A friend of mine made a BIG mistake (gun in airport!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    All of you who say "this harms our cause" just don't have a problem at all with the fact that this story is even public knowledge. That's the first problem. When this happens, the person involved should be taken aside quietly and checked out, not made a spectacle of. If things check out, "Check it in or take it to your car, sir." End of story.

I've never used the term "self-righteous" in this thread. However, I can't believe how many of you acquiesce to enforcement like this against an honest citizen for an honest mistake. The system worked--the gun didn't end up on the plane. I'll never understand why that's not enough in and of itself.

This makes me sick.

Last edited:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    While this may not apply directly to the OP, I'm not sure the risk is so much forgetting about your gun as much as where you are with your gun. Many of us take it for granted that the weapon is sitting at 3:30 and naturally reach for it if needed. Carrying becomes natural and one feels naked without the little bulge or weight on the waistband. Ever turn around and walk back to your car to lock up your weapon before entering a gun free environment? This is being forgetful. Ignoring the regulation and carrying your gun anyway is being irresponsible.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    All of you who say "this harms our cause" just don't have a problem at all with the fact that this story is even public knowledge. That's the first problem. When this happens, the person involved should be taken aside quietly and checked out, not made a spectacle of. If things check out, "Check it in or take it to your car, sir." End of story.

I've never used the term "self-righteous" in this thread. However, I can't believe how many of you acquiesce to enforcement like this against an honest citizen for an honest mistake. The system worked--the gun didn't end up on the plane. I'll never understand why that's not enough in and of itself.

This makes me sick.

Some one referred to it a self righteous and some said get off our high horse. Pretty much same thing. Do I need a go find the quotes?

I can't believe you don't have a problem with him forgeting where his gun was. Scary to think that some people think it is acceptable to occasionaly forget about it.

The laws sucks and he should not be prosecuted for any wrong doing. Again my only problem his forgetfullness and peoples casual attitude accepting this because he is a stand up guy or the law sucks.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    All of you who say "this harms our cause" just don't have a problem at all with the fact that this story is even public knowledge. That's the first problem.

Should we really start quoting comments left on other forums and news sites about this. The anti's are saying he should get 10 years for this, and this is another reason we need more gun control.

This is a real headline for this story: Indianapolis Man Tries to Bring Loaded Shotgun Onto Plane | The Nayshun

When this happens, the person involved should be taken aside quietly and checked out, not made a spectacle of. If things check out, "Check it in or take it to your car, sir." End of story.

Yes it should happen this way, however we have laws we have to follow. ALL responsible gun owners should follow the law and never "forget" where their guns are. IC 35-47-6-1.3 This is in Indiana a class A misdemeanor.

This makes me sick.

It should, I'm just glad this isn't the standard of responsible gun owners.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    To the OP, this is just part of the risk you run when you post to a public forum hoping to garner support for your side. People may not see things the way you do.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Chris Paulsen, who I have known since I was a kid (we used to hang out together at the races) got busted at Indianapolis Int'l. Airport for sending a handgun through the TSA scanner before boarding a flight:

Indy airport security finds loaded gun in motorsports exec's bag | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

This was obviously an honest mistake and I feel badly for him and I hope this works out okay in the end. This guy is of the highest character; I can't believe he forgot the gun was in his bag. :(

OOPS

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Where is the common sense in this situation? Pull the guy aside, question him, do a background check... If everything comes up clean, "Take it out to your car, and have a nice day, sir." The right shouldn't even be denied in the first place, and anyone who doesn't mind seeing the "book thrown at him" because he is irresponsible is as big a problem as big government/TSA run amok. What kind of country do we want to live in, here? Let's apply just a little common sense...

How about "Show me your LTCH, sir" followed by "Have a nice trip... Your weapon will be safely stored until your return..."

Next best thing to taking it on the plane, IMHO...

[It's called the law. Like it or not it's to be followed. If you don't like it work to get it changed.

Whether it should be the law is a different issue. One discussion is over beer. The other could be under Bubba.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Don't even go there.
    The ONLY reason there are so many carry ons is because the airlines charge usurious fees for extra bags, sometime the first bag.
    What exactly did you expect? :twocents:

Eh hem. The bag problem has been going on LONG before 9/11 and airlines charging for bags. A long time.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Maybe I am OCD, but before I leave the house I go through a list, wallet, keys, cell, pistol, knife, cigar. It is like those preflight checklists pilots do.

You mean those preflight checklists that I've seen very experienced pilots mess up? Yah, even checklists can be screwed up. I've seen pilots see/feel what they want to see/feel rather than what is actually there. It's human. What we need to talk about is threat and error management. We all make errors. Threats are things that distract us from doing what we need to do. Trapping those errors is the management. Set things up that errors can't get through two or three checks. Running your hands over yourself 3 times before exiting the door is NOT 3 checks. You need to check yourself at different times/places to truly trap any errors.

Anyone who says "I will NEVER..." All I think is "yah buddy your time is coming." Because I know humans. And I know everyone makes errors. Everyone.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    As OP I did not start this thread to garner support for my friend. I am happy to see so much healthy discussion on the matter, whether I agree or not. I certainly did not expect unanimous support for Chris and I probably went overboard with terms like "high horse" and "self-righteous..." Sometimes people (myself included) let emotion trump logic when friends are involved. I do believe, however, I also tempered my comments with respect for those who disagreed along the way.

As stated before I will (with Chris' permission) update the thread with his explanation of how this happened. Or, I will point him to INGO if he chooses to do so himself. I only hope the community would treat him with the same respect most of us expect from our fellow INGOers...

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I sold my keltec pf9 because I go into Chicago a lot and may or may have not found on one or more hypothetical occasions how easy it is to forget that gun is in your pocket. I switched to heaver guns so I'm no confused as to whether or not I'm carrying. I feel very bad for him. That gun slips into a corner of a pocket or the corner of a suitcase and you just completely forget where it is.

I have a friend of a friend who's dad put a .38 pistol in his backpack on a hunting trip in Wisconsin (innocent intentions). The guy didn't know about it and went into the security line. I think he got a year or two of probation.

That's why I have a special pocket for mine in my computer case. I have gone through security a number of times and discovered that I had a 45 ACP round in my case. It was never detected.

Top Bottom