Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Ingo is a great, Top Shelf Site well worth the effort from both sides
    to help keep it running smooth!

My first thought was a weekly gun raffel as well,
    but understand the legalities and concerns that would cause.

Would a weekly raffel for a gift certificate be an option?
    That would allow winners to purchase what and where they wanted.

5,600 members with 1/5 buying (1,120 tickets) @ $ 2.00 ticket
    once a week = $2,240.00. Divide that 2-ways and winner gets $1,120.00
    With the figures used, that would throw roughly $56,000. towards the cause.
    Just a quick thought.

M

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    possible simple small step to help in the mean time.

this will not fix the need for a server but I wanted to post this question a while back anyway. What are the things we as non tech savvy ingoers can do voluntarily to lessen the load on the server. I am not sure what creates load, traffic and storage issues but are there simple things that we can do like keep our pm box cleaned out, reduce graphics on avatars or sig lines etc. Having one of the many tech guys post a list in descending order of activities that demand the most server power might open a lot of our eyes (mine) to some VERY simple ways to help. I am not asking to ask people to sterilize this to a text only forum but I would like to know if I had several ways to post a pic which is easier on the server, does staying logged in when I am away cause drag. A basic bullet point list of forum behaviors that could reduce server drag. Kind of like all the "Green" people that post a list of things you can do and might not be aware of that save energy but this would be things that reduce demand on the server. Like posts that go on and on and rephrase the same point over and over in different sentences...:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    why would you not be able to do a raffle? im sure one of our ffl people would handle the transfers. you could even make the winner pay transfer fees.

if i look around im sure i can find some stuff to donate

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    this will not fix the need for a server but I wanted to post this question a while back anyway. What are the things we as non tech savvy ingoers can do voluntarily to lessen the load on the server. I am not sure what creates load, traffic and storage issues but are there simple things that we can do like keep our pm box cleaned out, reduce graphics on avatars or sig lines etc. Having one of the many tech guys post a list in descending order of activities that demand the most server power might open a lot of our eyes (mine) to some VERY simple ways to help. I am not asking to ask people to sterilize this to a text only forum but I would like to know if I had several ways to post a pic which is easier on the server, does staying logged in when I am away cause drag. A basic bullet point list of forum behaviors that could reduce server drag. Kind of like all the "Green" people that post a list of things you can do and might not be aware of that save energy but this would be things that reduce demand on the server. Like posts that go on and on and rephrase the same point over and over in different sentences...:D

The load is almost entirely database-related. It's got nothing to do with how many PM's you have stored or anything like that. We just have too much traffic for the size of our server. You, as a member, can't really do anything to alleviate that, but thanks for asking.

why would you not be able to do a raffle? im sure one of our ffl people would handle the transfers. you could even make the winner pay transfer fees.

Indiana has some pretty specific laws covering raffles, including who can legally hold a public raffle. You throw a firearm into the mix and it just complicates things. We've been down this route before.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    An option outside of cash is to donate services (don't even go there) for the auction or as a separate thing. There are a lot of skilled people here that could get a little exposure and give back. Kind of like the thread that allows you to post your business on here but this would be a separate thread to post your services to Ingoers for the benefit of the server fund (or insert needed fund here for future needs). The setup would be fairly industry, skill specific. Personally as a dentist I would have any new patient from INGO charge half my regular fees for a new patient exam, xrays and work up with all the money going to INGO. Than way it is a deal for both people, 1/2 off for the ingo patient, and INGO gets money.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    If we cant do the gun raffles why couldnt Fenway just take the gun as a donation then sell it on here.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    what about poker tournements. set up as many as you can across the state. everyone throws in say 20 bucks or so. if you are playing with 7 people at your table and win you get 70 bucks and ingo gets 70. truth be known i bet alot of the time the winner would give all of it back but its a idea. im not sure how many members are in my area but im sure the indy, ft wayne and bigger citys could get quite a few tables. plus it could turn into a weekly thing with some people

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Indiana has some pretty specific laws covering raffles, including who can legally hold a public raffle. You throw a firearm into the mix and it just complicates things. We've been down this route before.

So could an individual citizen ( one that just HAPPENS to be an Ingo member)
    hold a "private raffle", and just "donate" the proceeds to Ingo?

There is more than one way to skin a cat!;)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Could be we have the cart before the horse. I'd like to know how much money we need. THEN we can figure out how best to raise it. Think about it, the vast majority of members here have firearms (not cheap). We also have ammo (not cheap). I'd rather give INGO $25, or $50, and forget about someone having to organize, and do the logistics for a raffle, auction, or whatever. Besides it would be lots faster

Say half of the current membership gave $10.... that's over $28,000. Sounds like pretty good servers to me......... :rockwoot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Could be we have the cart before the horse. I'd like to know how much money we need. THEN we can figure out how best to raise it. Think about it, the vast majority of members here have firearms (not cheap). We also have ammo (not cheap). I'd rather give INGO $25, or $50, and forget about someone having to organize, and do the logistics for a raffle, auction, or whatever. Besides it would be lots faster

Say half of the current membership gave $10.... that's over $28,000. Sounds like pretty good servers to me......... :rockwoot:

I'm up for easy:yesway: and in for at least $25 if that's how we want to go!

Think we could find a server that would only "bump-off" or slow-down on those who did NOT contribute?:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

do you think 1/2 of the current membership would give 10 dollars? less than half of the memebrship gave 10 dollars to become site supporters and if half the members were site supporters we might not have this thread to begin with.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I think that there's enough merit to the site that more folks would give $10 now, than this time last year.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I say we get one of those "dunk tanks" and put Scutter in it.... That oughta net us a mint! :rofl:

Sounds good but I see what might be small problem with it, you put up a target most of us aren't going to be throwing baseballs. :ar15:

Do the same laws cover private raffles? As in only to INGO members or even just site supporters?

Someone mentioned an auction to ban a user for 1 week. Highest bidder gets to use the BAN HAMMER! :D

You'd be set for years.

Bring back the Girls and Guns thread and have a new membership tier to access it :-)

See above

And the site store would be a good idea also.

I feel bad I haven't sent in my donation before for site supporter, I keep forgetting about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom