• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Were you running a CTR as your buttstock?

One trick I've seen that works well if you have a CTR or CTR like stock is attaching the sling to the outside of the stock. So if you're right handed the stock attaches to the QD Attachment point on the right side of the rifle (side with the ejection port).

This makes it easier while choking you less

I learned a similar lesson at another carbine class. It works very well using that method and makes those transitions much easier IMHO.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, you did make some odd noises the last time you hefted your monolithic boat anchor . . .

Wow Chuck, I think this would be the second class where your carbine's weight made headlines. I'll have to check it out next time we're shooting. :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow Chuck, I think this would be the second class where your carbine's weight made headlines. I'll have to check it out next time we're shooting. :D

We originally thought he was able to get so low behind cover because he is young and flexible. Then we realized it was just the weight of his rifle crushing him against the ground.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I thought it was the size that mattered? :dunno:

We originally thought he was able to get so low behind cover because he is young and flexible. Then we realized it was just the weight of his rifle crushing him against the ground.

:lmfao:

True Story!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Seriously, though ... while Chuck's rifle may have been a little heavy for carrying for two days, he handles it really, really well when he's shooting. He can get off a couple of accurate snap shots from his ready position very quickly. Impressive!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Day 2, ahhh, now this was awesome! Loads of fun, lots of moving and shooting, and transitions, and mag swaps, and pistol shooting, and "oh $$$$" moments when you should be moving and didnt or when you should be transitioning and didn't. Moving and shooting was a lot more fun, but also very useful. Bringing everything together at the end with the box drill and figure 8 drill just capped off the day.

In the end, I loved the entire weekend. I now know some things I need to work on (lots of things), and have some drills and different things I can practice. I had nothing before this weekend.

BUT most importantly to me, is I came in the only guy shooting an AK and not sure if it would work the way I wanted. After this weekend I have no plans to change. I figured out my equipment and what I need to do for it to work, and got some ideas on where I need to make improvements in my equipment to make it better. That alone was worth the price of admission!

Thanks to all the ACT guys for making the class fun and informative, and like Doug said, thanks to all of my 'classmates' for making this a safe weekend!!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh and the one thing I keep thinking about is how much brass we left at the range.

If you take my numbers as averages (then keep me out of it since I shot steel cased russian surplus), 250 rounds @ 6 people on Friday = 1500 rounds, and 5 people @ 450 each on Sunday = 2250. For a total of almost 4000 rounds (throwing in some extra for Burl), most of which is still on the ground!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm glad you shot your AK ... you handle it very well, sir. I've been toying with getting a Commie gun to launch 5.45x39mm, but now I might just take the plunge.

Was any of your brass reloadable?

Day 2, ahhh, now this was awesome! Loads of fun, lots of moving and shooting, and transitions, and mag swaps, and pistol shooting, and "oh $$$$" moments when you should be moving and didnt or when you should be transitioning and didn't. Moving and shooting was a lot more fun, but also very useful. Bringing everything together at the end with the box drill and figure 8 drill just capped off the day.

In the end, I loved the entire weekend. I now know some things I need to work on (lots of things), and have some drills and different things I can practice. I had nothing before this weekend.

BUT most importantly to me, is I came in the only guy shooting an AK and not sure if it would work the way I wanted. After this weekend I have no plans to change. I figured out my equipment and what I need to do for it to work, and got some ideas on where I need to make improvements in my equipment to make it better. That alone was worth the price of admission!

Thanks to all the ACT guys for making the class fun and informative, and like Doug said, thanks to all of my 'classmates' for making this a safe weekend!!

oh and the one thing I keep thinking about is how much brass we left at the range.

If you take my numbers as averages (then keep me out of it since I shot steel cased russian surplus), 250 rounds @ 6 people on Friday = 1500 rounds, and 5 people @ 450 each on Sunday = 2250. For a total of almost 4000 rounds (throwing in some extra for Burl), most of which is still on the ground!

hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Well Clay - you seemed to be adding quite a few :draw: i was impressed with how you handled the AK - it rean well and you were very accurate with it.. it was great fun to be with you and the rest of the group

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Indeed!

Methinks a red dot on an AK makes a huge difference over the standard iron sights too. I'm ambivalent about putting a dot on my AK because then I just wouldn't feel like it was still an AK. Of course, if it were my primary weapon, I'd definitely have a red dot and some other ergonomic enhancements.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Was any of your brass reloadable?

nope, unfortunatley I dont think anyone makes brass cased 5.45x39. Everything I shot over the weekend was steel cased real commie russian surplus. :) Its corrosive as well, so each night I took a hose to my rifle and soaked it in CLP. :)

Golden Tiger and Silver Bear (and even Hornady) make some as well, non-corrosive, but still steel cased.

OH, and I last night I did make some dummy rounds of 5.45x39. I pulled bullets on 3 rounds, emptied the powder, shot off the primers, drilled an 3/64" hole in the case, and reseated the bullet to proper length. I used silver bear since the primers aren't corrosive and the cases are silver (instead of that green/lacquered color of the surplus). The feed great.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Indeed!

Methinks a red dot on an AK makes a huge difference over the standard iron sights too. I'm ambivalent about putting a dot on my AK because then I just wouldn't feel like it was still an AK. Of course, if it were my primary weapon, I'd definitely have a red dot and some other ergonomic enhancements.

I was a pretty big 'anti-RDS' kind of AK guy, and most of my other AKs will never have a RDS, but after putting one on this rifle, I must say Im a big fan! Though I did try to keep it simple. My rifle had the Ultimak/Primary Arms micro dot, VACS/blue force sling, and the US Palm/Tango Down grip, and thats it. Everything else was factory AK.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    OH, and I last night I did make some dummy rounds of 5.45x39. I pulled bullets on 3 rounds, emptied the powder, shot off the primers, drilled an 3/64" hole in the case, and reseated the bullet to proper length. I used silver bear since the primers aren't corrosive and the cases are silver (instead of that green/lacquered color of the surplus). The feed great.

Excellent! Can you make a couple for us too?

I was a pretty big 'anti-RDS' kind of AK guy, and most of my other AKs will never have a RDS, but after putting one on this rifle, I must say Im a big fan! Though I did try to keep it simple. My rifle had the Ultimak/Primary Arms micro dot, VACS/blue force sling, and the US Palm/Tango Down grip, and thats it. Everything else was factory AK.

I can't see the sights on an AK anymore. It's not that I can't see them well or quickly, but I can't see the rear at all, so I have no idea if the front sight post is in the notch. If and when I ever decide to use mine more, I will get better iron sights and a red dot. And a better safety lever and left side charging handle. And that's about it.

After seeing Clay run his AK I intend on adding one to my safe. His worked well.

Good!

Top Bottom