• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    1. I learned I would like to add a pistol mounted light to my EDC, but I don’t NEED to since I carry a handheld light.

2. Shooting one-handed, on the move is hard... more so in the dark while trying to coordinate a light in your off hand.

3. I can’t think of a scenario where night sights are really necessary, but I will still have them on my carry guns anyway.

4. A triangle is also called a “delta”.

As always, ACT classes are equal parts informative and fun.

Zee
    Cee
    Gee

All sound the same with plugs/muffs

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    My carry gun ran flawlessly. It's been awhile since that has been tested.
    Strong hand only on the move sucks in the day time, it really sucks in the dark while trying to manage a light. I never practice this.
    I'm going to be adding a lot of movement to what little dryfire in do. The carry set up is going to change soon. Not because of this class but because of my eyesight . Im considering a gun mounted light.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    WML are great for the house. Caution must be applied on the street. Once the decision to shoot has been made then the WML is second to none.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I learned I have to change my flashlight hold again. The hold that always let me see my sights before...didn't. I've seen that happen with others before, and now it got me.

I also learned that very few people need night shooting training. I know this because I only see a few new faces in this class each year. I guess other people get night/low light training all the time.
    For the rest of us, ACT offers this class the same time each year for a very reasonable price, so there isn't much reason to not get there at least once.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Oh yes, we were treated to the bonus of a three-hour fire starting demo.
    Therefore, I learned to continue my habit of always carrying a lighter even though I've never smoked.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. I learned I would like to add a pistol mounted light to my EDC, but I don’t NEED to since I carry a handheld light.

2. Shooting one-handed, on the move is hard... more so in the dark while trying to coordinate a light in your off hand.

3. I can’t think of a scenario where night sights are really necessary, but I will still have them on my carry guns anyway.

4. A triangle is also called a “delta”.

As always, ACT classes are equal parts informative and fun.

Necessary? Probably never if you always have a light. The better solution for certain circumstances? Yes.

We didn't really have it last night, but there are lighting conditions (both natural and artificial) where you can see well enough to clearly identify faces, but it's next to impossible to see non-illuminated sights. Some phases of the moon will do it and I've seen it in a variety of parking lots, especially indoors with fluorescent lighting. That kind of diffuse light allows you to see people well enough, but not your sights. If you can identify a threat without a light and you can see your sights because hey are luminous, then you can do your shooting with both hands, which is almost always preferred.

Oh yes, we were treated to the bonus of a three-hour fire starting demo.
    Therefore, I learned to continue my habit of always carrying a lighter even though I've never smoked.

One stick fires are hard to do and I'm still learning!

I had a lighter (and reliable tinder), but that would have defeated my purpose.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I also learned that very few people need night shooting training. I know this because I only see a few new faces in this class each year. I guess other people get night/low light training all the time.
    For the rest of us, ACT offers this class the same time each year for a very reasonable price, so there isn't much reason to not get there at least once.

:) It's great to see and train with old friends. :yesway:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would like to compliment the instructors and the students. Most of what I have read here I wholeheartedly agree with (not that I am the final arbiter of all things low light), and it looks like good things were learned. It is always interesting to me when we have our annual low light 2 gun match how few of the competitors have a clue how to use their lights properly. Many find they don't work at all as they thought they would. Believe it or not, you tube is not always the same as real life.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've said this many times in the past, but it's worth repeating (sorry, Coach!):

• If you carry gun, you need to carry a handheld light.
    • If you carry a gun, and you have a weapon-mounted light, you need to carry a handheld light.
    • If you don't carry a gun, you need to carry a handheld light.

Summary:
    always carry a handheld light.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would like to compliment the instructors and the students. Most of what I have read here I wholeheartedly agree with (not that I am the final arbiter of all things low light), and it looks like good things were learned. It is always interesting to me when we have our annual low light 2 gun match how few of the competitors have a clue how to use their lights properly. Many find they don't work at all as they thought they would. Believe it or not, you tube is not always the same as real life.

And this low-light match is held where? And when?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    And this low-light match is held where? And when?

At our local club (Watervliet Rod and Gun Club). We shoot a twice a month Tuesday evening 2 gun match. Usually 4 low round count scenario based stages. The last couple matches of the season tend to be low light.

Edited to add, due to our limited number of bays, it is a members only match.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I've said this many times in the past, but it's worth repeating (sorry, Coach!):

• If you carry gun, you need to carry a handheld light.
    • If you carry a gun, and you have a weapon-mounted light, you need to carry a handheld light.
    • If you don't carry a gun, you need to carry a handheld light.

Summary:
    always carry a handheld light.
    Amen.

ColdSteel223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Very good class!! In addition to learning (new) concepts and practicing them under skilled supervision, you get to opportunity to test/try out your gear.

I had a Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro (green laser & 100 lumen light) fail. The unit has been on the gun for a couple of years, probably less than 3000 rounds. The CT website says a three year warranty, I will make contact with them and see what happens.

Without this class I might have found out I was having a problem at a really bad time.

Use your gear and practice what you suck at. The object is to suck less than the bad guy. That is how you win.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did everyone remember to change their batteries and clean the lenses of their weapon-mounted lights and lasers? I'm well known for not cleaning guns (keep adding lube!), but cleaning the lens on your light as soon as possible will save you a headache later. It's surprising how much crap will accumulate with just a little shooting. It can make you think you need to change your batteries when the real problem is that the light is being attenuated by the dirt on the lens.

I forgot to mention it, but some people put a little chapstick, car wax, oil, or vaseline on their lens after cleaning but before shooting to help make cleaning easier.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Did everyone remember to change their batteries and clean the lenses of their weapon-mounted lights and lasers? I'm well known for not cleaning guns (keep adding lube!), but cleaning the lens on your light as soon as possible will save you a headache later. It's surprising how much crap will accumulate with just a little shooting. It can make you think you need to change your batteries when the real problem is that the light is being attenuated by the dirt on the lens.

I forgot to mention it, but some people put a little chapstick, car wax, oil, or vaseline on their lens after cleaning but before shooting to help make cleaning easier.

Have you tried these or anything similar? https://thyrm.com/product/clens-protector/

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Have you tried these or anything similar? https://thyrm.com/product/clens-protector/

I have not, but I saw them for the first time in a magazine "gear review" last week. It's just like tear-offs for your goggles, but for the lens of your light. I like the idea! I'm curious if they will melt, though. They seem like an even better idea if you have a light with a polycarbonate lens instead of glass. Those won't break, but they scratch really easily (like goggles), so a little tear-off would also protect against that.

Astroglide

Hush, you! A water-based lubricant probably won't help that much.

Top Bottom