A hammer is a gun on a gun is an Antique...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The man's reputation aside, he does have a point with technology. The DA/SA concept was invented during a specific time period and the mindset behind it was for the poorly trained soldier with itchy trigger finger and how that translate to today is people who switch from heavy triggers to lighter striker fire triggers will cause accidents. That's what happens when a system relies on the equipment over quality of learning how to operate better.

Every time I've read about said history of early DA/SA guns like the P38, the stories I hear is that soldiers can carry rounds in the chamber with no fear of accidental discharge or they can keep pulling the trigger on a round that failed to fire the first time because of the DA trigger. Which is a very old school mentality.

Even today, I hear justifications for DA/SA guns is the so called "safety" reason when what I think is it's a poor excuse for better training. No don't tell me people can't afford the time or money for training so they don't accidentally shoot themselves. If you are willing to spend money for self defense, then you need to get trained so you can not have accidents and that goes for any system.

Most of us will never really know exactly how good our "training" is, because we'll never be in that instantaneous, life or death situation. But we do know what the effect of adrenaline is, and I believe it's difficult to argue that a lighter trigger is just as "safe" as a heavier one under stress.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most of us will never really know exactly how good our "training" is, because we'll never be in that instantaneous, life or death situation. But we do know what the effect of adrenaline is, and I believe it's difficult to argue that a lighter trigger is just as "safe" as a heavier one under stress.

There have been many studies using simulators and pistols rigged with sensors to tell how much grip pressure was exerted and how much force was applied to the trigger. Results are pretty consistent. No trigger completely eliminates UDs, but some are more prone to it than others. One of the last ones I looked at was a test done by the German Police Trainer's Association. It specifically tested TDA pistols in both cocked and uncocked positions, 12 lb DA pull and 5 lb SA pull. The SA pull was "fired" 4 times more often in a loss of balance scenario, 3 times more often when kicking, 2 times more when jumping over something, etc. The DA pull was never accidentally "fired" during pushing or pulling with the opposite hand, but the SA pull was several times. (Loss of balance was actually the highest UD rate of all the things tested for)

Force Science News #3: Can You Really Prevent Unintentional Discharges? talks about it. Also note how difficult it is to fight with a pistol in your hand and avoid UD while also retaining the weapon.

In addition, he proposes that officers devote more practice to mastering rapid reholstering. At least in some situations this will allow you to safely secure your gun when circumstances change and you no longer need it in hand. With your sidearm holstered, you’re then free to use both hands to control a nonlethal encounter without concern about an unintended firing.

Like I said earlier in the thread, this is more commonly a LEO problem but I've seen it be a civilian problem as well. You need to be able to holster quickly and without taking your eyes off the threat. If you use any retention mechanism, one that automatically locks is ideal. If it's a thumb strap, it needs to be one that can't get in the trigger guard (which is rarely an issue with a new one, but leather does wear out over time...)

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/im...ifle_Instructor_2014/Section 15 Resources.pdf has much more info.

There is still a lively debate on weight vs length of pull and the role each plays, but each certainly plays a role.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    "People in class struggling with it" It's too difficult
    There is a reason why people make fun of James Yeager! Dude, if it's too difficult for you then use something else, don't call it an antique and tell people they should be using something else.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There is a reason why people make fun of James Yeager! Dude, if it's too difficult for you then use something else, don't call it an antique and tell people they should be using something else.
    It's too difficult if you don't put in the training. A lot of things are. Properly using a Glock is too difficult for a lot of people.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    There have been many studies using simulators and pistols rigged with sensors to tell how much grip pressure was exerted and how much force was applied to the trigger. Results are pretty consistent. No trigger completely eliminates UDs, but some are more prone to it than others. One of the last ones I looked at was a test done by the German Police Trainer's Association. It specifically tested TDA pistols in both cocked and uncocked positions, 12 lb DA pull and 5 lb SA pull. The SA pull was "fired" 4 times more often in a loss of balance scenario, 3 times more often when kicking, 2 times more when jumping over something, etc. The DA pull was never accidentally "fired" during pushing or pulling with the opposite hand, but the SA pull was several times. (Loss of balance was actually the highest UD rate of all the things tested for)

Force Science News #3: Can You Really Prevent Unintentional Discharges? talks about it. Also note how difficult it is to fight with a pistol in your hand and avoid UD while also retaining the weapon.

Like I said earlier in the thread, this is more commonly a LEO problem but I've seen it be a civilian problem as well. You need to be able to holster quickly and without taking your eyes off the threat. If you use any retention mechanism, one that automatically locks is ideal. If it's a thumb strap, it needs to be one that can't get in the trigger guard (which is rarely an issue with a new one, but leather does wear out over time...)

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/im...ifle_Instructor_2014/Section 15 Resources.pdf has much more info.

There is still a lively debate on weight vs length of pull and the role each plays, but each certainly plays a role.

As usual, you provide such great information. Thank you ! :)

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    What do I think about what? About Yeager,.......I think meth is bad and it will hurt you.

About what he's saying,.......there's some right in it but it's overwhelmed by the stupid.

I don't like a pistol with too much engineering in it. Don't like 'options'. Draw/fire/reholster should be all the options available. Don't want two different trigger pulls. Don't want any 'control' that isn't necessary. As far as that goes I can agree with the idiot.

But that doesn't have anything to do with striker or hammer. I have dozens of hammer fired pistols that operate EXACTLY like a typical striker fired gun. One trigger action, no safety, no decocker. Draw/fire/reholster simple. I have dozens of striker fired pistols too, but I prefer the models with hammers mostly because I prefer their triggers.

Yeager needs to get out more or be seen less,.....I'm not sure which. Do I understand correctly that people actually pay money for something they get from him?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Typical Yeager verbal clickbait.
    I'm not giving another view that this asshat so desperately craves to keep the YouTube revenue stream flowing.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    "I've got a fine horse underneath me...":)

You've gotta love the genius of John Millius's writing.

Del Gue: Ain't that Hatchet Jack's rifle?
    Jeremiah Johnson: Yep.
    Del Gue: How did you get it?
    Jeremiah Johnson: Found him froze to a tree.
    Del Gue: Damn! Hatchet Jack was a wild one. He was livin' two years up in in a cave on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

But this is America and he's on youtube and that's how it works! gotta make a sensation out of everything to drive clicks.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Smith and Wesson seems to agree with him as I don't think they manufacture a da/sa auto anymore. I have two S&W, a Beretta, and just bought a Sig 229 (a heck of a deal) I can shoot them fairly well, but Hickock45 says HE wants the same trigger pull every time he pulls the trigger and that makes sense (common). I not going to bash any gun that someone wants to carry, but just carry the thing as much as possible and shoot the heck out of it.

Top Bottom