• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Can you imagine the bad guy if faced with THAT? He/she would die of a heart attack or at least pass out - making it easier for the cops to pick him/her up.

Can't help but wonder how much he weighs.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    GSD best all around dog you can have .

X100!! I have a snow white one that is 12 years old. Smart,loyal and a great judge of character and intent. At night time she is all business. She sits on the front porch on guard, sniffing the air,ears perked and eyes scanning. Every so often she will walk around the house doing the same thing. I live out in the country and we have a lot of coyotes. A few years back we had a coyote that decided it needed something from our property. She tore the thing apart killing it. She means business. Love that dog.

I also had a doberman for a while. I don't know if it was from jacked up breading or what but that was the dumbest dog I have ever seen in my life. It was papered and everything but was so dumb I had a hard time giving the thing away. It kinda reminded me of a human that has been smoking pot. It just didn't get it.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    I think the Pit Bull is the best breed of dog, having had about a dozen dogs of all different breeds. Pit Bulls are loyal, courageous, obedient, strong, and desire nothing more than to completely please their master. My pit bulls would give their life to defend their family, and my 8 month old infant loves to climb on them. They are great dogs.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Love my Rhodesian ridgeback... had several but one I had liked to chew rocks.
    My kid brought home some glass insulators from the rr tracks. We had to take them from
    the dog 'cause he was breaking them up with his teeth! {His uncle liked to puncture tires
    chewing on them.]
    The ridge on their back makes them always look angry. They are very good people dogs however, and usually seek to please their master. My new one is very alert and
    notices every new thing. At 8 mos old he's 80 # and taller than my golden. The vet
    says he'll grow for 10 more mos.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    July252011

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Hands down. If you want a dog that isn't stubborn, learns a new command with few short tries, isn't afraid of anything, good at protection, can run like a ****ing cheetah, is smarter than hell.

Go with a German Shepherd. :rockwoot:

A few months ago i wondered what my dog would do if someone broke in. So i left the kitchen light on and the TV in my room on, everything else was dark. I put on a halloween mask on and when i came in he jumped on me and barked so loud i nearly **** my pants.

I took the mask off REALLY fast cause i was afraid he was going to bite me. Then he saw it was me and wagged his tail.

Another great thing about them is that they are a herding dog. So if you live in the country they will herd sheep, cattle, etc. Just train them.

My german shepherd is friendly towards people, but when someone comes inside my apartment he goes off. BUT if i'm there and i tell him to calm down, he'll chill and calm down. BUT if you try to break in.....well, nuff said.

The only problem you'll get with a german shepherd is Hip Displacia and the stomach twisting or turning.

Hip displacia can be breed out of the dog by generations. Like i said, RESEARCH THE BREEDER!!!!!!!! if you have someone who's only done it once, then good look with the vet bill.

The stomach twisting. that is caused by the dog eating, then running on a full stomach. But it's very common on large breeds. Thats why you never feed them, then exercise them.

You get your occasional cancers and other problems. But again, all this can be breed out of the dog. Be ready to drop 800-2,000 for a good german shepherd. :horse:

OH! and don't think training stops at puppy hood. They are always wanting to train! AND REMEMBER!!!!!! IF YOU CAN"T EXERCISE THEM 1hr-1.5hrs A DAY/ 7days a WEEK, you might want to get a toy dog.
    Maybe a poodle. Because they are not dogs you can just put in a backyard and call it exercise. Or else.......lets say you're in big trouble.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    I have to say go with a german sheperd. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a dog but my wife talked me into it. It was a good decision but don't tell her that! Our german sheperd is the best dog I have ever had. She is not fierce but very alert and the guarding part just comes natural to them. Most people are naturally afraid of them as well. She is great with our 1 year old. She obeys commands and is very mild mannered. I would recommend going with a short haired instead of the long haired, less maintenance. Hope this helps

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I have to say go with a german sheperd. I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a dog but my wife talked me into it. It was a good decision but don't tell her that! Our german sheperd is the best dog I have ever had. She is not fierce but very alert and the guarding part just comes natural to them. Most people are naturally afraid of them as well. She is great with our 1 year old. She obeys commands and is very mild mannered. I would recommend going with a short haired instead of the long haired, less maintenance. Hope this helps

I forgot to mention. One of the reasons i went with a GS was because people are afraid of them :scared:

Who's going to be afraid of a golden retriever :n00b: or a lab?

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    German Shepherd's are good dogs, too bad they are subject to hip dysplasia like my fav the pit bull :(

You're saying it like it happens to all German Shepherds. Hip Dysplasia happens when breeding is done wrong. But if you buy a quality GS with proven AOF (might be OFA) papers for both parents. OR if you want to know 100% sure, ask for the grandparents AOF (or OFA) paper work.

If the breeder doesn't have any of this, don't even bother buying from that breeder. Many back yard breeders want to many a quick buck.:spend:

I saw the paper work for my dogs mom & dad; the moms mom & dad and the dads Mom & Dad.

So, research your breeder. I take my dog to the park and on trail hiking and jumps, runs, gets kocked down by other dogs- and i haven't had any health issues with him. :rockwoot:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Im looking to get a new dog. Ive got my eyes set on a German Shepherd, but i was wondering if anyone else had a good idea for a good guard dog thats good with kids let me know. (if this is in the wrong spot im sorry. feel free to move it.)

Best animal with kids, IMO, is a Golden Retriever. Very smart and easy to train (we housebroke ours first night).

Ours is very friendly...with a BIG booming bark that scares the crap out of everyone...but his tail is wagging 100 MPH. Great watchdog. And you don't have to worry about him getting too aggressive, especially with kids.

On the downside....they shed. A lot. Make sure you have a GOOD vacuum cleaner. :)

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I have had Dobermans and German Sheps in my family all my life. Now I am grown up and have a family of my own. We have a Belgian Malinois, extremely intelligent, extremely fast and agile...and I emphasize this greatly...EXTREMELY PROTECTIVE!!!! Just look at their history and what roles they fill and I would say they are on the top tier of guard/attack dogs! His father is a Belgian Military dog and Mother is a former IN Police dog. Mack is our First line of defense in many ways!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Love my Rhodesian ridgeback... had several but one I had liked to chew rocks.
    My kid brought home some glass insulators from the rr tracks. We had to take them from
    the dog 'cause he was breaking them up with his teeth! {His uncle liked to puncture tires
    chewing on them.]
    The ridge on their back makes them always look angry. They are very good people dogs however, and usually seek to please their master. My new one is very alert and
    notices every new thing. At 8 mos old he's 80 # and taller than my golden. The vet
    says he'll grow for 10 more mos.

I really like my Rhodesian Ridgeback too, he is a very, very good guard dog, very aggressive & alert, great size, very athletic, I sure wouldn't want to tangle with him that is for sure.

Another upside is that he's really a great family pet too, he's a bit stubborn sometimes when it comes to training, he's very intelligent but he's also got somewhat of an independent streak, lastly but certainly not least, he is also very lovable & well mannered.

Top Bottom