• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    Im looking to get a new dog. Ive got my eyes set on a German Shepherd, but i was wondering if anyone else had a good idea for a good guard dog thats good with kids let me know. (if this is in the wrong spot im sorry. feel free to move it.)

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    You can't go wrong with a German Shepherd when looking for a sentry dog that is good with kids. German Shepherd's take so little training to learn their job in a situation or family and they thrive on doing their jobs well.

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    Had a German Shepherd a few years back, wonderful dog. We had some workers come over and attend to a detached garage (lived on base housing at the time), and the German Shepherd sat at the back door and watched their every move, not making a noise. When the crew finished the lead was coming to the back door to tell my wife, noticing the whole time how good the dog was. When he crossed whatever line our German Shepherd had drew in the sand, the dog came unglued. The guy about did a back flip, and knew there was no way he was getting anywhere near that house.
    My daughter, now 22, told us back then she would get scared sometimes, and our Shepherd somehow knew and would go to her room and lie down next to her bed.
    Good dogs, the differnece between him and the lab we have now, the Shepherd would deal with an intruder his way, and the lab would happily show him where the good stuff is kept.

Last edited:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Top 3: Would be a Rottweiler, GSD or a Doberman. Have had all and all are great. I would recommend anyone with a family get one. All are easily trainable and very intelligent!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I grew up with German Shepards. Great dogs.

Before I moved out of my parents' house, we had a Rottweiler. Now they have 2. And I have my own, Barney.

I love German Shepards. BUT. Rottweilers are the BEST dogs we've ever had. And thats saying a lot, having grown up with German Shepards.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Consider a Rat Terrier instead of a large dog. Easy to feed and transport if needed, makes plenty of noise in the guard dog role.

This is my ode to Champion, the best dog in the world. RIP Champ....

I have had many large dogs in the past too. None of them were as good as that little Rat Terrier for guard duty. I don't think he ever slept.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    GSD without a doubt. Had a great one for 14 years. The day I had to put him down was the the day I cried like a baby for the 1st time in 55 years. Just got an other one from an INGO member a month ago and can't believe how smart she is. She (Zoey) and my grandson are inseperatable.

Bruno, even after 10 years, I still miss you everyday. See you at the bridge, buddy.

If they won't let dogs in heaven, then, when I die, I want to go where they go.

aijk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Eminence
    I have 2 doberman's and they are great with my kids and very protective of them and their house. I also have 5 week old pups if your interested.;)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I had a German Shepherd/Malimute mix. The VERY BEST dog I ever had!
    He was fantastic with kids (Even stranger's kids. On time at the park, the mother of a child wasn't watching her and she toddled toward the street and Mac blocked her and barked at me. The foolish mother "freaked out" until I pointed out that my dog was taking better care of her child than she was.)

I would LOVE to have another GSD.

PTA grad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'd have to recommend rottweiler or pitt bull or if possible a hybred of the two (rotten pitt) as seen in the pic for my username. You cant believe everything you hear about these dogs - like with people its all in the upbringing - the working class bred is a very noble and intelligent bred. Nonthing against the german shepherd, I just perfer short a hair dog.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Dobermans.

My parents have owned several over the years. They are excellent with children, very intelligent, and they play the part of guard dog well.

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    German Shepards are probably the best 'Watch" dog that is easily trainable and good with children at the same time. A friend of mine had one growing up and his bark alone got me every time, and it was PENNED up! I would also think that there might be a reason why police dogs are almost always a german shepard...just saying..

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I personally love my German Shepard/Siberian Husky mix. Looks like a husky has the temperament of a Shepard. When people come over she will literally not take her eyes off of them from the moment they enter till the second they leave, or at least until she figures out they are a friend. Then she is the most loving dog ever. While it hasn't happened yet (thank god) I shudder to think what 62 pounds of angry Omega would be like to an intruder...

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I personally love my German Shepard/Siberian Husky mix. Looks like a husky has the temperament of a Shepard. When people come over she will literally not take her eyes off of them from the moment they enter till the second they leave, or at least until she figures out they are a friend. Then she is the most loving dog ever. While it hasn't happened yet (thank god) I shudder to think what 62 pounds of angry Omega would be like to an intruder...

intruder what, intruder that is just an interactive chew toy.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    How are GSD's with small Dogs? I have a dachshund and i'm not getting rid of her. Just thinking of getting a third dog in the future and a GSD is on the list.

Top Bottom