A friend of mine made a BIG mistake (gun in airport!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Why? :scratch:

Once a person gets over the newness of carrying, it is actually quite easy to forget the firearm's presence or the need to disarm for whatever reason (no-carry areas, etc.)

The primary focus is no longer on yourself or the gun - nothing strange or unsafe there. Just need to pay attention to remember the stupid laws and/or those policies you choose to follow.

if you forget you're carrying, then it seems to me that your ability to use said weapon is zero. Situational awareness?

Have you ever forgotten you were carrying while doing so openly? :D

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    "Forgot" and "Irresponsible" are not the same. Give the guy a break. If one is at all self examining and human, you'll be able to identify things you've done with or without your own firearms that you'd do differently next time. It was wrong and he should be held accountable, but there's a lot of second guessing and verbal abuse going on.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I found out from a guy who works for TSA that protocol is for them to call the airport police department which they did. The APD has discretion over what to do next and they arrested him rather than allowing him to take the pistol back to his car. I'm sure he was cooperative so it sounds like someone at APD decided to be a hardass.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It was a gist from a relative so he filled out the paperwork, out it into storage, prepaid his $10, went back through security and boarded the plane. Thank goodness for common sense Canadians.
    This is not Canadian common sense.
    It's common practice.
    I ALWAYS have some sort of small knife/multitool on me.
    Like a leatherman squirt P4.
    Once the airport security found TWO knives in my computer case.
    They gave me the 3 options... mail it, return it to car, or lose it. I was close on time so I let them have them.
    I told the securty guy. "I want you to have it as a gift from me." LOL he said he couldn't do that.

1. This happens EVERY week in the USA anywhere from 10 to 25 times.

2. There should be no carry on luggage. Small bags and coats fine. But carry on luggage is a PITA for us airline people. And, it's legal to check firearms through. Maybe he was thinking he would check his firearm and forgot out of habbit like most people taking their luggage through the scanners. Hey it's possible.
    Don't even go there.
    The ONLY reason there are so many carry ons is because the airlines charge usurious fees for extra bags, sometime the first bag.
    What exactly did you expect? :twocents:

Frankly I am surprised... NAY Shocked:eek: at 2 recurring themes on this thread among INGO members.

1. The number of people that can actually say. "I ALWAYS know where my gun is. 24/7. This guy was really stupid for forgetting and deserves anything he gets.
    All I have to say to you folk is a light admonition.
    You're time is coming.
    Nobody is that good.

2. The number of INGO members that will so readily differentiate between a knife and a gun.
    This guy did not get caught trying to sneak a gun through security.
    They checked his luggage like they are supposed to and found a gun.
    If that had been a large tube of toothpaste, a boxcutter, a hunting knife, or a pointy stick he would have not gotten into the trouble he is getting into now.
    A gun should be no different.
    TSA finds one, they say 'you can't take this on the plane', Then you either check it, take it back to the car, or it's confiscated.

One more story.
    I was leaving out of Louisville and forgot about the time difference, so when I got to the airport I was running so late that they had already quit checking luggage.
    I had to carry on everything.
    I had a bag of tools that included screwdrivers, pliers, a hammer, and various other instruments of destruction.
    The woman at the counter just kept saying "You can't check anything take it to security" and she would not listen to me that there were contraband tools in there.
    I went to security. (they let me cut line since I was late)
    Put the luggage on the scanner and the guy went apoplectic.
    He said "YOU CAN'T TAKE THIS STUFF ON THE PLANE"
    I replied " I know that. The woman at the counter would not let me check it"
    We bantered a bit and I gave my standard line.
    "You can have it. I have to go"
    I was the last one on the plane and they were holding the gate for me.
    The woman at the gate was very nice.
    I told her about the tools and she said they would be at the counter upon my return.
    They were. She went and got them and put them behind the counter with my name on them.

Now watch this everyone.
    This is during the time when there were national guardsmen in the airports.
    I was never threatened, or in any fear of being arrested.
    Just basically facing the loss of my tools.

Why is a gun different than a bag of tools?
    Because some of you have bought a portion of the media line and actually believe a gun is a different level of infraction than a screwdriver.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    if you forget you're carrying, then it seems to me that your ability to use said weapon is zero. Situational awareness?

I usually assume I'm carrying unless I am aware that I'm not. I'd still reach for it instinctively, so if it's there... I can still use it.
    My situational awareness does not focus exclusively on my own hip.

Have you ever forgotten you were carrying while doing so openly? :D
    Absolutely. Could have been fired if the wrong person had seen me before I caught the fact and returned to the parking lot to lock it in my vehicle.

Guess I'm just too used to it being there. :dunno:

Last edited:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I'm surprised at how many people think it is acceptable to not know where your gun is at all times. :dunno:

Also, a gun is a little different than a tube of toothpaste. That post just made me laugh.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    /thread

From my POV, to be on the other side of this argument comes way too close to a passive willingness to give up our rights over "public perception" as shaped by the media... and that's not because this involved a friend of mine. I feel the exact same about any honest person who makes the same mistake (even all you "how could he?" types).

This is not Canadian common sense.
    It's common practice.
    I ALWAYS have some sort of small knife/multitool on me.
    Like a leatherman squirt P4.
    Once the airport security found TWO knives in my computer case.
    They gave me the 3 options... mail it, return it to car, or lose it. I was close on time so I let them have them.
    I told the securty guy. "I want you to have it as a gift from me." LOL he said he couldn't do that.

Don't even go there.
    The ONLY reason there are so many carry ons is because the airlines charge usurious fees for extra bags, sometime the first bag.
    What exactly did you expect? :twocents:

Frankly I am surprised... NAY Shocked:eek: at 2 recurring themes on this thread among INGO members.

1. The number of people that can actually say. "I ALWAYS know where my gun is. 24/7. This guy was really stupid for forgetting and deserves anything he gets.
    All I have to say to you folk is a light admonition.
    You're time is coming.
    Nobody is that good.

2. The number of INGO members that will so readily differentiate between a knife and a gun.
    This guy did not get caught trying to sneak a gun through security.
    They checked his luggage like they are supposed to and found a gun.
    If that had been a large tube of toothpaste, a boxcutter, a hunting knife, or a pointy stick he would have not gotten into the trouble he is getting into now.
    A gun should be no different.
    TSA finds one, they say 'you can't take this on the plane', Then you either check it, take it back to the car, or it's confiscated.

One more story.
    I was leaving out of Louisville and forgot about the time difference, so when I got to the airport I was running so late that they had already quit checking luggage.
    I had to carry on everything.
    I had a bag of tools that included screwdrivers, pliers, a hammer, and various other instruments of destruction.
    The woman at the counter just kept saying "You can't check anything take it to security" and she would not listen to me that there were contraband tools in there.
    I went to security. (they let me cut line since I was late)
    Put the luggage on the scanner and the guy went apoplectic.
    He said "YOU CAN'T TAKE THIS STUFF ON THE PLANE"
    I replied " I know that. The woman at the counter would not let me check it"
    We bantered a bit and I gave my standard line.
    "You can have it. I have to go"
    I was the last one on the plane and they were holding the gate for me.
    The woman at the gate was very nice.
    I told her about the tools and she said they would be at the counter upon my return.
    They were. She went and got them and put them behind the counter with my name on them.

Now watch this everyone.
    This is during the time when there were national guardsmen in the airports.
    I was never threatened, or in any fear of being arrested.
    Just basically facing the loss of my tools.

Why is a gun different than a bag of tools?
    Because some of you have bought a portion of the media line and actually believe a gun is a different level of infraction than a screwdriver.

Last edited:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    /thread

From my POV, to be on the other side of this argument comes way too close to a passive willingness to give up our rights over "public perception" as shaped by the media... and that's not because this involved a friend of mine. I feel the exact same about any honest person who makes the same mistake (even all you "how could he?" types).

I have personally said that I dont wish for him to lose his LTCH or his guns, and i dont believe he should be "forced" to get an LTCH to begin with.
    I hope to see the day that no gun zones are eliminated.

That said i still feel that not knowing where your gun is at is irresponsible.

Perhaps we should trade in some of our reps for a good dictionary. That said, we'll just have to disagree on this one.

for·get (f
    schwa.gif
    r-g
    ebreve.gif
    t
    prime.gif
    , fôr-)v. for·got (-g
    obreve.gif
    t
    prime.gif
    ), for·got·ten (-g
    obreve.gif
    t
    prime.gif
    n) or for·got, for·get·ting, for·gets
    v.tr.1. To be unable to remember (something).
    2. To treat with thoughtless inattention; neglect: forget one's family.
    3. To leave behind unintentionally.

ir·re·spon·si·ble (
    ibreve.gif
    r
    lprime.gif
    ibreve.gif
    -sp
    obreve.gif
    n
    prime.gif
    s
    schwa.gif
    -b
    schwa.gif
    l)adj.1. Marked by a lack of responsibility: irresponsible accusations.
    2. Lacking a sense of responsibility; unreliable or untrustworthy.

I say thats pretty close

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    If anything here is "thuggish", it's proclaiming, unequivocally, that you'll NEVER make a mistake, rather than having the humility to admit that you MIGHT someday (and not taking that into consideration when discussing this).

Last edited:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If anything here is "thuggish", it's proclaiming, unequivocally, that you'll NEVER make a mistake, rather than having the humility to admit that you MIGHT someday (and not taking that into consideration when discussing this).

Nobody has said anything about not making mistakes. Key point here is we are saying we will never FORGET about our weapons.

Big difference, there is nothing self righteous about it. I will make mistakes but forgeting about my weapon will not be one of them. After 20+ years of carrying I can say that with absolute confidence. When you need the use of your forgoten weapon one time you might get it then. Or worse some child finds it and a tragic accident happens. How can this type of mistake be acceptable to any responsible gun owner? More then likely he will get off lightly possibly even keeping his LTCH (I have no problem with that) but its guys like me that are not scared to bash someone when needed. Maybe he will read this and REMEMBER next time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe I am OCD, but before I leave the house I go through a list, wallet, keys, cell, pistol, knife, cigar. It is like those preflight checklists pilots do.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Forget nail clippers or aftershave, been there done that.

Forget something that could result in jail time, heavy fine or loss of taxed freedom.

I would like to think I'm responsible enough to not let this happen.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Or worse some child finds it and a tragic accident happens.

If this would have happened nobody would be on here defending him. But I guess since nobody got hurt it somehow makes it acceptable to some people to be irresponsible with guns. Yes forgeting your gun and going through TSA into a secure area in an airport makes you an irresponsible gun owner and only gives ammunition to Brady campaign, etc. Incidents just like this one makes it easier for those on the left to pass more gun control laws.

I can see the headlines now " Forgetful gun owner could have brought down plane. Thanks to our "Common sense" (:rolleyes:) gun laws and the TSA he was arrested and tragedy averted."

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I will not bow to the "I'll never make that mistake" police, because I might someday.

I have forgot to load a rifle into my truck that I was planning on taking to the range. That was an oops, my bad as people wanted to shoot it. Mistake. Not knowing what is in a bag that you KNOW will be scanned/checked at the airport isn't a mistake. That is what I'd call carelessness. I don't care how much I've got on my mind, I know what is in my carry on and suitcases because I make sure I don't have "no-nos" packed that would be confiscated and thrown away. "Forgetting" a firearm is in my bag WOULD NEVER happen.

Top Bottom