• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Shield or xds 9 in a jm custom kydex aiwb or aiwb tuckable. I love my aiwb with the extra tuck option. I like dale fricke's archangel too. Nuts to pocket carry, your sidearm deserves a rigid holster to cover that trigger.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I pm'ed you with a long response, but I think you'll find these "tiny" 9mm are not comfortable to shoot and have a less than desirable recoil level. I started with the kahr cm9 after doing lotsfof research. Great gun, but too snappy for what I desired. Stepped up barrel length and grip length a little bit with the kahr cw9. Pretty happy with it. Might eventually try the g26, but I wanted thin, les than 1" slide width. If you ever want to try the cw9 let me know, I'm in Greenwood though. Normally go to beech grove firearms or Indy trading post.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I pm'ed you with a long response, but I think you'll find these "tiny" 9mm are not comfortable to shoot and have a less than desirable recoil level. I started with the kahr cm9 after doing lotsfof research. Great gun, but too snappy for what I desired. Stepped up barrel length and grip length a little bit with the kahr cw9. Pretty happy with it. Might eventually try the g26, but I wanted thin, les than 1" slide width. If you ever want to try the cw9 let me know, I'm in Greenwood though. Normally go to beech grove firearms or Indy trading post.

Snappy, felt recoil is a personal thing. My Keltec PF9 is not as comfortable to shoot as Walther PPS. Yet put a rubber grip sleeve on it and much nicer to shoot. Remember these are not range guns and so do not preform as such. You put a 9mm in packages this small and you are going to feel it more than in a full size pistol. I have not shot a cw9 or cm9 but I used to have a Kahr PM45 and shooting .45acp in that small package was totally manageable. Just too heavy to carry, Kahr makes some good guns, but I still think that Walters are better made.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Shield or xds 9 in a jm custom kydex aiwb or aiwb tuckable. I love my aiwb with the extra tuck option. I like dale fricke's archangel too. Nuts to pocket carry, your sidearm deserves a rigid holster to cover that trigger.

If I pocket carry I'll definitely get a pocket holster. Wouldn't carry without something covering the trigger, nobody prints more than someone who's shot themselves in the leg. ha

Oh, and j frames, 642/442 smith airweight.

The 642 didn't seem to get the best review in The Great Snubbie Shoot Off thread. Is the only difference between the 642 & 442 finish?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013

Just read your PM. Thank you! My friend at work, who showed me INGO, actually carries a PM9 and has talked about selling it so I've kind of singled that one out over the CM9. Money isn't the biggest issue as I'm sure I'll get my value out of whatever carry decide on. I honestly love the feel of a CW9 but don't know if the added size would make concealing it that much more difficult. I was just at Indy Trading Post the other day, when I get the ability to PM back I'd love to take you up on your offer to try the CW9. I'm sure my friend wouldn't turn down the chance to head to the range with me so I could compare the two.

Thanks again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Snappy, felt recoil is a personal thing. My Keltec PF9 is not as comfortable to shoot as Walther PPS. Yet put a rubber grip sleeve on it and much nicer to shoot. Remember these are not range guns and so do not preform as such. You put a 9mm in packages this small and you are going to feel it more than in a full size pistol. I have not shot a cw9 or cm9 but I used to have a Kahr PM45 and shooting .45acp in that small package was totally manageable. Just too heavy to carry, Kahr makes some good guns, but I still think that Walters are better made.

Totally agree these would be poor range guns however I'm looking for something manageable I can really practice at. It's very important to me that if I carry I feel very confident in my ability to effectively use the gun if I ever had to. I'd hate to leave the range each time feeling like I'm sure the participants of The Great Snubbie Shoot Off felt haha.

I still would like to shoot the G26 but think it will ultimately be too thick for what I'm looking for. The colt is out and I'm leaning away from the LC9 but based off this thread, I'm definitely considering the PPS as well. I picked up one at the last 1500 and really liked the trigger on it. I also remember the mag release was a little odd, might take some getting used to.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I started out carrying IWB years ago with a Sig P230. When clothes styles got slimmer I went to pocket carrying a TCP. Shot that until it fell apart. Then went with a Kahr P380. Which was the smallest at the time. Never really could hit anything with the Kahr past 7 yards but I quess that's what it's designed for. Bought a Sig P938 a few months ago to carry IWB. That thing shoots excellent. Had a kydex pocket carry holster made at the 1500. I'm 5'9" 170 lbs and do not like baggy clothes. I can pocket carry the 938 easily. Thinking about getting rid of the Kahr. I also don't have a problem IWB carrying a CZ 75 Compact with winter apparel. Holster and belt makes all the difference.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Sig P290RS yet. I just got one recently, and it is very similar in size to my CM9, but the grip feels so much better (and even more so w/ the 8 round vs the 6 round mag). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I haven't carried it yet either, but I got a great deal on it from Bud's ($412 shipped for the 2 tone version w/ night sights and laser). Hoping to get to a range this weekend to break it in.

I pocket carry the CM9 currently in a DeSantis nemesis, and it works fine for me as long as I'm not wearing super-tight pants (5'10"/ 250ish). I have no complaints about the carry, but the tiny grip does make recoil a bit snappy for me.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The colt is out and I'm leaning away from the LC9 but based off this thread, I'm definitely considering the PPS as well. I picked up one at the last 1500 and really liked the trigger on it. I also remember the mag release was a little odd, might take some getting used to.

I actually prefer that type of mag release. I have 3 walthers all with that type of mag release, I took right to it. It does not take long to adapt.
    I don't know where you are located but next week I am meeting another INGOer at Indy Trading Post so they can shoot the PPQ. I will also bring a PPS and P99c. If you are interested PM me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    I actually prefer that type of mag release. I have 3 walthers all with that type of mag release, I took right to it. It does not take long to adapt.
    I don't know where you are located but next week I am meeting another INGOer at Indy Trading Post so they can shoot the PPQ. I will also bring a PPS and P99c. If you are interested PM me.

Thank you! I'd love to PM you but I haven't quite reached the point where I can do that yet. :dunno:

I am very interested though, if you want to PM me your info, I could let you know what my schedule looks like next week.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Thank you! I'd love to PM you but I haven't quite reached the point where I can do that yet. :dunno:

I am very interested though, if you want to PM me your info, I could let you know what my schedule looks like next week.

Sent you a PM with my contact info.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Hi INGO,
    I'm purchasing my first carry gun and by default, I'm concerned about printing. I'm a thin guy, and usually expected to dress business casual (ie. always a tucked in shirt), so I've decided to go with something pocket to subcompact. I'm told I'll eventually quit worrying about this when I realize the people who actually identify printing are generally carrying themselves and I'll want to switch to something bigger. So I figure I'll end up carrying something for a while but then passing it off to my fiance in pursuit of a larger carry. I've done some research but trust actual owners testimonials over YouTube videos and manufacturer websites. I'd like to share my thoughts on a few guns and see what you all think.

I'm interested in carrying a 9mm preferably with factory night sights so I've been looking into:

Kahr PM9 - I like the single stack feel and the light, striker trigger. I've always been partial to bi-tone guns and feel like this is probably the smallest (high quality?) 9mm I could purchase.

Ruger LC9 - I've heard this gun is very reliable and much cheaper than the Kahr PM9 but I've only held it at the last 1500 and don't remember being that impressed.

Kimber Solo - I really like having two kidneys but would maybe sell the less cool one to buy one of these. The rosewood on two-tone couldn't look sexier. I love the look, the feel, the size, and nearly everything else about this gun but the price tag.

Colt Pocket 9 - My first handgun was a Colt 1903 so I have a special place in my heart for Colts. I really like the feel of the Mustang but prefer 9mm to .380

Glock 26 - I admit I know very little about Glocks. They have the sexy, sleek, streamlined profile of a Lego brick but I've heard they are very reliable and people LOVE them.

Renting guns every weekend can be expensive so I'm really looking to get some advice, trim down my list to maybe 3 guns, and go test these out before I make a purchase. If I've overlooked a really good candidate please chime in and I'll add that to my gun fondling list for my next trip to the store.

Thanks everyone,
    ThisIsMyBOOMStick
    Resident Noob

Buy more than one if you are not going to ware a sport coat. I carried for years in my pocket, but moved to a midsize gun when multiple attackers became popular. Here is my vote for you, S&W 642 pocket 38. great gun
    and Glock 26 this is not a pocket gun IMO however it is a tuckable auto.

Here is my theory. Use the pocket 38 untill you get use to having a gun all the time. After some time you will forget about the printing, then move to a tuckable rig and use the G26. Listen with all the cell phones and everything else people carry these days no one will notice or be looking for a gun.

Tuckable rigs/guns take some practice with both dressing and getting to the gun.

Nice thing about a 38 is it is very quick, and easy to hold. Plus if your attacker gets close it will not go out of battery

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    ... Plus if your attacker gets close it will not go out of battery

That's true, but if you're that close they can stop a revolver from firing by grabbing the cylinder to stop it turning. I know it sounds impossible, and it is certainly a low-percentage try, but I've done it several times in training disarms. So I'd say the two issues cancel each other out.

OTOH, a revolver is more likely to successfully fire more than once from inside a pocket.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Sig P290RS yet. I just got one recently, and it is very similar in size to my CM9, but the grip feels so much better (and even more so w/ the 8 round vs the 6 round mag). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I haven't carried it yet either, but I got a great deal on it from Bud's ($412 shipped for the 2 tone version w/ night sights and laser). Hoping to get to a range this weekend to break it in.

I pocket carry the CM9 currently in a DeSantis nemesis, and it works fine for me as long as I'm not wearing super-tight pants (5'10"/ 250ish). I have no complaints about the carry, but the tiny grip does make recoil a bit snappy for me.

Do you have the Talon grips on your CM9? If not, I highly recommend them. You will enjoy shooting the CM9 a lot more.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    That's true, but if you're that close they can stop a revolver from firing by grabbing the cylinder to stop it turning. I know it sounds impossible, and it is certainly a low-percentage try, but I've done it several times in training disarms. So I'd say the two issues cancel each other out.

OTOH, a revolver is more likely to successfully fire more than once from inside a pocket.

My 442 found its way home with me for exactly this reason. Colder weather that warrants a jacket means a larger handgun in the waistband will be covered by an extra layer. I keep a 442 in my coat pocket to give a bit more of an opening to get to my full size. That, and in this situation you can have a hand on a gun in those situations that make you leery without alerting anyone to the fact that you have them covered.

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I love my colts but I think you are right about the mustang. I have the .380 and seldom carry it. I transferred it over to my mom and dad for home protection when they moved to california and had gang symbols painted on their stone wall. I have recently gotten it back form them. My biggest problem with it though is that I am too used to my .45s. No matter how many rounds I put through it and it has been thousands, I just don't get the accuracy I would like from it. it really feels small to me and I would only use it as an really inclose weapon for home defense.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've seen those on a few YouTube reviews. Doesn't that stuff tear up your hand at the range? It looks just like skateboard grip tape.

Talon has both the "granulate" material which is what you describe (almost like sandpaper) and a rubber material which is what I use. I have the rubber Talon on my XD9sc and really like it. My every day carry is a PM9 with a small Hogue slip on grip trimmed to fit. It makes shooting the PM9 much nicer for me than without. I front pocket carry every day in jeans and Dockers. Do I print? I guess it depends on how you define that. You can tell there is a "chunk" in my pocket, but I think only someone who knows what pocket carry looks like and is looking for it would know. In five years no one has ever said anything.
    I carry the PM9 in this leather holster.

Top Bottom