• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    I suppose it may be a HIPPA "violation" if you are "practicing" but once diagnosis is complete I don't see how it could be as a parent and guardian of your children...
    One of my nieces would be dead if her father, a DOCTOR, hadn't reviewed her hospital records (after days in the hospital) and had her rushed to emergency brain surgery. Two years later she is your typical 8 year old.
    Sorry, don't mean to thread-jack... just hate to see the "government" tell us how to parent.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    It's difficult to self-evaluate honestly though. Also, insurances will deny self-referred testing if it's expensive. I treat my kids but my wife gets mad and wants it all documented in their medical record. I've been told it's a HIPPA violation if I open my family's records to review or document even if I'm their treating physician because it's not "a requirement to do my job" since I am not employed to treat my family at home.

This is what the idiot government gets us.

i'm sure you document everything about the examination in their chart before writing prescriptions as required by Indiana law.:):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    i'm sure you document everything about the examination in their chart before writing prescriptions as required by Indiana law.:):

Exactly. Idiots making laws. I can write it on a piece of paper in my house. We all have multiple charts. Of course then they'll probably nail me for running a medical practice from home without Board of health certification

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    OK so I don't have enough posts to PM....bummer. I appreciate all of your insights into this. Hoosierdoc, I do actually have a question for you (is it hi-jacking if you actually started the thread?): I heard on the radio yesterday someone's concern over Obamacare using records gained between Dr. and Patient to background check people, as though Client-Patient privilege will be gone.

The implication being (for example) if you were ever prescribed Paxil, then you're clearly a mental health risk and the Police should come to your home and take all weapons Post Haste.

What are your thoughts on that?

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I've carried open in Crawfordsville Family Care and haven't had a lick of trouble. They've never asked, but of course why bother when the answer is on my pants :). Oh wait, that's the same answer for "did you wet yourself" Haha.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    "Zactly"

We sont have a GP butbour pediatrician doesnt have any signs up. He is an AWESOME old school doc and is a great guy in general but I still CC when we go. I am one of them there fellas who dont go around wearing his irons in the open... (read in a cowboy voice as I cant put it in purple on my phone tonight for some reaskn)... I dont OC anytime but definately would not to a Dr's office just because of the recent events.
    If you find one with no sign and like them then wear it in CC and if you must strip then wrap it in your jacket or shirt when the nurse leaves ya.

"Zactly" (cowboy speak) what I do. My doc told me he would rather not have guns in his office but he wasn't going to "dis-own" me for being discreet.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If I am the one being treated I would not take my gun into a doctor visit. As posted above you may be asked to remove you clothing and maybe even go somewhere, leaving items out of your control.. And if you read the fine print in most medical release forms you sign permission for them to take anything you bring in and dispose of how ever they want..
    I also try not to have much of anything of value with me..

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    My doctor's office, The Village Doctors in Zionsville, was gun friendly until they merged with IU Health last year.

Thankfully, the good GP there has now quit and will be reopening her own practice again somewhere in Zionsville. I plan to follow her the second she opens. One of 6 doctors to actually listen when I suspected I had a thyroid issue. The rest just threw a script for antidepressants at me and sent me on my way without a blood draw.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Find a doctor you like and try to keep them. Obamacare will screw everything up and end a lot of professional relationships. To avoid a competent doctor due to arbitrary signs by a company he works for seems a tad silly. Medicine is already overwhelmed and it's about to get a lot worse. The more barriers you place on yourself to get medical care, the less you will receive :twocents:

I was thinking the same thing. Unless the hospital/office space is somehow one of those few places where it's actually illegal to carry, just keep it quiet and go about your business.

I am a doctor, I called my FP's office to schedule an appointment for an issue and was told next appt is in July...

Wow. I have to schedule wellness exams for the kids several months in advance because they leave a certain percentage of their appointments times open for sick visits. But I've never had a problem with getting in to see a doc within a week (except the dentist; it's always a month or two out, and nobody goes to the dentist). This news is truly frightening.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Find a doctor you like and try to keep them. Obamacare will screw everything up and end a lot of professional relationships. To avoid a competent doctor due to arbitrary signs by a company he works for seems a tad silly. Medicine is already overwhelmed and it's about to get a lot worse. The more barriers you place on yourself to get medical care, the less you will receive :twocents:

I am a doctor, I called my FP's office to schedule an appointment for an issue and was told next appt is in July...

I just had to reschedule a visit with my Doc and the net available appt. was May 31. And like you said, it's about to get worse. If you want an appt. within a reasonable time it will be with a Nurse Practitioner or some other stand-in. The quality and availability of good medical care is about to take a HUGE hit for several reasons. And that is why I am loathe to change from a Dr. that I like.

Funny that I came across this thread because I was actually looking for one of this topic. Had to take my daughter who has been sick this week to the Dr. yesterday. As I walked up to the building I see the No Guns sticker on the door and said "Shirt!" :xmad: My 12 yr old asks "what?" and then sees the sign and looks at me like "what'cha gonna do?". I looked at her and at the seeming security conference going on about 30 ft. inside the doors and told her to wait inside and walked back out to the truck and locked it in the console, which I vowed I would never do. Oh well.

We talked about the situation after we left the building and I told her that I decided there that I would not do that again. I felt very uncomfortable leaving it in the truck (even locked) and won't be doing that again. Next time we go to the Dr. I'll either leave it at home or wear it in anyway (I CC) and go with the flow. I happen to like our Drs. and am not in the mood to look to change.

By the way this was at I.U. Health Saxony at the Deer Creek exit off of I-69 in the Professional building.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Well, my Doctor is retiring, so I've got to change docs anyway, I may as well find one at a practice that's conceal friendly.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If I see a sign on a doctors office that said no weapons allowed, I would run very fast.
    That is almost as insulting as a doctor asking my wife "Does your husband have firearms at home?" or a teacher asking my kid "Does your daddy have a gun?".

:orly:

Please tell me which hospital you go to that is gun friendly. Do visit government buildings, colts stadium, airports, post office... Or do they offend you as well?

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    I am so lucky to have the doctor I have. We have known each other since 1985. He has brought my 2 oldest kids into this world. He is currently a Brigadier General for the Army Reserves. I am an Army Vet, so we see eye to eye on a lot of things.

In a conversation several months ago, I asked him if he would question me about my firearms possessions if obama care required it. In a very firm voice he said "It is none of their damned business what you own". You took the Oath just like i did and this is the end of this conversation. A guy could not ask for anything better then that.

Top Bottom