• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Hi INGO,
    I'm purchasing my first carry gun and by default, I'm concerned about printing. I'm a thin guy, and usually expected to dress business casual (ie. always a tucked in shirt), so I've decided to go with something pocket to subcompact. I'm told I'll eventually quit worrying about this when I realize the people who actually identify printing are generally carrying themselves and I'll want to switch to something bigger. So I figure I'll end up carrying something for a while but then passing it off to my fiance in pursuit of a larger carry. I've done some research but trust actual owners testimonials over YouTube videos and manufacturer websites. I'd like to share my thoughts on a few guns and see what you all think.

I'm interested in carrying a 9mm preferably with factory night sights so I've been looking into:

Kahr PM9 - I like the single stack feel and the light, striker trigger. I've always been partial to bi-tone guns and feel like this is probably the smallest (high quality?) 9mm I could purchase.

Ruger LC9 - I've heard this gun is very reliable and much cheaper than the Kahr PM9 but I've only held it at the last 1500 and don't remember being that impressed.

Kimber Solo - I really like having two kidneys but would maybe sell the less cool one to buy one of these. The rosewood on two-tone couldn't look sexier. I love the look, the feel, the size, and nearly everything else about this gun but the price tag.

Colt Pocket 9 - My first handgun was a Colt 1903 so I have a special place in my heart for Colts. I really like the feel of the Mustang but prefer 9mm to .380

Glock 26 - I admit I know very little about Glocks. They have the sexy, sleek, streamlined profile of a Lego brick but I've heard they are very reliable and people LOVE them.

Renting guns every weekend can be expensive so I'm really looking to get some advice, trim down my list to maybe 3 guns, and go test these out before I make a purchase. If I've overlooked a really good candidate please chime in and I'll add that to my gun fondling list for my next trip to the store.

Thanks everyone,
    ThisIsMyBOOMStick
    Resident Noob

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It doesn't have factory NS, but I like my S&W M&P Shield 9mm. It is a single stack and you get get 7 or 8 +1 capacity. The make IWB 'tuckable' holsters that wont print a whole lot. I am about 5'10" 220lbs, so not little, but I can carry this with a tucked in shirt and little to no printing.

Of the ones you listed I have 0 experience with any of them, but for the price I would opt out of the Kimber. The Ruger has a similar grip to the Kel-Tec P11 I used to own...personally I did not like the grip, but some people do. Of course you will have the Glock lovers say the 26, then the real Glock lovers will say screw the 26 and get the 19 (cuz that's what Yeager has so it must be good!) but if printing is your main concern you may just want a single stack, but that is your call. If I were to pick between your choices I'd pick the Kahr for no other reason than I like the bi-tone as well and want one just 'cuz.

Good luck in your search! If you are in the Indy area you are welcome to shoot my Shield sometime (I also have an M&P 9 compact that you can try out if you wish)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The PM9 (or cheaper sibling CM9) are good options for pocket carry. The Glock 26 is likely too thick/heavy for pocket carry in an office environment. Don't know enough about the other models to comment on them.

I'd recommend going to a gun shop or gun show and asking the vendor if you can try pocketing each gun to check how easily it slips in/out. Eliminate any that are tight as you will need to add a holster and will need to be able to pull it out reliably under stress. I've not had any vendors refuse when asked politely and done in front of them.

Keep in mind that you will want a good gun belt to keep your belt from sagging and having to hike it continuously. Search for gun belt threads- the Biobelt comes highly recommended.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    How thin is "thin!" Like Alfalfa from "Our Gang," thin, or just a slender guy?

Ha, well I used to be Alfalfa skinny but sitting at a desk for a few years has upgraded me to slender guy... But my gym attendance vs my brewery attendance are slowly upgrading me to a new set of pants soon I'm sure haha.

5'9" 160.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    If you are concerned with printing, go with a "thin" (single stack) gun. I would actually think, From my experience, you would have a easier time not printing. (pants are looser around your thigh area). I am a pretty "solid" framed guy, and I have MASSIVE thighs, (great for lifting and sports, trying to pocket CC... not so much.)I have an issue with pants being to tight around my thighs anyways, add a gun into the mix, it just gets worse. when I am not carrying my Ruger SR9c, I carry my LC9. I pocket carry it, and I print some, depending on pants. I really like my LC9. Is the trigger the best? No. but I prefer to have a heavier trigger when I pocket carry. The LC9 also does not have any really rough lines, it's a fairly "smooth" gun edge wise. Which I think helps in PC. I don't know about the Kahr. Never held one. My vote would be for the LC9, or if you personally do not like it, a similar size (length and width) gun. I think the 26 is too fat for PC if you are worried about printing. Hope this helps.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I carry a Taurus TCP. I love it, but about as soon as I got comfortable with it, I realized I could easily carry a pocket 9mm.
    So my advice would be to dismiss the pocket 380s all together and start with a single stack 9. You can always move down if you need to. Beretta Nano is ugly as sin, but quite small.

Sorry not much experience with the pocket 9s as I am just getting into them myself

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Look at the Sig P938. Single stack single action 9mm. Like a little 1911. They come in several different color combos.

Until recently, my edc was a KelTec PF-9. That would disappear with a tucked in shirt and a good IWB holster but they had problems with some of them. I had a good one. I traded it of for a S&W that was a bit bigger.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Here is a good comparison of PPS Vs Solo Vs PM9 Vs LC9.
    This guy does not think much of the Solo. Just because something is expensive does not mean its good.

[video=youtube_share;kaVEVGzjOuc]http://youtu.be/kaVEVGzjOuc[/video]

The Walther PPS is hard to beat. Plainfield Shooting Supplies has two used ones at a decent price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    If you are concerned with printing, go with a "thin" (single stack) gun. I would actually think, From my experience, you would have a easier time not printing. (pants are looser around your thigh area). I am a pretty "solid" framed guy, and I have MASSIVE thighs, (great for lifting and sports, trying to pocket CC... not so much.)I have an issue with pants being to tight around my thighs anyways, add a gun into the mix, it just gets worse. when I am not carrying my Ruger SR9c, I carry my LC9. I pocket carry it, and I print some, depending on pants. I really like my LC9. Is the trigger the best? No. but I prefer to have a heavier trigger when I pocket carry. The LC9 also does not have any really rough lines, it's a fairly "smooth" gun edge wise. Which I think helps in PC. I don't know about the Kahr. Never held one. My vote would be for the LC9, or if you personally do not like it, a similar size (length and width) gun. I think the 26 is too fat for PC if you are worried about printing. Hope this helps.

I have the same issue. I carry n a kydex pocket holster I found on eBay. Not Alabama (actually it had no brand listed), but it is flat on the outside, and only form fits the gun on the inside. I also have a plastic cover from a small notebook that I slide in between the holster and the pocket that really helps mask the profile of the gun, but doesn't get in the way of my hand. Now it looks like a phone or notebook (or PDA, though people don't really use those anymore).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I held one of those last time I went to Indy Trading Post. Ugly as sin is spot on. One of the things I worry about with a gun that small/thin is the recoil after a trip to the range has got to be uncomfortable to shoot.

Beretta does a great job of taming small guns. Size matters, but so does recoil spring weight and design, bore axis, smoothness and width of grip, how well it fits your hands, etc.

Pocket carry is not the best for not printing, IMO. Especially when you sit. A tuckable IWB with your cell phone clipped to the belt right next to the holster clip to cover it will print less, be less likely to draw attention, and allows a wider range of firearms to be comfortably carried. Like everything else, there is a trade off involved, and in this case that trade off is speed and ease of one handed draw. You will have to pull your shirt out, preferably with your support hand, to complete your draw. That's not great, but in a non-permissive environment trade offs sometimes have to be made.

I would also consider changing dress style a bit. I have a multitude of sports coats and suit jackets, both lined and unlined. This allows for a cover garment that's easily swept aside one handed, conceals very well, and still looks professional and not out of place (like a photographer's vest which was oddly popular with concealed carriers in the 90's and early 2000's for some reason).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    as long as you don't make a 50 post run

I've heard this before but I'm not sure what that is? I'd like to be able to PM as much as the next guy and have been participating in the forum to get there but I don't know what really constitutes a 50 post run. I didn't see any limit to how many posts you can make in a certain period of time so I'm assuming it's just the "quality posts" discussed in the rules right?

Ironically this is something I'd much rather PM someone about rather than post in the thread as it has nothing to do with the original question.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For your first gun, I recommend staying away from pocket guns. They're harder to shoot. Pocket guns should be for someone with a bit more experience.

Out of the guns you mentioned, my picks would be the Glock 26 and the Kahr. In that order.

I carry a Glock 26 everyday, and it's a wonderful gun to shoot and easy to carry.

Another recommendation to look at is the S&W M&P 9c.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've heard this before but I'm not sure what that is? I'd like to be able to PM as much as the next guy and have been participating in the forum to get there but I don't know what really constitutes a 50 post run. I didn't see any limit to how many posts you can make in a certain period of time so I'm assuming it's just the "quality posts" discussed in the rules right?

Ironically this is something I'd much rather PM someone about rather than post in the thread as it has nothing to do with the original question.

Yeah, there isn't an 'official' rule against it, but there are some people that will resurrect posts from 2 years ago and make a one line comment. Or others who seem to have a comment about every single thread out there and post numerous one-liners about everything you see. You should be fine as long as you have intelligent comments/questions and participate in the community of INGO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    For your first gun, I recommend staying away from pocket guns.

Sorry, I might not have mentioned. This won't be my first gun, just the first one I'd like to use as a carry gun. I already have a few random handguns and have shot a couple subcompacts in the past. I'm assuming a pocket gun should be a pretty similar experience (though I could be wrong?).

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My favorite pocket carry gun is a Sig P238. It's a great little gun that works really well for pocket carry. I usually have it on me as my BUG but sometimes have to rely on it alone depending on where I'm going. I have a Glock 27 which is identially sized to the 26 and as much as I'd love to put it in a decent holster and pocket carry it, it's just too big. Even when I wear cargo pants with pockets big enough to fit the 27, the weight of it does not work for me in the pocket. For me, any pair of pants big enough to comfortably fit a G27 are also big enough to allow it to move around and the weight of the gun makes that happen a bunch.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I can't recommend ankle carry enough. The trade off is access, but for comfort and concealability with my LCP, you can't beat it.

Most times, I am ready to hop in bed before I remember I have it on. I even wear it in my PJ pants on the weekends.

Finally, if you don't like to carry it, you won't. I would rather have a longer draw time and have it on me than leave it at home because I didn't feel like strapping it on.

Top Bottom