• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do think this law is a good thing? (multiple choice.)

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    By .fourfive
    with a higher percentage of guns being brought to work it is only reasonable to assume there would be an increase in work place shootings, or shootings to and from work.
    Really ? You think maybe people carry their guns to work now anyway (I think they do!) and possibly that when this law passes they will have less stress at work, do to, not having to worry about having a gun in their car and maybe getting caught with it at work. I think it is reasonable to assume there will be the same or less work place shootings. The percentage of people that would shoot people is the same. Those people will just go home get their gun and come back to shoot people anyway. This law will not change the way any given person will react when faced with anger or rage. People that would use deadly force to deal with their emotions will do it anyway.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think an employer should have the right to prohibit firearms in their workplace if they wish. I don't think we should be allowed to override their property rights any more than they should be able to override ours by trying to control what we can and can't have in our cars.

However, I do think the law should make clear that employers that choose to disarm citizens are liable for any victims of violent crime in their workplace, since by doing so the employer has chosen to assume responsibility for their safety.

I agree with the first paragraph. Not so much the second paragraph.

I don't believe that the employer should be held responsible for injuries resulting from a violent crime to their worker(s). Those employees have a choice to work at a place that does not allow them to carry a firearm. If they are willing to comply with this, then they should not be compensated by the company that they work for.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    while i do support this law it doesnt really affect me too much, all of the jobs that i have had always had a no weapons policy, but that never stopped me from having my handgun with me to and from work and secured in my vehicle while at work. but i do think this law passing is a step in the right direction, so for that :rockwoot:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well since I no longer work there this should not come back to bite me.I carried daily for 6 years against company policy at Eli Lillys.A very few of my coworkers actually noticed I carried.Only one time ever was anything said,and that comment was "Glad someone in this place has some common sense."Yes I could have lost my job at any point.Yes it would have caused a great hardship in my life at the time(if I had been fired).And Yes I think it is my responsibility to care for my own safety.I know a few others that carry against company policy still,and respect them for it.Right in front of the Lilly building in down town Indy(where I worked)there was a rape in the parking lot.Roving security,patrol cars regularly parked all over the property,and cameras everywhere...how did it happen? Because someone thought they where safe and crossed paths with someone who took advantage of that.Taking responsibly for your own safety and falling into an illusion that you are safe is the only difference between those who choose to carry and those who do not.If you accept that you are safe,and there will always be someone there to protect you...then you are already a victim.I choose to be responsible for my own safety. :twocents:

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Kudos to you smokingman!
    I've never had the guts to do that ... always kept my pistol in the truck.

To address the 'employment at will' concept others have brought up, it seems this law creates an exception to that rule.
    If you were specifically fired for having a weapon in your car, you could sue for wrongful termination and stand a good chance of winning in civil court.
    Might get your job restored, might get a fat settlement check.

Dismissal without direct cause (obvious breach of company policy, violation of the law, or a history of write-ups) will qualify you to collect workman's comp / unemployment from your employer.
    If they dismiss you for 'wearing a blue shirt on thursday' or any equivalent nonsense, you can stick it to them by collecting unemployment at your leisure.

Additionally, I've observed a lot of people commenting that firearms will constantly be left hidden in cars.
    Why don't people find a way to actually secure their firearm in their vehicle?
    I bought a $30.00 pistol safe and bolted down inside my truck. It's going to take more than a crowbar to get that sucker off.
    Simple solution to that problem.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Of course, I'm very much in favor of this law. It helps reaffirm your right to carry on your own property since the law already defines your car as an extension of your home. I don't remember which section, but I'll have to look it up sometime.

With that being said though, I also think there are very few that would safely get out of an ongoing active shooter situation, get to their car, get their gun, and then go back inside. I'm not saying it wouldn't or couldn't happen just that I see that as unlikely.

Plus if you add to that the shoting would probably be over by the time you got back in.......:dunno:.

It really depends where you work. This would be good for in-state truckers, delivery drivers, etc. who drive their own vehicles. ;) Except for those businesses they excluded I guess.

I dont like the poll choices either... i think its a step in the right direction, not a perfect law, but maybe in a few years we can pass another one allowing the gun into the work place.... baby steps here guys, baby steps.

:+1: Sorry, I ran out of rep.

I really believe the law is unnecessary. The 2nd amendment gives us the right to Keep and Bear Arms. Keep as in own, possess. Bear as in carry. IE: I bear the weight of my actions and decisions, My wife is no longer in her child Bearing years. It doesn't specify that I can only Bear Arms where you or anyone else decides that I might. It states that it is my right to BEAR arms. So, why do I need a law saying I can carry it in my car at work? For that matter, why do I need a permit or license to exercise my right? Maybe because we let them get by with it?

While it may be unnecessary, the current misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment by government and business alike have made it necessary. While I do agree that the 2A is all we should need, in today's society, that's just not the case. We have to fight to win our rights back, however sad that may be.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Carrying at my workplace is worthless as is leaving the firearm in my vehicle. After 30 years I haven't been able to save a single customer yet.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I agree with the first paragraph. Not so much the second paragraph.

I don't believe that the employer should be held responsible for injuries resulting from a violent crime to their worker(s). Those employees have a choice to work at a place that does not allow them to carry a firearm. If they are willing to comply with this, then they should not be compensated by the company that they work for.

when there is reason to believe that armed robbery is probable and the company does nothing to increase security, I believe they should be held liable. for example, in the town i work in, 3 out of 4 locations were robbed with knives and firearms within about a 1 month period. i asked my boss about carrying anything- mace, taser, etc- and was told absolutely not. i asked him what was being done to ensure my security. he trailed off and nothing was actually done or changed.

luckily i havent been robbed *knocks on wood*, but if someone shot me at work, you can bet the farm my family will get a payday.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    My girlfriend works in a stand alone federal building. Obviously, she can't carry into work. But, being that she works in a relatively rough area, and then afterwards, goes to an even worse area for school at night, she always keeps a pistol in her vehicle under the seat. It's just being smart. Women are usually a primary target for criminals. She feels safer, and I feel better knowing that she is able to defend herself.

Top Bottom