• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Would anyone be willing to give an assessment of the Glock mod. 22 in 40 S&W. I would like especially to hear about reliability, investment potential, or any negative aspects you may be aware of. And thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Would anyone be willing to give an assessment of the Glock mod. 22 in 40 S&W. I would like especially to hear about reliability, investment potential, or any negative aspects you may be aware of. And thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Other than the hate you'll get from the 1911 crowd...

Full disclosure, not a .40 S&W guy. Have a G19 and EDC is a G26 (both Gen 3). G22 is the same frame as the G17 (9mm) full-size with 4.5" barrel.

Even @churchmouse who really hates Glocks will admit, they are reliable.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Other than the hate you'll get from the 1911 crowd...

Full disclosure, not a .40 S&W guy. Have a G19 and EDC is a G26 (both Gen 3). G22 is the same frame as the G17 (9mm) full-size with 4.5" barrel.

Even @churchmouse who really hates Glocks will admit, they are reliable.
    Ya, I expect that. But a sincere unbiased opinion is what I’m hoping for. I also have issues with both the cal. and non American firearms. I’m looking toward the future, and hoping for information that tips my scale one way or the other. Thanks for your answer by the way.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A glock is not an investment. It's a tool.

Think of it like a power drill. You don't buy a drill because you think it will hold, or go up in value. You buy it because you will get enough good out of it to justify the price.

This just happens to be a drill that will never go bad, and need replaced
    This^^^

It is a tool, learn it, use it. Don't worry about it getting scuffed up, if it's getting used it will look like it's been used.

Reliability- Changing things on it has the potential to reduce the reliability.
    Change the sights to a set of durable steel sights of your liking, and put a minus connector in it and call it a day.

Negatives- Some people cannot get comfortable with the grip. If you're not comfortable with the grip move on to a platform that you are. To many quality pistols to get hung up on one you don't use well.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Typically a 40 won’t bring as much money as a 9, and they are a harder sell. But you can work that to your advantage to buy it cheaper that way. If you don’t shoot 1000s of rounds per year the 40 is great in a full size gun like the G22 although yes it does cost a bit more to feed than 9. You do get a slightly better performing round than 9,

The big advantage that the G22 brings is that with a barrel / mag swap you can shoot 9mm, 40, and 357 Sig.

Reliability is great in 40 with proper mags. Reliability can sometimes get spotty when converting to 9 if the ejector / recoil spring combination isn’t quite right.

I have one and I really like it. I converted it to 9 and shortened the grip to G19 length. Reliability since changing the recoil spring has been 100%

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Glocks are great pistols, overall. There’s a reason why the Glock 19 is the standard by which others are judged. They’re simple, reliable, and easy to work on.

That being said, while I carry a Glock almost daily, they’re far from being the only option out there. Lots of other handguns (both hammer and striker fired) will get the job done just as well and with just as much reliability as a Glock, and will often do it while looking and feeling a lot better.

Visit your LGS and find a quality option that works for you. If that happens to be a Glock, great! It’ll serve you well for decades to come!

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A glock is not an investment. It's a tool.

Think of it like a power drill. You don't buy a drill because you think it will hold, or go up in value. You buy it because you will get enough good out of it to justify the price.

This just happens to be a drill that will never go bad, and need replaced
    Been to too many estate sales with the little old widow sitting in the front row with a pencil and paper, watching her husband’s lifetime accumulation go under the hammer to feel that way. But I do thank you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ya, I expect that. But a sincere unbiased opinion is what I’m hoping for. I also have issues with both the cal. and non American firearms. I’m looking toward the future, and hoping for information that tips my scale one way or the other. Thanks for your answer by the way.

A .40 is the last caliber I'd buy in today's world. Couple years ago the market was flooded with police department trade ins and people offloading .40's left and right. The popularity of that caliber is dying off, which means the supply, variety, and availability of the ammo will drop off with time. If you're buying a gun knowing you'll never shoot more than 500 rounds through it then you'd probably be fine. If this is going to to get used in training classes or actually practiced with using live ammo then just stay away from .40. Nothing wrong with the caliber on any level of performance, it's a matter of logistics that makes me wonder a guy would want the headaches. For example, how hard is it to get spare parts for a comparable glock 9mm vs the .40? Today it's one situation, in three years it may be a completely different situation.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Been to too many estate sales with the little old widow sitting in the front row with a pencil and paper, watching her husband’s lifetime accumulation go under the hammer to feel that way. But I do thank you.
    That doesn't change the fact that it's not an investment.

An investment is something you purchase with the hopes that the value will increase. That is not a Glock. If you don't overpay now, then the chances of recovering your money is pretty good, but not more money. IMO the .40 is the caliber least likely to retain it's value, If I wanted a .40 it would be from the used market.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    A .40 cal glock can be converted to a .357 sig with just a bbl swap. Converted to a 9mm with just a bbl swap and 9mm mags. That's it. Investment? I would say no. New glock blue labels are what 425 now? If you're into competing shooting there's the GSSF.
    I am near Shelbyville IN if you want to try a .40

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    if the price is right get it. I'm impressed nobody has asked by what criteria you landed on that particular model as opposed to any other semi auto, which leads me to think you might have your eye on one already. If you get it at the right price I think you'll always be able to sell it for the same price if you don't like it. As stated above, 9 is cheaper to feed but not by much and i don't think .40 will become unavailable anytime soon. It won't break and it should be reliable for years to come but its not a collector or investment piece.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    A Glock in particular is not an investment. It's a tool, and designed to be used as such. If you're looking to get your money back out of it later with interest, you're looking in the wrong place, especially in .40.

That said, it's a great, reliable tool. If you're buying a gun to use as a gun was intended to be used, a Glock will serve you well.

One specific thing to note about the G22s, they did have some reliability issues when running them with weapon lights mounted. There was something about what mounting the light to the rail did to the way the frame flexed under recoil in relation to the pressure produced by the magazine spring, and the problem was exacerbated by bullet weight. I don't remember all the specific details, but it's something to be aware of. Here's a link to a release from streamlight with a few more details:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1mwd0OyHWlg1dtxMjPi4tz

There are also numerous forum posts out there discussing this issue in detail if you want to do a little research. If you're not planning to mount anything to the rail it shouldn't be a concern.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The only Glock I owned was a Glock 20sf. Very reliable. Glock is well known for reliability. That said they have had a few lemons here and there very seldom like any major manufacturer, but they will fix it if you let them.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    OK, for clarity I’ll spill the beans. In July 2016 when the wife and I saw billery get the dem. nod. We (not knowing what would happen) almost immediately headed to my favorite LGS to find our best option for hi-cap mag fed auto side arms. It was August, we found 3 identical new in box Mod.22 w/2 15 rnd. mags. At the same time we bought 1000 rounds of hi quality ball. We put them in the dark place with the bags of “do not eat” and that is where they have been since. Now 6 1/2 years later I’m wondering if now might be the time to trade up or across. Or small possibility hold. I follow the gun market fairly closely, the mod. 22 has been flat for quite a while. New has gained only 12 bucks since new, used has dropped. Don’t think I need another AR, but there could be other better options out there. Thanks to every single one of you for your frank answers.

Edit to say: Other than FTF with a friend I only use my LGS. Can’t beat his prices and I can trust him.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    OK, for clarity I’ll spill the beans. In July 2016 when the wife and I saw billery get the dem. nod. We (not knowing what would happen) almost immediately headed to my favorite LGS to find our best option for hi-cap mag fed auto side arms. It was August, we found 3 identical new in box Mod.22 w/2 15 rnd. mags. At the same time we bought 1000 rounds of hi quality ball. We put them in the dark place with the bags of “do not eat” and that is where they have been since. Now 6 1/2 years later I’m wondering if now might be the time to trade up or across. Or small possibility hold. I follow the gun market fairly closely, the mod. 22 has been flat for quite a while. New has gained only 12 bucks since new, used has dropped. Don’t think I need another AR, but there could be other better options out there. Thanks to every single one of you for your frank answers.

Edit to say: Other than FTF with a friend I only use my LGS. Can’t beat his prices and I can trust him.

Screenshot_20220616-180308_Brave.jpg

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    DadSmith, sharp piece. Since reading a post about the cz black and blue I’ve caught the fever and trying to find a cure, and a coarse of therapy. I’ll look into the AXE, thanks.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Factor in that there is a boat load of trade ins and the fact that there are 100 bazillion made, it will be a while before you see an increase worth much. There were some long slide versions made that have seen a significant increase, but those are oddballs in the Glock world.

I say hold on to it, unless you really need the money, or of you're wanting to switch platforms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Regardless amigo a G**** is not an investment. They are a "Tool".
    Oh, where have I heard that before.
    Reliable, ranks up top.
    Investment.....no sir. I doubt you will sell yours at an estate sale Amigo so that's no comparison. Look at ongoing sales even GB and they will not be the highly sought after pieces especially in 40.

Top Bottom