• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    For those that have multiple guns / calibers, in either a SD or SHTF scenario which would you choose?

I have the most confidence and trigger time behind shotguns and my Glock 21 (.45ACP)

As far as the windshield question, the angle of the glass can deflect a projectile to a certain degree, generally the lighter/smaller bullet will have a greater degree of deflection but there are almost too many factors to really consider to make that a deciding factor on handgun/caliber choice. Most answers come down to picking a gun you like in a caliber greater than .380 and then buy good quality self-defense ammo from a reputable source.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have always chose the 45acp above the other choices for full size carry rounds. ( I know, who would have guessed that!) But thats not to say the 40 or 9mm wouldnt be just as good as long as the shooter does their part.
    My dislike for the 40 is because the higher pressures that it operates at, and I have yet to shoot a pistol in that caliber that "called" to me. If it works for you go for it.

The OP stated that he already has a 9mm, and for logistical reasons, I would stick with that caliber. The current ammunition selection for 9mm is better than it has ever been, and the cost is less than any of the other pistol calibers mentioned. That, and considering that any pistol chambered in all three calibers, the 9mm should be more controllable and hold more rounds per magazine.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The .45acp has the best stopping power, will typically not penetrate through a bad guy and take out my daughter on the otherside of a wall where a .40 or 9 mm will without hollow points.

First off, stopping power is a myth. Police shootings have proved that, time and time again. It's not the size of the round you use, it's how well placed your shots are. Yes, 9mm FMJ rounds are known to over penetrate. That's why it's recommended you use quality JHP ammo for SD. Hollow point ammo mushrooms, looks similar to a flower peddal, and they dump more energy into the body. No matter is it's 9mm, .40, or .45 ACP. Rule one: After buying a new handgun. Test fire different rounds. Make sure what ammo you decide to carry, functions properly. I carry nothing but JHP ammo in my carry guns, I have never had an issue.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have 9s, .40s and .45s. So I am beginning to think that a 10mm would be the best caliber. You always need the one you don't have yet...

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. I have been researching with the search tools but most of the articles / threads are from a few years ago.

What I am looking to do is purchase another pistol for SD. Already rented a Sprinfield XD and a Kimber 1911 at Pop's guns - like them both but leaning towards the XD

I already have a glock 17 9mm and like it lot. Based upon numerous articles these are my conclusions, please feel free to correct me:

The .45acp has the best stopping power, will typically not penetrate through a bad guy and take out my daughter on the otherside of a wall where a .40 or 9 mm will without hollow points.

Several people recommend using target ammo for your SD ammo because you know it works where the hollowpoints might MF

Also checking various stores 9mm seems the cheapest then .40 and .45 is almost 2x price of 9mm if you can find it. Many articles a couple years ago talked about how hard it is to find .40 ammo - seems .45 acp is the tough one to find now.

Also have read that certain .40 can be changed to a 9mm with a simple change of a barrel.

Also have read that a 10mm can do everything the otehrs can do but do it better it you can find the ammo - don't want to take out a loan to practice with it

I appreciate everyones thoughts.

All of these rounds are effective. I own a Kimber 1911, although I only use it as a target pistol I absolutely love everyhting about it. You can NOT go wrong with a Kimber 1911.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    A few things swayed me to 9mm:

-Inexpensive to shoot at the range
    -HP rounds are very effective for SD
    -Able to carry more ammo

I don't think cycling HPs will be an issue with a quality gun like an XD. I cycle my SD ammo at the range every now and then and have never had a failure.

What he said. I too have a Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm. Reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, ammo is cheap and plentiful.

My 1911 is fun, but for CC and SD, I would reach for the Springfield first.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    My $.02: take the hours you'd spend agonizing over conflicting penetration and expansion data, Marshal and Sanow stats and millions of redundant caliber/cartridge wars on the interweb and put it toward practice and training.

My opinion is that it will be time better spent.

If the SHTF or an SD situation arose, I'd choose whichever was closest.

Currently I'm carrying a 357 Sig. Not because a bunch of state troopers, Secret Service, and Air Marshalls do or any of the assorted arguments for this cartridge or that, but simply because it was an interesting trade and it turned out I shot well with it.

In the past, I've carried a 45 ACP, a 10mm and a 9mm too. They've all got pros, they've all got cons, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. They'll all get the job done, should the need ever arise.

Comparing one shot stopping power among handgun cartridges is like Privates comparing rank. Sure, Private Schmuckatelli might have a few more days in service, but he's still E-nothing.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    By the numbers .40 has the most potential energy. it carries more rounds than .45, less than 9mm. flat nosed bullets in .40 poke deep holes in hard objects like wood and sheetmetal where a RN 9m or .45 flattens out and stops much less deep comparing wound channels ( just looking at diameter times capactiy) .40 can cause the most bleeding.

Handgun rounds are small and slow moving. They crush tissue ass they pass through the body, and they leave small temporary wound cavities. The only difference between the three calibers. Is slight, and I mean slight, difference in the wound cavity size.

Handgun_gel_comparison1-1.jpg

If you want so called, "stopping power", carry a shotgun or a high powered rifle.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Personally I love my XD40 sc. I load Hornady XTP's for practice and run Hornady Critical Defense for SD. The extra "pop" doesn't bother me. That said, I'm buying a 1911 soon. I hope this muddles things up a bit more.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    I won't argue which is better with anyone other than my friends, cause I don't mind p&ssing them off! My experience in law enforcement and EMS would lean towards the .40 because its a nice balance between the .45 and 9mm, and low cost of target ammo. That being said, if you talking home defense only I'd go with a shot gun with large bird or small buck shot to prevent over penetration. Again that's my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You have a Glock 17 already. And that is a fine gun!

Here's what I think you should do. Forget about buying another gun. Instead, buy more magazines and ammo. And invest in some training classes. I recommend contacting ACT. They're INGO advertisers, and their prices can't be beat!

And practice practice practice! That Glock 17 is all you need right now.

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. I have been researching with the search tools but most of the articles / threads are from a few years ago.

What I am looking to do is purchase another pistol for SD. Already rented a Sprinfield XD and a Kimber 1911 at Pop's guns - like them both but leaning towards the XD

I already have a glock 17 9mm and like it lot. Based upon numerous articles these are my conclusions, please feel free to correct me:

Several people recommend using target ammo for your SD ammo because you know it works where the hollowpoints might MF

Also checking various stores 9mm seems the cheapest then .40 and .45 is almost 2x price of 9mm if you can find it. Many articles a couple years ago talked about how hard it is to find .40 ammo - seems .45 acp is the tough one to find now.

Also have read that certain .40 can be changed to a 9mm with a simple change of a barrel.

Also have read that a 10mm can do everything the otehrs can do but do it better it you can find the ammo - don't want to take out a loan to practice with it

I appreciate everyones thoughts.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have 9s, .40s and .45s. So I am beginning to think that a 10mm would be the best caliber. You always need the one you don't have yet...
    :+1:

All fun aside, it all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. If you are comfortable and confident, you stand a better chance of making an effective hit. I'm a fan of 1911s and have a bunch. I recently moved to carrying a CZ 75 Compact though, since side by side, I'm better with the CZ than I am with my Kimbers, Springfield or Rock. I love the 1911s and they still get carried once in a while but until I can run them as effectively as the CZ, the CZ will remain my main EDC gun. For some reason, the CZ just fits me perfectly and I'm more comfortable shooting that than I am anything else.

My belief is that a single round of .45 is more capable than a single round of 9mm when fired from a stable stance with an accurate shot, but most gunfights happen outside of those parameters. I think I'd be more effective in a fast, dynamic situation with a higher capacity 9 than I would be with my 45s but once I get to the point where I'm as confident with the 45, I'll go back to carrying them regularly again.

Another thing to consider when choosing a caliber is how much it will cost to truely become effective with it. If you do not reload ammo, this is especially important. For me, it took several thousand rounds before I could use a handgun without thinking about the mechanics of grip, stance, draw, etc... If limited to commercial ammo, I'd have either run us broke by now or have a much lower level of comfort. Shooting is similar to driving in that when you first start, you are focused on the mechanics of how much to turn the wheel, braking and stuff. Eventually, you get to the point where your brain has optimized the mechanical aspects and you don't even think of them much, but instead focus on scanning traffic, watching for cues from other drivers and maintaining situational awareness. I think shooting is no different and if your brain has not optimized the mechanics of shooting, when a situation comes up, you will not be as effective as you would otherwise be. New drivers get into more accidents, many of which are not their fault, because they are not seeing things the way an experienced driver does. My guess is that's why accuracy goes out the window in a lot of gunfights. The brain is used to using a large percentage of it's processing power when shooting (has not had the mechanics of shooting optimized yet) but finds itself unable to devote as much processing power in a gunfight due to the need to focus on the developing situation. Lots of practice optimizes the mechanics of shooting in the brain and allows it to focus on the situation while still giving the shooter the ability to effectively use the gun.

Sorry for running on like that.

Last edited:

guns_up

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Danville
    as a younger man I thought that .40 was the best of both worlds, but with the advances of ammo technology I now believe that you can get 9mm that will get the job truly done. That being said .45 is so hot

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Thank you all for the feedback. I will be keeping the Glock 17 and become more proficient with it - just joined MCF&G and also there will be a new indoor range in Beech Grove very close to my house.

I know I will be buying a .22 for the wife to get better at and probbaly will get something else for me as I build my collection. I can easily see why so many people have so many its addicting and i want to keep what I already have as well

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The Glock 17 is one of the finest 9mm pistols in the world and with the number of companies producing good quality self-defense ammunition you shouldn't feel under-gunned with it.

The next step is finding a good range that holds some sort of shooting competition like IDPA or USPSA to get some fun and safe trigger time that isn't just punching holes in paper.

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Good advice from all to consider. I would add that in a SD situation, stress will be plentiful. Impossible to simulate accurately. However, suggest you participate in some type of timed competition that introduces a little stress. You will find out just a little stress causes unexpected problems. Oops, forgot the safety - Is there a round in the chamber? - Magazine not seated? - Sight picture? Better to work through problems in a non life threatening situation.

Top Bottom