Active shooter at Merrillville Walmart??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    25 year old and his 9 year old son.....well, at least he's taking care of the kid.....kinda.

Also from the article

“The boy's father, who was in stable condition Monday, previously was wounded in a separate shooting about six weeks ago in Gary, he said.”

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Also from the article

“The boy's father, who was in stable condition Monday, previously was wounded in a separate shooting about six weeks ago in Gary, he said.”

Either really bad luck or really poor life choices.:dunno:

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    I don’t know anything more about this than what is stated above.

What I do know is this- I am in my 20th year of practicing law in NWI and over the years, I and numerous of my colleagues have worked on civil cases that involve criminal activity at that Wal Mart many, many times. When I was brand new, it was a shoplifter who then hung himself at the Hobart City jail. Since then, several cases involving muggings, “excessive force” during arrests, robberies, etc., etc., etc. Now, that’s just the cases that exult in a civil unit. I imagine that is well under 2% of the criminal activity going on.

That being said, it’s like everywhere where this stuff goes on- I’ve gone there numerous times during the daylight hours and I’ve never perceived anything amiss. But when the sun goes down on a weekend....
    I was once told that statistically, the most dangerous place in the United States, is a Walmart parking lot at night. I don't know how that true that is but it definitely sounds believable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was once told that statistically, the most dangerous place in the United States, is a Walmart parking lot at night. I don't know how that true that is but it definitely sounds believable.

I couldn't disprove it and anecdotally, it seems like it might be accurate.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I know at the one on the south side of Goshen, you will likely run over some horse poop if you aren't watching...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I know at the one on the south side of Goshen, you will likely run over some horse poop if you aren't watching...

^^^^TROOF!!!^^^^

Hell, there was horse crap in my bank's drive through lane the other day.

Heaven forbid your dog craps on a grassy lawn in a public area, but by all means, let your horse drop metric tons of crap up and down our public roads.:rolleyes:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

w=414,h=303,crop=auto

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Want some random and reckless speculation? Why not.

I am beginning to think that when the facts come out, the 2 adults involved were engaged in a business transaction outside the Walmart that escalated to argument and then shooting. Of course, another option is someone simply "disrespected" someone else and this is the result.

(I remember when "disrespect" was a noun)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Want some random and reckless speculation? Why not.

I am beginning to think that when the facts come out, the 2 adults involved were engaged in a business transaction outside the Walmart that escalated to argument and then shooting. Of course, another option is someone simply "disrespected" someone else and this is the result.

(I remember when "disrespect" was a noun)

So another totally random chootin. Got it.:yesway:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    UPDATE: Gary man charged in Walmart shooting; 9-year-old remains in critical condition
    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_53a6e934-f739-5f53-811a-e6bf7bae373a.html

“Alex Hughes, 26, of Gary, has been charged with two counts of Level 1 felony attempted murder, one count of Level 3 aggravated battery and one count Level 6 criminal gang activity.”

“Hughes was not in custody yet, and law enforcement agencies were still actively searching for him, he said.”

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

The Gary man charged Tuesday with shooting Kyran Hawthorne Sr., of Gary, and his 9-year-old son at the Hobart Walmart had been awaiting sentencing for misdemeanor possession of cocaine in a 2016 case where police also seized an AK-47 and a Glock handgun.

Alex C. Hughes, 26, and Hawthorne belong to rival gangs in Gary's Glen Park neighborhood, according to court records.

Hughes is accused of shooting Hawthorne and Hawthorne's son after "mean mugging" him during a chance encounter inside the Hobart Walmart off U.S. 30. A warrant has been issued for his arrest on two felony counts of attempted murder, felony aggravated battery and criminal gang activity.

In case you are wondering:

What does mean mug mean? mean mug Definition. Meaning of mean mug. OnlineSlangDictionary.com

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    So why is there a warrant for him?

I mean, it seems like a totally justified chootin.:dunno:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Let's be clear- they exchanged gunfire. I'm assuming the guy who got shot fired second....I guess.
    I don’t know if I would call that an exchange of gun fire. The suspect were not in the car when the shooting started. It wasn’t until the the buddy of the guy that got shot fired at the fleeing suspects car.

Top Bottom