• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    darn... i was thinking about getting it.... oh well. maybe next year they will have it fixed. Who knows... maybe this acr will be a collectors item like the original m16a1.... lol

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I am liking the AR15 modular platform more than ever, since there are piston uppers being developed and produced. I am a piston fan.

It took many years, but the AR platform continues to improve with updates and improvements.

The only challenges I ever had for the AR15, was the gas operation and caliber available at the time.

That is not a stumbling block for me personally, anymore.

Stag and CMMG as examples, are selling some nice piston rifles for around $1000. I found them both, close to this price on Gunbroker today.

The new generation rifles (scar, masada, acr) do address the capability to operate with different calibers in one rifle and are not direct impingement.

There are many different caliber uppers available for the AR now.

As stated before, the ACR and SCAR are developed with current parts and technology. Just redesigned with a clever new modern plastic look.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool looking, but I like the main body of my rifle to be metal. Plastic or synthetic shoulder stocks (magpul ctr for me) are ok.

A lot of the new rifles are packaged with the premise of projecting the illusion of a totally new concept and technology, that demands double or triple the price. Shame on them.

I applaud and admire the firearms companies that keep it real and the prices reasonable.

I will project my power as a consumer for now, by purchasing the cheaper and better deal for me.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Don't get me wrong, they are cool looking, but I like the main body of my rifle to be metal.

The "main body" - i.e. the upper receiver which contains the bolt and barrel - of both the SCAR and ACR is metal. It is only the lower receiver (container for the fire control parts and magazine) that is polymer.

Do you not like polymer framed handguns, either? Serious question, not trying to be snarky.

ETA - PO'ed fanboys are having a field day with the MSRP thing, and rightly so. First came the acronym "Astronomical Cash Required", then this:
    ctdacr.jpg

Last edited:

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Sure, I like plastic advances in firearms. Just, not at those prices and obvious greed.

For now, I will take the cheaper metal rifle alternative, please. I can wait for a few reasons.

For now, I am not totally sold on the lower receiver being plastic or synthetic. Time will tell with military use. I hope it is successful for many reasons.

I know Cavalry Arms and the Armalite AR180B uses synthetics in this area, and have been doing so for some time. I have no personal experience with these brands.

I have heard pros and cons.

As for the polymer handguns, the prices are on par with the metal guns, and sometimes cheaper. Rifles and handguns are 2 different types of firearm physics.

I have owned polymer since, the Glock 19. I have owned and been satisfied with polymer performance in some handguns, over the years.

Sorry, I can see no reason or advantage to justify the current prices for the ACR.

No offense taken, from the being snarky thingy. LOL

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In related news, it looks like Remington has adapted some of its ACR features (namely the modular railed forearm and mid-length gas piston system) into the "RGP" (Remington Gas Piston) upper for the AR:

rgp.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I saw an manufacturer who was producing a lower that was two pieces. The magwell was interchangeable between 223, 7.62, 9mm, yada, yada, yada. I think they even had an upper that you could change out the barrels for different calibers. These people were set up at Knob Creek 2-3 years ago. Sure looks like a neat setup but by the time you set it up for 3 different calibers, you could easily have $3k in it. You can build a pretty nice dedicated AR in each caliber for $1k. Then you can have 3 rifles in 3 sets of hands going bang all at the same time in a shtf scenario. What good does the $2k worth of stuff in other calibers do if you only have 1 fire control group to push it?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I saw an manufacturer who was producing a lower that was two pieces. The magwell was interchangeable between 223, 7.62, 9mm, yada, yada, yada. I think they even had an upper that you could change out the barrels for different calibers.

MGI Hydra. Member akaindy had several of the modular lowers for sale awhile back; I got to look them over pretty closely. The execution left a bit to be desired, but it's a very cool concept.

MGI%20Lower.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    MGI Hydra. Member akaindy had several of the modular lowers for sale awhile back; I got to look them over pretty closely. The execution left a bit to be desired, but it's a very cool concept.

MGI%20Lower.jpg

That's it. Didn't they make a modular upper as well? I'm pretty sure they had an upper at the same booth at the Creek. I think it's a neat idea but if you buy a TV with a built in DVD player, you don't expect to pay more than if you bought them in 2 separate pieces.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That's it. Didn't they make a modular upper as well?

Yeah, their "QCB" upper has a quick-change barrel feature. I ran across a pic on one of the forums the other day where a guy had an MGI lower with 3 magwells, a QCB upper with several barrels and bolts, and could shoot like 7 different calibers out of that system. I shudder to think how much he had wrapped up in that when it was all said and done... :spend:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Why would they use the 1:9 instead of the 1:7?

Ostensibly, it's to take advantage of available commercial ammunition in the 45-62gr weights, but that doesn't hold water since 1x7 stabilizes 55-62gr stuff just fine, and also allows you to shoot bullets of 69-77gr that are becoming all the rage.

Personally, I think it's because BM has some kind of hardon for 1x9 barrels. :dunno:

I also noted that they opted to forego a chrome-lined barrel and instead are using some kind of "revolutionary" coating. :rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ostensibly, it's to take advantage of available commercial ammunition in the 45-62gr weights, but that doesn't hold water since 1x7 stabilizes 55-62gr stuff just fine, and also allows you to shoot bullets of 69-77gr that are becoming all the rage.

Personally, I think it's because BM has some kind of hardon for 1x9 barrels. :dunno:

I also noted that they opted to forego a chrome-lined barrel and instead are using some kind of "revolutionary" coating. :rolleyes:

Aren't 77 grainers the new 9mm +P's?:wrongdoor:

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    That is by far the funniest video I've seen in a long time. It made me the random laughing guy at work while everyone else is quietly doing something

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    'I feel like kicking a baby!'

'shrubmaster'
    'might as well been made by H&K'
    'monkey in suits'
    '...a gun company that sounds like it should be selling rhodedendrons'

Top Bottom