sale. Also stocked up on Hornady CD in 9mm. Giving the Winchester a second look now after the vid's!

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Federal 9BPLE is GREAT ammo for your 9mm. Plenty of penetration power and the JHP expands nicely like a brick through a plate glass window. If you like to try it out, I have some available at $19 per 50. FTF in Johnson County. Yep, I'm a LEO, and also have an FFL.

Top Bottom