• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What a beauty!
    You've kept that little jewel in excellent condition.
    That bull barrel makes it especially cool.

This is true.
    It makes sense to use top quality moon clips and to inspect them and discard any that are questionable, especially any intended to be used for serious business.
    Unlike me, you actually own at least one gun, that cool .45 Colt Redhawk, that has moon clip capability, so you're far more experienced with them than experienced novice me.
    It's a bit surprising that none of the ammo companies ever came up with a 9mm Auto-Rim, as they did with the .45 Auto-Rim, for those who want to circumvent the deficiencies of moon clips.

The issue is how to carry them so they can't get bent. With something as bulky as the Redhawk, bulky holders are also OK. Sort of defeats the purpose of an LCR or the like. Sweet for competition, but I think its telling it never caught on for professional street use despite the benefits. A faster reload isn't worth the reduced reliability.

9mm auto rim may be your million dollar idea. It would also be assured of a proper crimp for revolvers to resist bullet pulling. Does INGO have a "Shark Tank"?

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    In the 90's Federal made a rimmed 9mm for a revolver. They were loaded a little hotter than the standard 9mm. I carried those in my S&W 940. The rimmed 9mm did not catch on.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I like to think I'd like a little J-frame in 9mm.

But then I realize that shooting my current J-frame with .38 +p just isn't all that pleasant. And the standard 9mm is more powerful than that, even. So that means, at least in an aluminum framed gun, it'll be even LESS pleasant.

One of those bigger Performance Center revolvers with the 8rd cylinder would be a bunch of fun, though, me thinks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The first reloader tool was rubber strip.
    Problem the rounds would fall out.
    I could load two rounds at a time with practice.
    Sometimes the rounds would keep moving and would not line up.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm all about the snub nose. I EDC a Smith performance center 327 8 round 357 and a not-so-speed strip just because. If it ain't that I carry a performance center J frame. What's made the revolver so intriguing to me is it's comfort and ability to conceal. I'm not sure the best word but the boomerang design of the frame and few Sharp edges make the revolver carry like a dream. I like not having a safety (shh, don't let that get out) and a point and click type interface. It took a good bit of specific practice to be a worthy fighter out to 20 yards and further if the bad guy gives me plenty of time. While my inventory is for 38/357, 9mm makes every bit as much sense to me. The 327 would be very similar to the smith and wesson 986 (albeit lighter) and I would be supremely happy with that. A bit less money is korth: Sky Hawk 9mm - Korth Revolvers
    I'm not a huge fan of moon clips for EDC, or speed loaders, for that matter. I carry the slow strip, as previously stated. I figure on a couple different things regarding the reload: first, shoot everything and perform a complete reload when opportune* and second, you cannot miss fast enough so you may as well shoot well and reload when it's time to go home. Don't let your ego write checks your skill level cannot cash.

*read the many posts from BBI and you'll learn what's truly to be expected in a shooting match.

I say all of that to say that the caliber ain't the issue. Get one with a high enough FIBS factor (fudge! I've been shot) and get good with it. Make sure you have it that day that you need it. A revolver? Yes! In 9mm? Why not?

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

They are also a failure point. Tweak one slightly and it'll tie up the cylinder. It also prohibits you from topping off the gun, reloads are an all or nothing affair.

So was the M 1 Garands but they worked OK I guess LOL. JK.

Seriously though that is about the only 2 quirks is don't bend your moon clips and you can't top off the cylinder. Never really was an issue for me and I have some experience with moon clips.

The only other quirk specifically with a 9mm revolver is watch the heavier loads. The bullet s are more prone to jump forward (jumping the crimp) during g firi g and can tie up the cylinder. It doesn't happen with the 115_124 but several folks have had issues with 147 bullets. I've never had issues with my 45 Acp revolvers.

My presumption on it is your reloaders trying to get just a little more ump out of it are the most occurring of it.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I just sent my S&W 627 Cylinder to TK custom to have it rechamberd, machined and chamfered to accept 9mm with moon clips. I will still be able to shoot .357 and .38 special in addition to the 9mm. Once I get it back, I will give a report on how it turned out. I have had them machine two other .38 special revolvers to accept moonclips, and their work is always perfect.Here is the website for TK custom.
    Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I just picked up a S&W 929 today, took it to the range and it shoots great. Trigger pull is good, recoil is very little and it is dead on accurate.
    This is going to be a fun gun!!:draw::rockwoot:

Top Bottom