• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. I have been researching with the search tools but most of the articles / threads are from a few years ago.

What I am looking to do is purchase another pistol for SD. Already rented a Sprinfield XD and a Kimber 1911 at Pop's guns - like them both but leaning towards the XD

I already have a glock 17 9mm and like it lot. Based upon numerous articles these are my conclusions, please feel free to correct me:

The .45acp has the best stopping power, will typically not penetrate through a bad guy and take out my daughter on the otherside of a wall where a .40 or 9 mm will without hollow points.

Several people recommend using target ammo for your SD ammo because you know it works where the hollowpoints might MF

Also checking various stores 9mm seems the cheapest then .40 and .45 is almost 2x price of 9mm if you can find it. Many articles a couple years ago talked about how hard it is to find .40 ammo - seems .45 acp is the tough one to find now.

Also have read that certain .40 can be changed to a 9mm with a simple change of a barrel.

Also have read that a 10mm can do everything the otehrs can do but do it better it you can find the ammo - don't want to take out a loan to practice with it

I appreciate everyones thoughts.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I read a great article about stopping power in a Feb issue of one of my handgun magazines. This guy compiled tons of data regarding shootings. In the end he said that there are no guarantees with any caliber. A well placed shot with a 22 will do more damage then a missed or poor shot with a .50. In the end it will all come down to practice and how well you can shoot whatever you buy.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I spent quite some time researching this topic as well. In the end, I was more confused than when I started.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A few things swayed me to 9mm:

-Inexpensive to shoot at the range
    -HP rounds are very effective for SD
    -Able to carry more ammo

I don't think cycling HPs will be an issue with a quality gun like an XD. I cycle my SD ammo at the range every now and then and have never had a failure.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    It's all really your decision. 9mm is definitely the cheapest round to buy of the ones you mentioned. Some people dislike .40 because it is a little more snappy. Some people don't like .45 because the same size gun can hold fewer rounds than a .40 or 9mm. They each have pros and cons. It's all about what you're comfortable with, shoot well, and will enjoy. I definitely disagree about using the FMJ rounds for defense. Many people run hollow points and don't have issues. You should always run some through your own gun though to assure the round and gun combo work flawlessly.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I spent quite some time researching this topic as well. In the end, I was more confused than when I started.

Exactly!

The generic 'correct' answer is to chose a gun that you can shoot accurately and that you will practice with to learn all it's functions and how to correct any malfunctions. If all you can do that with is a .22 LR then that is what you use, if you can do it with a 10mm or a 12 gauge then that is what you use.

The rule of thumb is 9mm gives you a capacity advantage and .45 gives you the 'big ol' bullet' advantage and .40 seems to bridge the gap. I really love the .45 ACP round and I have 2 Glocks and a 1911 to show for it. 9mm is great because of it's cost versus the other 2 and it is much easier, and cheaper, to become proficient with the 9 because you can get more rounds down range cheaper. There is some great self-defense offerings in 9mm, too but if I could only have one to do everything it would be either a .40 or .45. Standard target bullet weight for a .40 is 180 grains; 230 grains for .45...I have some good quality 9mm hollow points but only at 115 grains...

If you get into any of the shooting sports all 3 calibers can be reloaded for less than factory after you spend the initial money for the equipment. The .40 round is available in a wide range of bullet weights and can be loaded to a broader spectrum than either the 9mm or the .45 (you can only go so big of a bullet in 9 mm or only so small in a .45) but you can really tame the snappiness of the .40 with the right ammo.

There is a self defense school that uses the motto of "Any gun will do if YOU will do." and that is about right. Find what you will carry and learn with since, to be honest, just about every pistol round pales in comparison with a 12 gauge shotgun. Choose GOOD self-defense ammo, not the cheapest, and run a box of it through your pistol to make sure your gun likes it when it is both clean and dirty.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You should carry a .45 ACP because every pistol I own is a .45 ACP, except for my 9mm.

And my .38.

But other than that... ;)

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    My first handgun was a glock 19. I like 9mm, I feel safe with it as a defensive too. Its cheap to shoot and good to learn with. My second handgun is a glock 27. Its small, easy to hide, and I like the .40 for self defense. Wouldnt mind a .45, but I would only get a .45 in a full size 1911, because I like to keep it classy.

Keep the 9, get a .40 or .45.... or both.... :dunno: I like them all. However I have to say, looking at the dimple in my speer gold dot 9mm and the CRATER in the speer gold dot .40.... If I had to chose, .40. But its expensive and "snappy"

If you dont practice much and want to go bigger than 9mm id say go with the .45. Its slower and easier to shoot than the .40.

Do what you want! In the end, no one wants to get shot with any caliber.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I got a Springfield 1911 in .45acp. Love the way the gun shoots. I do carry it, but its on the big side (hard to c/c). I have been looking into a smaller 9mm to carry for sd. But I love the safty feeling the .45 gives ya. But one thing you have to think of is law enforcment an our military both use 9mm if im not mistaken now, so if its good enough for them it would be good for me to.

jasonsromer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    MADISON
    I read a great article about stopping power in a Feb issue of one of my handgun magazines. This guy compiled tons of data regarding shootings. In the end he said that there are no guarantees with any caliber. A well placed shot with a 22 will do more damage then a missed or poor shot with a .50. In the end it will all come down to practice and how well you can shoot whatever you buy.

Agreed. Proly gonna be the best answer your gonna get.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Me personally I prefer the .40 for self-defense, as thats what I carry everyday ( SW99 .40). I leaned to this caliber for personal reasons, as I do not care for the .45 round to much as its a bit loud for my liking, and the 9mm I felt did to much penetration through a soft bodies target. I like the ammunition choices for the .40 over the other two. I personally carry Winchester Ranger T-Series. I have done some expansion tests on my own and found that they expand nicely. But again this is what I have found in my own tests. Also I am a much better shot with my .40 than with my 9mm so I carry it 90% of the time, and the 9mm only about 10% of the time.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Shoot the bad guy where it counts and any caliber will get it done. I don't own any .40 guns but I have several 9mm and .45s. Practice shot placement like said before and be confident!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cop's and LOE's like the 40 because of shooting thru windshield glass without deflection. Not something that is normally going to happen in a non LOE's enviroment. FBI used the 10mm for a while but when they found out it was to much gun for most of the desk agents they switched. The 45 is my favorite in a 1911 but i shoot lots of rounds. I also reload.

They will all penetrate drywall. I try to steer people to the 9mm for self defense guns as there are so many good pistols in 9mm at many price points. I have a single friend that does not shoot much at all who wants the sig in 40 cal in a p239 and I can't seem to convince him the 9 is a better choice for him. We are going to the range as soon as I can get him to go and we will see what he really wants.

Then again I like a v-8 engine and the new turbo 4 is just as fast as the old v-8. It depends on what you like.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I know it comes down to accuracy and what you feel comfortable with - when I went to the I was equally accurate with the 9mm and .45.
    I also own a shotgun, 38 special and mk-90
    I am building a collection and have not shot a .40 yet, hope to soon though

Also buying a Ruger Hunter .22 for the wife for mother's day / practice plinker

For those that have multiple guns / calibers, in either a SD or SHTF scenario which would you choose?

So a 9mm or .45 would deflect off a windshield vs shoot through it?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    For those that have multiple guns / calibers, in either a SD or SHTF scenario which would you choose?

Ill just tell you what I have.

glock 19 9mm
    glock 27 .40 (EDC)
    wasr 10 ak47 7.62X39
    mossberg 500 12 ga
    mossberg 500 20 ga

(my family has a ton more, but this is my own personal collection/shtf backup)

I also have at least 500 rounds for each caliber saved. I just ordered 1500 for use at the range.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    By the numbers .40 has the most potential energy. it carries more rounds than .45, less than 9mm. flat nosed bullets in .40 poke deep holes in hard objects like wood and sheetmetal where a RN 9m or .45 flattens out and stops much less deep comparing wound channels ( just looking at diameter times capactiy) .40 can cause the most bleeding.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 40 shoots thru windsheilds with less deflection. All will shoot thru but the bullet path is deflected more with the 9 and 45. Like I said unless you are expecting to shoot a driver who is atempting to drive over someone it is a moot point. A cop has a much higher chance of this hapening since they pull over cars and stop poeple fleeing the area.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    .22LR - AR7 and Explorer II (same mags)
    9mm - Ruger P95D and PC9 (same mags), KelTec PF9 (plus reloading supplies and equipment), FMJ and XTP rounds in stock
    Mossberg 500 12 guage

Still to get:
    KT Sub 2000 in 9mm Beretta (Ruger mags can be modified to fit)
    SKS or AK (plus reloading dies)

Top Bottom