• chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And back to the OP:

Again and again and again the public wins on this issue in the courts and the government loses. Yet, somehow these police avoid being held responsible because they had "qualified immunity" for being ignorant of the law.

Not only the law, and growing judicial consensus, but also explicit police department policy.

I have an inherent problem with "qualified immunity" for a police officer's ignorance of the law (law that it is the officer's explicit duty to enforce), especially when "ignorance of the law" is not a valid defense for those without badges.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Believe it or not, I'm just getting around to reading through this thread.

Judicial activism comes in all forms, I guess. While there may well be a right to observe what happens in public and record it, I don't see it in the First Amendment. I don't write the decisions, though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And back to the OP:

Not only the law, and growing judicial consensus, but also explicit police department policy.

I have an inherent problem with "qualified immunity" for a police officer's ignorance of the law (law that it is the officer's explicit duty to enforce), especially when "ignorance of the law" is not a valid defense for those without badges.

:yesway:

Top Bottom