A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I too am eyeballing an M&P, but in the .45 flavor.

I got a chance to shoot the .45 version last year. I remember remarking how the grip didn't feel any larger than my G19 grip.

I wish the 9mm had the forward cocking serrations. :(

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am almost in the same boat. I used to EDC a Glock 19. And then I discovered how much better I was with a m&p 9 compact. I recently sold my Glock 21, and bought a new m&p 9 compact.

And have been carrying it ever since.

And I'm seriously thinking about selling my Glock 19, to buy a M&P 9.

I'm just not sure what to do!

I buy guns I don't sell them. I am just saying buddy.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I forgot to add some of the videos we shot during Range Day 2.

First one is me shooting the M&P9 at varying sized steel targets from 15 yards (45 feet).

[ame]http://youtu.be/o_zED2l6Iuo[/ame]

Second one is me just drilling the 9" plate from the same distance. Here I was watching my recoil management and tracking.

[ame]http://youtu.be/411l-do8DaE[/ame]

The last one is what I used to critique my trigger control. If you watch it several times closely you can see how my jerking of the trigger results in a miss. Watch for my finger to come flying off the trigger after the shot breaks. Oops. lol

[ame]http://youtu.be/w-Rf6wk6OtU[/ame]

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You know... you're gonna miss that Kool-Aid :koolaid:

...and the cookies! :eek: Have you thought about the cookies?

Just kidding, I'm proud of you. :yesway:

No, really! You're one baby step closer to that sweet sweet XD love that you aren't yet ready to admit. :rockwoot:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    As a Sig convert, I know the feeling in the pit of your stomach. It's hard to admit that a particular tool works better. Buying the M&P is the cheap part, now think of all the mags, holsters, mag holders.... ;)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I love you man!

It takes a big man to look outside the box, when he has spent so many years defending that box.

Like you, I made the transition from Glock to M&P, except that I made the switch almost as soon as the M&P hit the market. The difference between us is simply that I was never truly comfortable with either of the Glocks I owned... They just didn't fit my hand or the way I shot. It always seemed like I had to conform to the eccentricities of the Glock, instead of just melding with the gun like I can do with a 1911 or M&P.

I have and always will respect the Glock platform for its innovation and vault-like toughness, but I recognize that man and machine have to be symbiotic to work well. I just never achieved natural symbiosis with the platform, but that changed when the M&P came to market.

This M&P group was just not possible with me behind the trigger of a Glock. My G19 would have been almost 2x CTC at 15-yards.
    mp40pro15yards.jpg

As soon as a better fitting (for me) polymer hits the market, I will ditch the M&P platform like a bad habit. Until then, the M&P is my go-to high-cap handgun of choice.

Welcome to the M&P club!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well written and thought out. I have the same grip issue with Glock. I haven't held an M&P but I'll have to check one out now.
    Have you tried a stock trigger model?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I will admit i didnt read all the posts so i am sorry if its been covered, but you compared a compact gun to full size. Often the full size guns are easier to handle, and your hands would probably be more comforitable on a full size glock 17 as they are on the M and P when compared to similar compact guns.

great write up and review, but you were not comparing apples to apples.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I will admit i didnt read all the posts so i am sorry if its been covered, but you compared a compact gun to full size. Often the full size guns are easier to handle, and your hands would probably be more comforitable on a full size glock 17 as they are on the M and P when compared to similar compact guns.

great write up and review, but you were not comparing apples to apples.

That really isn't correct. As a full size MP9 is the same size as a G19. The Pro or 5" MP9L is the same size as a G17.

Last edited:

wdan5906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Glock vs. M&P

esrice

Great field report! I have had a love-hate relationship with the Glock since I first shot a gen 1 in Feb. 1988. I have also had a love-hate relationship since I first shot a M&P 9 in Aug. 2006. No handgun has ever fit/felt better in MY hand--and shot better--than a S&W 5906/4006. I will admit, I am a product of the wondernine wars of the 1980's! I seem to jump back and forth from glock to m&p----right now going thru an m&p phase.

Top Bottom