• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    re; kids

You are correct; at 3 years old guns just aren't really on my son's radar.

Yet.

I know it's coming though and I want to be ready for it.

I have avoided the keys problem entirely by using dial combination locks and sequential keypad locks - now I just have to keep him from figuring out the combination ;-)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I wasn't so lucky with the youngest one (2.5yo)... the fact that his brothers are 8 and 11... he learned about guns and swords and a lot of other stuff :rolleyes: very early...

"Eddie Eagle" just started earlier this month with him and Allie, who just showed curiosity for the first time (5yo).

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I put these handouts together because questions routinely come up in our NRA Basic and First Steps Pistol classes; and it's not covered, and we don't have time in class, but the information is very necessary for most for the students, IMHO...

And I've had a few requests, so I though I would put up the info on the DCC website and post it here.

Please, this is for personal use...

http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/WhatGun.pdf

http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/Laws.pdf

http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/Kids.pdf

http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/SelfDefense.pdf

Great job!

Just one question. In the Laws pdf you mention the National Parks gun ban being lifted, but my understanding was that didnt take effect until Feb. 2010. or am I mistaken?

Thanks for sharing these!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Great job!

Just one question. In the Laws pdf you mention the National Parks gun ban being lifted, but my understanding was that didnt take effect until Feb. 2010. or am I mistaken?

Thanks for sharing these!

Yes, AFAIK this take effect Feb 2010. I've been wanting to make a couple of updates for some time...

Safe@Home

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Near Lafayette
    Kludge,
    I know this is an old sticky but I noticed you had discussed kids with someone else. Currently we are keeping our handguns on the downlow. But while we were in a pawn shop recently and as I looked at guns, then my husband did, we took turns keeping our 6 y/o sons and 4 y/o sons at the front of the store.

Unfortunately, they figured it out pretty easy. My 6 yr old wanted to know when he could get a gun, as did one of my twins. I tried to explain that mommy and daddy would teach them the proper respect, safety and care for guns when we felt they were old enough to understand and be responsible.

In your opinion, at what age does that seem to be coming through? Our oldest is smart, responsive, etc. But the full ability for him to understand how much pain and damage that can be inflicted isn't comprehendable as yet. And certainly they are aware that anger control can get them in trouble all the time. I'm not sure I would be comfortable letting a little boy who can get very unhappy, very quickly around an object that can cause considerable damage. But does the training help them to realize this faster?

If you don't have an opinion, is there a forum on here that discusses it?

Thank you.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Great compilations--Kudos!
    There is one section I noticed that needs updating:
    http://www.danvilleconservationclub.org/Laws.pdf

Who can legally own/possess a handgun?​
    Generally speaking, any adult person (age 18) who has not been convicted of a felony or domestic battery
    may legally own and keep a handgun without a license,​
    but only:

•​
    in the person’s dwelling,

•​
    on the person’s property or fixed place of business.

… and that’s it!

This changed on July 1, 2011 thanks to Senator Jim Tomes and a number of other pro-gun legislators. Still, you advice to "get the license" is very sound.

Keep up the great work!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Those are great compilations of information, and you should be commended for assembling them.

Get your students' email addresses, and send the links to them. Possibly carry one laminated hardcopy to reference in class.

That amount of detailed information would be an overload to someone who is at a basic level of firearm ownership. Anyone who would benefit from having that on paper, will put forth the effort to click on the link.

Don't waste your time and money, and carry around, and clutter up your class space and time, with stacks of paper. :twocents:

Top Bottom