• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If he ran over the guys foot, because the guy was trying to open the door, and he was trying to flee while the guy was holding on. I doubt anything would come of the situation. Even if the guy was crazy and just wanted to ask for directions.

@OP what do you mean a "click" does a PT cruiser have buttons instead of handles or something? Sorry, never been in a PT Cruiser before.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Windows down, 1911 in the console.
    When I drive alone I do it all the time, have for years.
    But a lifted beater Jeep may give off a certain vibe.

Last yr cuz and I went through northside of Indy, some pretty rough areas, lots of people out. They were pretty friendly, polite about their walking/driving.

Didn't know what to expect, pleasantly surprised. It was daylight though.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I have reread this post several times to try to see where the use of deadly force could be justified. I fail to see that justification

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person’s unlawful entry of or attack on the person’s dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

(c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person’s trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person’s possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person’s immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If he ran over the guys foot, because the guy was trying to open the door, and he was trying to flee while the guy was holding on. I doubt anything would come of the situation. Even if the guy was crazy and just wanted to ask for directions.

@OP what do you mean a "click" does a PT cruiser have buttons instead of handles or something? Sorry, never been in a PT Cruiser before.

Yes it makes a click. The Cruizer has old style door handles with push buttons.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A few hours ago (I had to take a while to settle down) I ran a friend of my son home. While on the way home I stopped at the intersection of Darden Road and 933. I see something in the passenger side mirror (I am a mirror watcher, I have been ass ended by to many Saturday Night drunks). Next thing I hear is a click(door button pushed) and see a face looking me in the window. A blue car behind me. I jumped on the gas and got the hell out of there. In my mirror I see the guy jump in the car behind me. Lucky the doors on my PT Cruizer lock at drive away so they locked when I left my sons friends house, They did not follow me. They turned north towards Michigan.

I did not hang around to see what was going to happen. I usually lay my pistol in my lap when I drive at night. I do not know if the reason they did not follow me was because he spotted the pistol in my lap or I just spooked them with my fast reaction. I will never know. I called the police and gave a description of the vehicle. And the guy (the best I could for the time frame). They said they did not know if they would come out since nothing happened. Still haven't came. I doubt I could give them anymore info them what I gave them on the PH.

Point I am making is be aware of your surroundings! Be quick to react but don't over react. I was lucky and skill had nothing to do with it. The gun was never drawn. And I am thankful for that! Not sure what I did wrong here but I am sure I will be told about it! I have to much adrenalin flowing to sleep for a while. Everyone be safe!

Nothing like living near the Crime spree city of South Bend.

The NRA has a device that allows a holster to be mounted directly below the steering column. Might want to consider that.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think you did a great job, you wasn't just thinking I have a gun and am prepared to use it but what's the easiest and safest way out of this. It's decisions like yours that protect our right to bear arms. I say we'll done and stay sharp.

Thanks JM. A lot of people say they would shoot someone that would try to harm them. I don't know if the guy was or wasn't. I wasn't comfortable so I removed my self from the situation. The phrase"shoot first and ask questions later comes to mind" I have always though it was a stupid saying.

You never know how you are going to react to something until it happens. I have had a few days to think about it and I don't see anything I would have done differently. I am getting more mad about it. I wish I knew what the deal was but finding it out at the cost of loss of life just make sence. It's over. I learn a lot and am going to put it behind me.

Any stupid and or argumenitive remarks after this post are a waste of the posters time. I just wanted to warn people about locking there doors, be aware of your situation/location and to think with your head and not your weapon.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I can't believe that you carry a 1911 and drive a PT cruiser. They just don't fit together in my mind. Such an incongruity.:):

At least there is some humor in this for someone! BTW 90% of the time carry a 1911 and a S&W 640-3. They fit in the car just fine with my fat a$$.

Oh and there is room for range trips with 2 Rem 700, 30-06's. 5 10-22's, 22-45, Mini 14 Plinkser 702, Mosin Nagant 91-30 5 revolvers. Glock 30, Sig 9mm and a Ar-50. I would take more but then I'd have to leave my son home.:D

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Lucky the doors on my PT Cruizer lock at drive away so they locked when I left my sons friends house,

OP, and others....

Check your owners manual, most newer vehicles with power locks can be reprogrammed to lock different ways after entering the vehicle and before exiting.

I reprogrammed mine to lock upon startup (factory default was when put in gear), and then changed the unlock feature to unlock after the key is removed from the ignition (default was after putting park).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Would you suppose that's why I did not use any! I used what I thought was my best option. The gas pedal. Had the guy made it in to my car I might have made a different decision. Even then I don't know if deadly force would be use. Are you reading something I did not type?

My post was intended for those who think deadly force was justified for this situation.

You and I both agree that there was a different option.

You used it and are the winner.

2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    WOW,
    this happened close to where I live. I'm glad that everyone is ok. I read this post last night and grabbed my home defense gun and had it close last night. Thanks for the heads up! There seems to be a lot of shamalama ding dongs in South Bend as of late.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    That is a good point and most people don't ever think about thinks like that. That don't pay attention and absolutely nothing to protect themselves. Go for walks without even pepper spray. That would scare me I can tell you that.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person’s unlawful entry of or attack on the person’s dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

(c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person’s trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person’s possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person’s immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:

Just playing devil's advocate, but if OP had used his firearm, could he be in the same position as a certain individual with initials GZ? I know it's different circumstances. According to the above law, OP would have been in the right, but people can and will argue and protest and ***** to represent thieves. Just curious what others think about this.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Just playing devil's advocate, but if OP had used his firearm, could he be in the same position as a certain individual with initials GZ? I know it's different circumstances. According to the above law, OP would have been in the right, but people can and will argue and protest and ***** to represent thieves. Just curious what others think about this.

No Skittles were involved. Plus the OP never stalked any one.:)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My post was intended for those who think deadly force was justified for this situation.

You and I both agree that there was a different option.

You used it and are the winner.

Agreed. Luckily (for all parties) the car door was locked and so the option to simply leave was still an option. Otherwise, things may have taken a much different turn. To your original question asking if anything warranted use of deadly force, I think I understand your point. My only question would be, what if the "click" had been the door knob on the front door of someone's house in the middle of the night, instead of the car door handle? Would the "proper reaction" have been any different? Especially in light of the fact the Indiana Code treats a motor vehicle as an extension of one's home?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

The thought of "Leroy was just gunna ak's fer dreksions" passed threw my mind after it was over. It made me feel better about my choice.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have to say, I had no clue what you meant by door button pushed, and I thought you meant you hit the lock button. I thought you were overreacting abit, after reading 4 pages, looks like he was trying to open your door. In that case, GTFO is the best option. Good job.

Top Bottom