• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'll throw this out for thought... Try a Walther P99c AS. You get striker fired, double strike capability, decocker, Anti-stress trigger system, 1/8" reset, and it takes full size P99 PPQ mags.

Its sort of a little known gem. You can find them for under $500 shipped. You will not be disappointed. Take a look at waltherforums.com.

:ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why are people suggesting "compact" guns? OP clearly asked for sub-compact. Not being rude, just curious.

Compact vs Sub-Compact is a bit of a blurred line anymore. Consider that traditionally a Glock 19 or 1911 Commander was considered a compact handgun. Pistols like the Glock 26 or Walther PPK were sub-compacts. Now that guns have gotten even smaller the terminology is all over the place.

The modern day sub-compact would roughly encompass pistols less then 25 oz and barrels under 3.5". That is a rough guideline and only based on my opinion. Some of the very small guns with barrels less then 3" fall into a category of their own. I jokingly call them pocket guns or mouse guns. Maybe micro pistols is a better term?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I stopped off at a gun shop today and I was looking at compact guns. I really like the M&P Shield. That's a very nice gun. I even liked the trigger pull. I thought that it would cost as much as a Glock. The one I was looking at was $400 with out the thumb safety. That is almost half of what the Sig cost.

The Shield is a little bigger than the Sig but, it fits my hand better. Then I tried a Glock single stack that was a little smaller than the Glock 36. That wasn't bad but I think for the money I would go with the Shield. I like it. I also like the price.

ram77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    Xds 9 4.0 here. Love it but I kinda wish I got the 3.3 barrel sometimes when it's stabbing me in the male parts

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Cause it WORKED!

Actually Zs KelTec jammed. Maybe any auto would have malfunctioned. He was lucky. He also made some bad decisions along the way. I probably wouldn't use that particular example as a data point for what constitutes a quality carry piece. Now back to our normally scheduled INGO debate about.........

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Without a budget this is all pie in the sky...
    I heartily disagree. One can find a sub-compact 9mm pistol, reasonably priced, which is reliable, accurate and easily carried. There probably is a base line price that one needs to consider when thinking of a new EDC pistol, but it isn't one that will break the bank.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I heartily disagree. One can find a sub-compact 9mm pistol, reasonably priced, which is reliable, accurate and easily carried. There probably is a base line price that one needs to consider when thinking of a new EDC pistol, but it isn't one that will break the bank.

Agreed a new Shield will cost about $400. I paid $415 OTD for my PPS. Glocks are running a bit more. $600 will by somebody a serviceable pistol and good quality holster.

I left the J frame at home today to try out the PPS in a tuckable holster. I like having a bit larger gun back on my hip. Had to travel a bit today for meetings, so slacks and collared shirt. Gun hides well. Enjoying lunch in Carmel and just grabbed a quick haircut. I still think the J frame is the best choice in a BUG or deep concealment role but the current crop of single stack 9mm offer a lot.

bbucking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Monroe County
    LC9S is a great pocket gun, can have alot of kick for a 9mm because it's so lightweight. My wife prefers the glock 42 because of that. They are the same size but the 38 is alot more tame for a new shooter

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I currently carry a g26, but have carried a p938, and the original lc9 when it first came out... if he doesn't mind the safety the p938 was an excellent shooter for the small size

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    You should go and handle a PPS. It is the first Walther I have ever owned and I have to say I am VERY impressed! The trigger is a little stiff but for a C.C. gun it is about perfect. It has a VERY pronounced reset with very little pre travel or over travel. It has eaten everything I have sent through it and for a small gun is suprisingly accurate (groups as well as my Browning H.P.) really suprised me!

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    How is carrying the 26? Is it pretty easy to conceal?

Yes and no. Yes because it has a short overall height. No because it feels too thick.

I like mine and can conceal it well, it is very shootable for such a small gun, and being able to carry a 17rd spare mag that only costs $20 is nice. However, it will never be as concealable as a Shield, G43, or PF9. For me, the G26 isn't a small enough gun to go everywhere. If I want to carry something smaller, a 442 or PF9 goes with me.

In short, the G26 is a fantastic choice. But I am of the firm belief that the gun you'll actually carry should be the gun you buy if can only afford one gun. For some people, that gun will be the G26. Others will find it too wide.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I know many bad mouth the KelTec PF-9 but it has been a favorite of mine for many years when a deep concealment gun or pocket pistol is needed. It carries well in a pocket holster and even better in a concealment t-shirt. While the trigger was stiff when new, lots of dry fire with a snap cap as well as live fire with both 9mm and 22 has made it feel like a well tuned J Frame. I have put probably 500 rounds of 9mm through the gun and I would estimate 2500-3000 rounds of 22 has been fired on the frame...it is a fun little kit gun at the range. Is the recoil with 9mm snappy? Yep, it is. Does it shoot to point of aim? Yep, it does with either caliber. Is it reliable? Yep, very reliable in either caliber, feeds CorBon DPX perfectly and the only 22 malfunction I have had was in the first magazine, perfect since then.

The PF-9 can be picked up normally at a pretty decent price, the 22 conversion kit will likely double the price of the gun but the ammunition savings will make up for the cost of the conversion pretty quickly. I never understood the bad rap these seem to have gotten, I think the biggest part is folks who haven't really shot one just parroting what others say. like many other small 9mms they do require a firm hand to function well, you have to hold it tight to prevent limp wrist malfunctions, do that and the PF-9 behaves quite well.

pf9conv1b-2.jpg

p.s. Twisted Industries does make the 22 conversion for the Ruger LC9 and LC380 as well...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    XDs 3.3" 9mm is my fav and everyday carry, because it shoots like a much larger gun. (Recoil, ease, ergos.) The shield is a great gun as well, and I'm even a fan of the PF9. Not the best trigger, but VERY light and easy to carry.

Top Bottom