• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh BTW, I'm bringing two carbines. One is the SCAR, so those attending might want to bring plugs and muffs.

Heavy or Light?

Did you get a light mounted yet? If not, we can use duct tape.

I have a red dot on my 9mm carbine now. If I have a chance to zero it before Saturday night, I'm going to see what kind of holdovers I need at longer distances.

Speaking of which . . . I have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted between MBUS front and rear sights. It's too short, so it's on a 1/2 inch riser that is nit quite tall enough to cowitness. I can see the irons through it, but the tip of the front sight is almost at the top of the lens.

Does anyone have a 3/4 inch picatinny riser? I only need the short guy like you'd use under scope rings.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    17S. It says "boom".
    I plan on mostly using the AUG, though. The SCAR handles mostly like the ol' familiar AR, but the AUG is new territory for me.

I have a semi-solution on the light mount. The QD base from a Leupold Prismatic sight, a Weaver scope base, two screws and lock nuts, some JB Weld, a junk box Kwik-Site scope ring, and a Surefire 9P. Ta-da, a home made Thorntail for only two or three days of work.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    AWESOME!

Now, is it going to work when you're shooting from a rollover prone under a simulated car?
    Er...um...I guess we will see.
    If I'm getting down into ROP, the choice of carbine will not be the biggest factor on how successful it turns out.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm hoping to bring my very much lighter carbine than the one I brought to your other carbine classes

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Great. I had a back blowout yesterday, was better this morning, then it went pop again today. I'll be in great form if I make it. Maybe I'll get a shooting stick to lean on.

So Rhino, I was just looking at the Appleseed section. Will you be wearing shorts Sat night? I don't think I've seen you in anything else. What are we looking at? Mid 20s?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Emailed you guys about attending Saturday night!

I told her that after what happened to her at work today that I needed to brush up and take another class. She was robbed in broad daylight right at work. No weapons were involved, just a thief getting her wallet from her purse, ID, some cash & close to $1500 from our credit cards!!! She bumped into him in the hall just seconds after he took the stuff but didn't realize it until he fled the building. She was seconds away from catching him in the act.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Great. I had a back blowout yesterday, was better this morning, then it went pop again today. I'll be in great form if I make it. Maybe I'll get a shooting stick to lean on.

So Rhino, I was just looking at the Appleseed section. Will you be wearing shorts Sat night? I don't think I've seen you in anything else. What are we looking at? Mid 20s?

First, your health comes first! If you can't do it with confidence, take it easy.

Shorts will depend on the wind conditions. Mid 20s with no wind is not a problem. Wind and at night, the long pants may be necessary!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Emailed you guys about attending Saturday night!

I told her that after what happened to her at work today that I needed to brush up and take another class. She was robbed in broad daylight right at work. No weapons were involved, just a thief getting her wallet from her purse, ID, some cash & close to $1500 from our credit cards!!! She bumped into him in the hall just seconds after he took the stuff but didn't realize it until he fled the building. She was seconds away from catching him in the act.

Replied!

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    First, your health comes first! If you can't do it with confidence, take it easy.

Shorts will depend on the wind conditions. Mid 20s with no wind is not a problem. Wind and at night, the long pants may be necessary!

I thought this was a kilt event.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's another update . . .

Please make sure that you don't have any armor piercing ammo for your rifles. We'll be shooting steel from 100 yards and back, and I don't want to damage it.

Especially you, Mr. I'm Bringing the Belgian .308 Space Gun!

ALSO . . . since it won't be dark until after 19:00, I'm pushing the start time to 18:00 (we're originally scheduled for 17:00).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bobcat steel is nearly impervious to XM855. Just saying. ;)

Sounds like I might want to bring a longer barrel. I was only going to bring the 10.3" SBR.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bobcat steel is nearly impervious to XM855. Just saying. ;)

Sounds like I might want to bring a longer barrel. I was only going to bring the 10.3" SBR.

The farthest shots will be 240 maximum. The real limit will probably be what you can see with your light. You should be able to hit at 240 with an SBR as long as your light throws far enough to see the targets.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Especially you, Mr. I'm Bringing the Belgian .308 Space Gun!

Nothing but the best Lithuanian FMJ buy 'em by the scoop full bullets. I think they hardness check a point or so harder than the wheelweights I cast with.
    I doubt any of my lights can go that far anyway.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If yours can't reach, we'll probably help you with some additional light. I have a $25 2D Maglite that throws a beam a distance that you would not expect.

I wish we could shoot closer on the steel, but without using frangible ammo, it's just not a good idea.

Top Bottom