A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Great write up! Including the letter was a great touch as well. I myself have the the short stubby fingers you speak of. I have tried a couple glocks in the past and could not get them to fit. Looks like I may have found my match! Thanks again!

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Great write up. Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail. I have not had a chance to shoot a M&P pistol. I love my XD's, but am always open to changes. Glocks just never seemed to fit my hand the way I wanted. I own a few, but only use them as range guns. Now i have the urge to go try the M&P out.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    great write up and review, but you were not comparing apples to apples.

The way I understand it, the sizes of the Glock and M&P don't quite match, but are stair-stepped. So one could conceivably say that the 19 and M&P9 are the same or similar.

For me personally the test was indeed apples to apples-- was I going to carry Apple A or Apple B?

I've shot a 17 many times before and it feels like a longer 19. The grip circumference is the same and the rounded off square shape of the grip is the same. This plus the swell in the lower backstrap on the Glocks were the main issues for me.

The differences between the two platforms are minimal, but enough to push me from one to the other. I still got love for my Glocks though. :D

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I bought a M&P 45, mainly because of the S&W name. After I got my mitts on the gun I realized that ergonomically, this is the most comfortable bottom feeder that I have ever held. My opinion is if the gun is not comfortable you will not shoot it well, after shooting the M&P, I think this one is a keeper.

esrice, very nice write up.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I've never shot a Glock but holding one doesn't feel right. I just hate that grip. I always feel like I'm holding a 2X4.

The XD on the other hand...now that's a nice grip. :D

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nice write up, I usually carry a Gen 4 G19 and I love it. My GF has the M&P 9mm and she loves it, she likes the G19 but not near as much as her S&W. :): I don't mind the M&P, I've considered getting one in 45 acp for awhile now to compliment my Glocks. I was at my LGS today for a few minutes before work and I spied a like new M&P 9mm for $399, thought that was a pretty good deal. If it was a 45 I probably would have bought it and taken care of my semi auto pistol newness for awhile, but no dice. I wasn't a fan of S&W semi auto's until the M&P, I don't care for the feel of the compact model but the full size is quite nice. Either way you have a great handgun. :yesway:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :( So very sad!

Very good write up :yesway: Excellent research on your behalf and glad you took your time and were able to come to the best decision for yourself. Afterall that is why there are so many firearms out there! Gotta go with what works best for you since it is a tool that may be used to defend you or your family someday. Very detailed process you went through and well worth it! Congrats and enjoy! :ingo:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just curious, why does the grass grow better behind where you are shooting? Is it the frequent aeration? Sulfur deposition from powder residue? Dangerously low lead levels in the surrounding grass leading to anemic growth?

That M&P is a fine looking gun too.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Good luck! Im glad you found what works for you. Biggest "sale regret" of my life was getting rid of my 19 though :/ ... Still love the 27, but that was a great firearm.

I've never shot a Glock but holding one doesn't feel right. I just hate that grip. I always feel like I'm holding a 2X4.

The XD on the other hand...now that's a nice grip. :D

xd_v_g26_size-1.jpg

:dunno: what does that make the xd? a 1.984X3.8538 :laugh: (dont forget its fatter than the already obese glock as well)

Last edited:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    A rational approach to which gun to own is very refreshing. I am in the camp that shoots what best fits them regardless of the name. I have shot Glocks and didn't like them, but I wouldn't bash someones decision to own one based on my experience.
    Good luck with your decision.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    A very rational decision. I think it is good for the INGO members to see the proper way to choose a weapon. So much of the time, I would imagine, someone goes into a gun store and see's somthing that looks "cool" to them, and the salesperson naturally agrees with their decision, and then they spend the next few days, months, years, trying to convince everyone else that they made the "right" decision.

I appreciate your thoroughness. The lesson here is that what works well for one person isn't necessarily the best for another. I appreciate the process that you went through and the detail through which you made a very good decision for yourself.

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    I have to agree. I was the proud owner of a G23. At the time I thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It shot well, and I shot it well. Very reliable weapon. Then.....I met the XD. To me, it was all about comfort and what resulted for me due to increased comfort. I will never bash, or disapprove of a Glock. Just not near as comfy for me!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Last Friday, Bradis had a VTAC demo 9mm for sale...

Coyote slide & coyote frame... VTAC sights (slick!!)...

Purdy gun. :D

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Like an XD!:D

:yesway::D

I too am of the camp that you should buy and carry the firearm that feels/shoots the best for you. I shot a G2 Glock 19, and just didn't care for it. I liked the feel of the M&P 9, but didn't want to have to buy the gun, then spend X more on a trigger job. Fondled the XD 9 and 9C at my LGS, and then read up on the XDm... after that ATM graciously allowed me to violate his XD(m)? 9, and I loved it... the trigger is smooth and crisp, grip fits my hands like someone molded it from my hand! I also really like having 19+1 capacity. I took the plunge and purchased an XDm 9mm 4.5" in black with standard sights (will replace the sights later) and since Springfield is such an awesome company, less than one week after purchasing the firearm, I received in the mail 3 additional mags, and a mag carrier for free! I couldn't be happier with my purchase... so far I've put about 350 rounds down range, and plan on doubling that next weekend.

I respect the Glock and the M&P lines, they just weren't for me. :)

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is there a 12 step program to get off the koolaid?

I actually first started this process over a year ago. I had shot a few friends' M&Ps and liked them, but I was not yet ready to commit. I still had to be sure that they were as reliable and could be run hard without issue. It wasn't until this year that I decided to take the time to really take a closer look.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Evan,
    If you need somewhere to donate all of your midframe Glock-sized accessories, my 23 fits in all of those things. Just sayin', I'm here for you. :D

I appreciate the . . . um. . . support? :D

I run a pretty basic system, but I can certainly shoot you a PM ahead of time before the items hit the Classifieds.

Top Bottom