• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosiergc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    A lot of folks don't know this, and most dealers won't tell you this(they don't want to screw up a sale), but I thought I would post this info here for those who aren't aware of this (trying to get my posting count up!)

When an FFL dealer(I am one)sells/transfers more than one handgun to the same person within 5 business days (Saturday and Sunday do not count) they must fill out a federal "multiple handgun transfer" form by the end of the day the transfer occurred. The form has the transferees info, name, address, etc., but also has the make, model, caliber and SERIAL NUMBERS of the handguns. Then, by the end of that day (transfer day) they (the dealer) are required to fax a copy to the ATF in Washington, mail one copy to the Indiana State Police( different states have different agencies for this), and keep one for their records. Long story short, you buy two or more handguns in less than 5 business days, the ATF has your info and the serial numbers of those firearms by midnight of the multiple transfer day.

At least with single purchases all the firearm info is with the FFL.

I believe the "reasoning" is that it's a way to stop the mass purchase of handguns and then the trafficking into high crime (liberal dominated) cities.

My ex son-in-law had a buddy who came in to a lot of money in the spring of '07. He went on a gun buying spree (many handguns). The day after his SECOND multiple transfer he got a visit from two ATF agents one evening at his housae, wanting to see the firearms. I guess they wondered if he was traficking arms into some god forsaken land like Chicago!

Note: This has been the law for the entire 10 years I have had an FFL. It's not something new.

Last edited:

hoosiergc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    BTW, This is nothing new. I have had an FFL for 10 years and this has been the law the entire time.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When an FFL dealer(I am one)sells/transfers more than one handgun to the same person within 5 business days (Saturday and Sunday do not count)

Saturday and Sunday DO count as "business days" for the purposes of multiple handgun sales, if the dealer conducts business on those days. The definition in this case is different from "business days" when talking about NICS checks (i.e. M-F).

+1, if you want to buy multiple handguns within 5 business days, just use a different FFL for each one, IF you're that paranoid.

Or, you can buy one outright, put the other in layaway and pick it up on business day #6...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've done multiple same day multiple gun purchases over the years. I've done multiple purchases in the same week. Never had a visit by the ATF.

Your multiple purchases probably weren't of the type, volume or frequency to raise a flag. Same person repeatedly buying large quantities of inexpensive pistols of the same make and model would almost certainly be on the radar...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    +1, if you want to buy multiple handguns within 5 business days, just use a different FFL for each one, IF you're that paranoid.
    Paranoid??? Who are you calling paranoid??? :):

tinfoil1.jpg

And that really doesn't help....but she gets killer reception!!!

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I had a stellar week a few years back. Picked up a consecutine serial numbered pair of 1872 Open Top repros in .45 Schoffield and then later on in the week, bought a Broomhandle Mauser and a Colt Cobra. Wonder why I never got a visit from the ATF? ;~) Not too many gangbangers going around with 7 1/2" barreled single actions or 70 and 40 year old handguns!

Doug K

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    when I worked in a small shop, we had a customer that bought 2 or 3 handguns a week for years. Almost always bought two of the same thing. loved consecutive ser.#s. It got to be confusing as to what guns to list on the multiple sales reports. We finally got a call from ATF questioning the sales. We had no reason to belive that anything strange was going on. occasionally he would trade guns in that he had bought years before (unfired). Atf said this guy was doing the same thing in a few shops. They did contact him by phone and he allowed them to come and look at his collection. As the agent put it " I think he has 2 of every handgun ever made" safes full of NIB handguns going back to the late 60's. guns stacked on shelves like books in a library. detailed records on all purchases and showed them that the only time he sold stuff was to shops if he accidentally made duplicate purchases of pairs he already had. They just wrote him of as an obsessive compulsive with alot of money.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when I worked in a small shop, we had a customer that bought 2 or 3 handguns a week for years. Almost always bought two of the same thing. loved consecutive ser.#s. It got to be confusing as to what guns to list on the multiple sales reports. We finally got a call from ATF questioning the sales. We had no reason to belive that anything strange was going on. occasionally he would trade guns in that he had bought years before (unfired). Atf said this guy was doing the same thing in a few shops. They did contact him by phone and he allowed them to come and look at his collection. As the agent put it " I think he has 2 of every handgun ever made" safes full of NIB handguns going back to the late 60's. guns stacked on shelves like books in a library. detailed records on all purchases and showed them that the only time he sold stuff was to shops if he accidentally made duplicate purchases of pairs he already had. They just wrote him of as an obsessive compulsive with alot of money.

thats one collection i would love to see

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    When an FFL dealer(I am one)sells/transfers more than one handgun to the same person within 5 business days (Saturday and Sunday do not count) they must fill out a federal "multiple handgun transfer" form by the end of the day the transfer occurred. The form has the transferees info, name, address, etc., but also has the make, model, caliber and SERIAL NUMBERS of the handguns. Then, by the end of that day (transfer day) they (the dealer) are required to fax a copy to the ATF in Washington, mail one copy to the Indiana State Police( different states have different agencies for this), and keep one for their records. Long story short, you buy two or more handguns in less than 5 business days, the ATF has your info and the serial numbers of those firearms by midnight of the multiple transfer day.

Well it was SECRET until you opened your big mouth!
    Didn't you get the Classified Dealer Memo with the Decoder Ring?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had to do that when I worked in a shop 15yrs ago. It was just more paper work to do and it does allow them to track ppl buying a lot of guns. It didn't seem to help much with the guy that was buying numerous guns from Don's and selling them in Gary and Chicago though. I think he bought quite a few guns every week for quite a while before he got busted.

Top Bottom