• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Kludge,
    I know this is an old sticky but I noticed you had discussed kids with someone else. Currently we are keeping our handguns on the downlow. But while we were in a pawn shop recently and as I looked at guns, then my husband did, we took turns keeping our 6 y/o sons and 4 y/o sons at the front of the store.

Unfortunately, they figured it out pretty easy. My 6 yr old wanted to know when he could get a gun, as did one of my twins. I tried to explain that mommy and daddy would teach them the proper respect, safety and care for guns when we felt they were old enough to understand and be responsible.

In your opinion, at what age does that seem to be coming through? Our oldest is smart, responsive, etc. But the full ability for him to understand how much pain and damage that can be inflicted isn't comprehendable as yet. And certainly they are aware that anger control can get them in trouble all the time. I'm not sure I would be comfortable letting a little boy who can get very unhappy, very quickly around an object that can cause considerable damage. But does the training help them to realize this faster?

If you don't have an opinion, is there a forum on here that discusses it?

Thank you.

:welcome:

Having 5 kids, I've been through this a few times...

My oldest is now 14 and the youngest is 5.

The "age of awareness" of guns usually happens around age 4-5. I make no attempt to hide my guns or gun ownership from them, but I make every question an opportunity to teach gun safety. The lessons change with the age of the child.

My youngest, having much older brothers became aware quite early, probably by age two. I heard him say the word "gun", and I said, "What did you say?" He repeated, "gun." So the the Eddie Eagle training started very early with that one. Eddie Eagle Safety Program Parents can get free materials by calling.

By the time he was three and a half or four he knew all the Eddie Eagle rules by heart and could repeat them back by heart. One day I came home from work and my wife said, " 'Billy' won't go into your bedroom because you left the gun cabinet open." I replied that I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case, but I went to check anyway. Sure enough I had left my reloading supply cabinet open... not the gun cabinet, (gun powder is in yet a different cabinet). It was locked. But it shows the effectiveness of starting early and staying with it.

A year ago he fired the .22 rifle for the first time and really liked it. (Using silent Aguila Colibri ammunition.) My 14 year old doesn't like to shoot. The 12 year old is pretty much autonomous now with .22 rifle and .22 handgun. My 10 year old daughter likes to shoot but still needs help. My 8 year old daughter has been and continues to be pretty much oblivious. So not every child is the same, and at the age of your boys I can totally see them to have a very high level of curiosity.

The key is to teach respect and compliance to the rules, dispel curiosity, and dispel the myths. There is some good advice on that subject here --> Cornered Cat Scroll down and read all of the chapters on kids and guns.

Whenever a young child is handling a gun there must be 100% attention from the parent at less than arms length and immediate gentle correction when the rules aren't being followed. And then make sure they see you follow the rules 100%.

Kathy Jackson's methods (Cornered Cat) are pretty much the way I do it with my kids. When one of them wants to "see" one of my guns we repeat the rules together, then we decide on a safe direction, then we pick up the gun with our finger off the trigger, open the action and make sure it is not loaded (showing them how to check), then we reiterate the safe direction and the "no fingers on the trigger" rule, and then they can hold the gun - action open - for as long as they like. We talk about when we want to shoot a gun we have to take it to a safe place, like the shooting range, or whatever else comes up.

I also have something they can shoot at the range. Age 4-6 is usually when they shoot for the first time... with A LOT of supervision.

Safe storage of guns and ammunition is essential. Think in terms of "layers" of protection that fit your needs. Very basic and very inexpensive but effective security consists of storing and locking ammunition separate from firearms, and cable locks or pad locks that prevent the gun from being loaded.

REMEMBER, the lock is only as secure as the key, and as Massad Ayoob likes to say, you child literally has YEARS to find all of your hiding places... for guns and the keys. Don't leave things to chance.

I HATE TRIGGER LOCKS. Most of the time they don't prevent the gun from being loaded. Plus if they don't fit properly or are not installed correctly, the gun can still be fired.

When it comes to "anger management" this is the type of education that happens every day as parents. We help our children find ways to resolve conflicts in positive ways. Yes, I do understand how challenging this is, and it's not always wise to step into the middle of every squabble -- they have to learn how to get through these things. I sometimes do a "slow motion replay" so they can learn about cause and effect, and with the older kids I sometimes immediately point out when I feel their words or actions were just meant to antagonize and provoke. And like all parents I wonder if I'm getting through. :n00b:

Last edited:

Safe@Home

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Near Lafayette
    Kludge,
    Thank you for all the VERY useful information on kids and guns. I didn't know if there was a place on here to discuss it, perhaps it's just me but that has always been a huge concern for me.

Unfortunately, I don't remember how it was done for us as children. We had a huge family and our house was the place to congregate for all the kids out in the country. As I was the youngest of eight and the only girl, I was a tomboy. I actually met my husband racing gokarts when we were 11 and 7 and knew how to tear down an engine at a very young age. But was never into the hunting thing. My brothers would trap, hunt and fish. And on a working farm we learned early where the food came from. I actually went without meat for a couple of years after I realized that the pigs, cows and chickens that we raised were what I was eating later at the table. I know that every time my brothers brought home a rabbit, deer, etc I made it hard on them by being very upset. As I said earlier, my parents also competed in skeet shooting as did my brothers. I did every once in a while, but back then they pain in my shoulder wasn't worth it. Loved 22 rifles and smaller guns but never really got into it. I guess it was osmosis, LOL. I knew that others could be hurt badly by guns, so my respect was from a young age.

In this day and age, with all the games and movies with gratuitous violence I worry that kids are desensitized to it but also think that they or others can just get up and walk away. Or get another life and start over. So my questions on this are based on that.

I didn't mean to imply that my children are bad or have issues. They are actually very polite, well behaved and respectful. (Most of the time). But as all children do, they are constantly learning and developing interpersonal skills, which to me is a life long process-for us all. Fairness and compassion are learned, and also that which we do is just as important as what we say.

I will look into those links and sites you gave me, discuss it with my husband and start with those rules as you suggested. I do feel the same about trigger locks, as the first rule states quite clearly-all guns are loaded or you assume they are. Keeping the ammunition separate is a big priority. One of my favorite quotes is: “Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands"-Col. Jeff Cooper.*

Thanks again for taking the time to write that all out and giving me your personal observations.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The handout that covers Indiana hangun laws has finaly been updated!

Check it out if you like, but please do not disseminate, treat as copyrighted material.

Thanks,
    kludge

Top Bottom