• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I give Norway this to their credit: they say they want to rehabilitate and not punish and that is what they have spent every dime of their money doing. I'm still in favor of a tall post and a short rope for the murderer, of course.

I don't see why it's the government's job to rehabilitate prisoners or to do anything for prisoners beyond keeping them physically and mentally healthy, but if there is some mandate to do so at least go whole hog in doing it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Actually, it does. They have a very low recidivism rate and actually work with the original "penitentiary" philosophy of reformation. Our system doesn't work. It's just a place to warehouse people.

I totally agree. Our system is in a no-mans land of punishment and reformation, that does neither well enough to be of any use.

Our prisons are more like training camps where prisons can swap ideas on how to be better criminals, and how to game the system.

The Indiana Constitution says that "the penal code shall be based on reformation rather than vindictive justice" and it seems that we lost sight of that almost imediately.

I also agree that if we didn't make EVERYTHING illegal we'd have much fewer criminals. I mean, you can get thrown in jail for not paying your child support for pete's sake.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    So what kind of crime rate do they have over there? Seems to me that in the US there would be a lot of deadbeats committing crime just for a better place to live.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Question: if I go to norway with my wife and I commit a murder. I tell my wife that makes her an accessory after the fact. Would we go to the same prison together. If not the deal is off.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There are many factors and many reasons our recidivism rates are so high.

You guys aren't really suggesting we could take some of our people from a maximum security prison and transfer them to Norway and they'd be cooperating and cooking meals with their fellow inmates and hanging out with guards and then getting out to a crime free productive life, are you?

In my opinion, the biggest factor in crime is culture. We have a variety of diverse cultures in this country, some of which tend to produce more than their fair share of criminals. Show me a city's demographic makeup and I can predict what kind of crime rate they have. I can also tell you where the worst neighborhoods are, and the best. I don't need to know the poverty statistics, either.

I'd say that a Norway type prison would be appropriate for certain types of criminals here, but that would be unpopular. Most of our criminals shouldn't BE criminals anyway, if they are in prison for consensual acts that we have criminalized. For that matter, most of the criminals in Norway shouldn't be in prison either.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are many factors and many reasons our recidivism rates are so high.

You guys aren't really suggesting we could take some of our people from a maximum security prison and transfer them to Norway and they'd be cooperating and cooking meals with their fellow inmates and hanging out with guards and then getting out to a crime free productive life, are you?

In my opinion, the biggest factor in crime is culture. We have a variety of diverse cultures in this country, some of which tend to produce more than their fair share of criminals. Show me a city's demographic makeup and I can predict what kind of crime rate they have. I can also tell you where the worst neighborhoods are, and the best. I don't need to know the poverty statistics, either.

I'd say that a Norway type prison would be appropriate for certain types of criminals here, but that would be unpopular. Most of our criminals shouldn't BE criminals anyway, if they are in prison for consensual acts that we have criminalized. For that matter, most of the criminals in Norway shouldn't be in prison either.

Boom, winning!

Top Bottom