• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I saw Ron Cey from the Dodgers take a 98 mph fast ball to the head, yep he went down. Took several minutes and help from the training staff to get him off the field. If I am going to have a choice between a grape or baseball to the face, I will choose the grape 100% of the time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As would I but I don't plan to rely on either. It was an analogy. If the felt recoil difference between a 9mm 1911 and a 45acp 1911 is going to make the difference between stopping someone or not stopping someone I'd like to see the scenario because that's what the difference between the calibers adds up to when we talk about kinetic energy and "knockdown power".

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I saw Ron Cey from the Dodgers take a 98 mph fast ball to the head, yep he went down. Took several minutes and help from the training staff to get him off the field. If I am going to have a choice between a grape or baseball to the face, I will choose the grape 100% of the time.

I know, KNOW, that it's wrong to say it, but I very much want to see what happens when someone is hit in the face with a grape traveling 98mph.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

I grew up a SF Giant's fan watching the likes of Willie Mayes & Willie McCovey, so I have mixed emotions on this scenario!!! :): "The Penguin" was a great player, he just played for the hated Dodgers!!! #BeatLA

I think we need Mythbusters to try the grape to the face stunt! Someone should send it to them!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And what that tells you is how that particular bullet reacts to that particular steel. If your goal is denting steel with bulk ball ammo, then it's a valid test of capabilities. If your goal is something else, then it's just a fun afternoon.

Both actually.It convinced our feeble little minds that (1)....please do not shoot me with any of these rounds and (2) 9mm is a weak sister. In ball. (3) .40 is a rocket and (4) .45 by comparison is a sledge hammer.
    (5) it is serious fun doing these non-scientific tests.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    9mm is a weak sister. In ball...

...If you're a steel plate.

Even the hardness of the lead is going to matter. How much energy is used to dent steel vs rip lead apart. That's why 230 gr .45 is a good choice if all you have is bulk ammo, the bigger slower bullet holds together better. Bonded bullets that are within the envelope of speed they are designed for are a different matter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ...If you're a steel plate.

Even the hardness of the lead is going to matter. How much energy is used to dent steel vs rip lead apart. That's why 230 gr .45 is a good choice if all you have is bulk ammo, the bigger slower bullet holds together better. Bonded bullets that are within the envelope of speed they are designed for are a different matter.

So you are skewing our "Non-Scientific" test with scientific facts..........:p

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Each caliber has it merits and limitations. The effects of recoil and ammo cost for training have been mentioned several times.

In my own case, when I was in my twenties, I carried a 45 ACP. Liked the round, but the pistol was bulky.

In my thirties and forties, I carried a 40 S&W. Liked the capacity, but the recoil was snappy and ammo cost was a factor for practice.

Now in my fifties, I carry a 9mm. Bullet design has improved, and it is much easier to carry and cheaper to practice.

The one caliber that I have carried off and on throughout this time is +P 38 cal in a centennial revolver. It all comes down to personal preference and ability to fire quickly and accurately, with an effective round.

Top Bottom