• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Why is he called a "Somali" refugee, when he lived in Pakistan for seven years before coming to the US?

He grew up in Somalia but left with his family in 2007, settling in Islamabad, Pakistan, according to law enforcement officials...

After seven years in Pakistan, Artan and his mother and his siblings came to the U.S. as refugees. His father lives and works in Dubai, Khan said.

According to Catholic Charities records, the family came to America through Texas, staying in a temporary shelter in Dallas for 24 days before relocating to Columbus, Ohio, a city with a sizable Somali community.

How many other "Somali" refugees spend nearly a decade of their formative years in Pakistan before seeking refugee asylum in the US?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why is he called a "Somali" refugee, when he lived in Pakistan for seven years before coming to the US?

How many other "Somali" refugees spend nearly a decade of their formative years in Pakistan before seeking refugee asylum in the US?
    All the good ones, it's the inshallah thing to do!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm sure he was reminded everyday that he wasn't a Pakistani. It's actually pretty surprising his family lasted that long in Pakistan.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm sure he was reminded everyday that he wasn't a Pakistani. It's actually pretty surprising his family lasted that long in Pakistan.

Interesting point. While he may have been shunned by the public at large, he may have found refuge with a radicalized faction, much like young men from broken homes and low socio-economic status join gangs. :dunno: I don't know, but it seems plausible.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm sure that caused him much grief, and his lack of a safe space, caused what he did! I understand it's not HIS fault, he went SJS, it's probably mine, or Trump's.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I believe I read in an article his family and him spent 7 years in a refugee camp in Pakistan. I could see him being described/considered as a Somali refugee if that is the case. Heck there are refugee camps for them in Europe, if one came to the US from there would you consider them a French refugee or a Somali refugee if they stayed in that camp?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting point. While he may have been shunned by the public at large, he may have found refuge with a radicalized faction, much like young men from broken homes and low socio-economic status join gangs. :dunno: I don't know, but it seems plausible.

No one can think of anything, fairly recent, that may have pushed him over the edge. It's the first thing I thought of when I found out he was Somali. I can't help but wonder if that instance played into his fears.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm sure that caused him much grief, and his lack of a safe space, caused what he did! I understand it's not HIS fault, he went SJS, it's probably mine, or Trump's.
    I have a cousin who's an OSU grad, he lives in Atlanta. I was going to blame him.

Edit: Al Awlaki seems to be the common denominator with these attacks going clear back to Ft Hood. Moore, OK? Chattanooga? Mall of America?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I heard one talking head say that one of his grievances had to do with Muslim rights in Burma... that's gonna make it hard to blame on America or trump...this whole incident had so much promise when it first happened.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I believe I read in an article his family and him spent 7 years in a refugee camp in Pakistan. I could see him being described/considered as a Somali refugee if that is the case. Heck there are refugee camps for them in Europe, if one came to the US from there would you consider them a French refugee or a Somali refugee if they stayed in that camp?

I'd consider them simply immigrants at that point.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No one can think of anything, fairly recent, that may have pushed him over the edge. It's the first thing I thought of when I found out he was Somali. I can't help but wonder if that instance played into his fears.

His actions belie a sense of fear. One who is fearful does not plan and carry out an attack such as the one he committed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I heard one talking head say that one of his grievances had to do with Muslim rights in Burma... that's gonna make it hard to blame on America or trump...this whole incident had so much promise when it first happened.

I haven't really gotten a chance to listen to the news today...is it even a thing this morning?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'd consider them simply immigrants at that point.

Would you consider them Somali or French immigrants?

We have different views on this. I consider this scum bag to be a Somali refugee, you don't. No big deal. Now if his family had been accepted as permanent residents of Pakistan and lived there for 7 years then immigrated here, I'd view them as Pakistani refugees/immigrants depending on the reason they were admitted to the US.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    He didn't watch the second overtime of the Michigan/OSU game, and thought OSU lost?:dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    [video=youtube;GKUU4l1TmJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKUU4l1TmJU&app=desktop[/video]
    I couldn't get past 2:48. What a jack wagon. A person known for making racially charged statements daily is suddenly offended when people read into his vague tweets and try to apply his normal rhetoric and views.

Oh wait, that's right, white people are the only ones that can be racist. My bad. :rolleyes:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I couldn't get past 2:48. What a jack wagon. A person known for making racially charged statements daily is suddenly offended when people read into his vague tweets and try to apply his normal rhetoric and views.

Oh wait, that's right, white people are the only ones that can be racist. My bad.
    :rolleyes:

If you say it enough, it might become true.

Top Bottom