• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    You would think the crime rate would be much higher.... state pays for conjugal visits :D

At Halden, half of all guards are female, which its governor believes reduces tension
    prison8.jpg

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Kryste. That cell is nicer than my first apartment (studio).
    It definitely looked better than my college dorm room.

If I ever found myself single, dogless, and needing to live in the city (all of which are damned unlikely), I'd probably look for a hyper-efficiency apartment much like that.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    This is how they deserve to be treated right? Yea they raped and murdered people, some even raped and murdered children. But there still humans so we have to make sure they are living in the upmost comfort. Forget those people who work hard and obey the law. These people in prison are the ones we need to focus on.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If you are laughing then you did not read all of those statistics and analyze them .

USA is ranked 2d in fraud against Norwas's 22d until you look at per capita then we are 18th as opposed to their 7th.

Same situation with jails, drugs,and car thefts.

Also both listings of safety perception say we are better.

The one thing that really surprized me wasthat they only prosceute 1:408 as opposed to our 1:22.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are many factors and many reasons our recidivism rates are so high.

You guys aren't really suggesting we could take some of our people from a maximum security prison and transfer them to Norway and they'd be cooperating and cooking meals with their fellow inmates and hanging out with guards and then getting out to a crime free productive life, are you?

In my opinion, the biggest factor in crime is culture. We have a variety of diverse cultures in this country, some of which tend to produce more than their fair share of criminals. Show me a city's demographic makeup and I can predict what kind of crime rate they have. I can also tell you where the worst neighborhoods are, and the best. I don't need to know the poverty statistics, either.

I'd say that a Norway type prison would be appropriate for certain types of criminals here, but that would be unpopular. Most of our criminals shouldn't BE criminals anyway, if they are in prison for consensual acts that we have criminalized. For that matter, most of the criminals in Norway shouldn't be in prison either.

tried to rep for this but it seems I have maxed out for the time being.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I've read a few things from actual Norwegians who say we're misunderstanding. The prisons we are focusing on are the nicest, lowest security, white collar prisons where non-violent prisoners are sentenced. Sentences are said to be a maximum of 21 years, but are renewable for further 21 year stints if you're considered to dangerous to release. A little different than what's been presented here.

whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    There are many factors and many reasons our recidivism rates are so high.

You guys aren't really suggesting we could take some of our people from a maximum security prison and transfer them to Norway and they'd be cooperating and cooking meals with their fellow inmates and hanging out with guards and then getting out to a crime free productive life, are you?

In my opinion, the biggest factor in crime is culture. We have a variety of diverse cultures in this country, some of which tend to produce more than their fair share of criminals. Show me a city's demographic makeup and I can predict what kind of crime rate they have. I can also tell you where the worst neighborhoods are, and the best. I don't need to know the poverty statistics, either.

I'd say that a Norway type prison would be appropriate for certain types of criminals here, but that would be unpopular. Most of our criminals shouldn't BE criminals anyway, if they are in prison for consensual acts that we have criminalized. For that matter, most of the criminals in Norway shouldn't be in prison either.

Powerful statement about the times we're livin in

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've read a few things from actual Norwegians who say we're misunderstanding. The prisons we are focusing on are the nicest, lowest security, white collar prisons where non-violent prisoners are sentenced. Sentences are said to be a maximum of 21 years, but are renewable for further 21 year stints if you're considered to dangerous to release. A little different than what's been presented here.

This! ^^

In France we have prisons that look just like this ones, nice rooms and no bars on the windows.
    They are usually for minors or for adults with no criminal records that will just spend a few months or even weeks for DUI or other non-violent crimes.
    It's not were people stay for 10 or 20 years for murder.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It definitely looked better than my college dorm room.

If I ever found myself single, dogless, and needing to live in the city (all of which are damned unlikely), I'd probably look for a hyper-efficiency apartment much like that.

You should have gone to richy rich private school. We had maids and everything!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom