• BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    50s - 60s - 70s
    In those days we had schools and we had kids and we had guns. So what changed?

I don't remember quacks back then over-RXing drugs like they are doing now.
    We didn't have social media immersed in our kids lives like we do now.
    The value of life has diminished to the point of killing over an argument. When I grew up there were codes when we would get into street fights. Even most the gangs had codes. Drive by shootings didn't exist. When they shot someone, they meant to hit a specific person. Now they're lucky if they hit the right house.

Sure, parents don't want to parent, schools are reluctant to discipline, so 'my kid needs medication'... Where were all the needs for medication back in the 50,60,70's? And I'm not saying there are legitimate needs for them now. Add to that the 'absent' parents that are living their own lives in the social media toilet and as others have stated being the children's BFF instead of being 'a parent'.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    If you haven't taught your children responsibility, please PM me your name.

I want to do my best to ensure my children are not "hanging out" with yours.

What the hell are you talking about? What from my comment says I haven’t taught my kids responsibility? I was speaking of the shooters parents. Of course I’ve taught my kids responsibility. I keep my guns locked in the safe at all times. I regularly take my kids to the range and teach them how to handle a gun and they know they are to NEVER handle a gun without me being present which would be impossible because as I stated above, my guns are always locked in a safe. If I still need to PM you my name, let me know. I don’t know if you misread my comment or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Their level of injury required Level 1 trauma care. There are only 4 in the Indy area, Methodist, Eskenazi, St Vincent, and Riley Children's Hospital. Riverview does not have the equipment nor the expertise to handle such injuries. I see it all the time. GSW walk in to Community Hospital East all the time. Many are minor injuries that they take are of. The critical ones that get dropped off get immediately transferred to Eskenazi.

Ahh, my mistake. All that was said on the scanner by dispatch was that victim was refused. No mention of stabilization As mentioned upthread. As a stoopid civilian not in the know, I took that as we don't want the resposibility. Assumption fail on my part.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What the hell are you talking about? What from my comment says I haven’t taught my kids responsibility? I was speaking of the shooters parents. Of course I’ve taught my kids responsibility. I keep my guns locked in the safe at all times. I regularly take my kids to the range and teach them how to handle a gun and they know they are to NEVER handle a gun without me being present which would be impossible because as I stated above, my guns are always locked in a safe. If I still need to PM you my name, let me know. I don’t know if you misread my comment or what?

So you don't have a gun out to use for defense of your house when you are home?

You don't think a teenager can be trusted to use one for defense if needed?

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    So you don't have a gun out to use for defense of your house when you are home?

You don't think a teenager can be trusted to use one for defense if needed?

No I do not. I take one out and hide it near me when I go to bed and in the morning, it goes back in the safe. I have a cc license but I do not carry. Yes I would totally trust my 15 yo son to use one for defense if needed. But only in my presence. But never would my home be in a situation where my son could grab two of my pistols and put them in his backpack to take to school. Only my wife and I can get in the safe.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My kids could get to my guns at any time when they were at home. I didn't buy the safes until after that. Neither of them showed any interest in touching them without me assisting... I am sure there was no doubt in their minds about what would happen if they did.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No I do not. I take one out and hide it near me when I go to bed and in the morning, it goes back in the safe. I have a cc license but I do not carry. Yes I would totally trust my 15 yo son to use one for defense if needed. But only in my presence. But never would my home be in a situation where my son could grab two of my pistols and put them in his backpack to take to school. Only my wife and I can get in the safe.

I would guess you are in a very small minority here.

You are projecting your fears onto others, and judging them in that very limited view.

Many here do not lock up there guns all the time, and trust their children to be able to defend themselves whether there is an adult home or not. The guns are useless if they are locked in a safe when needed.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    I would guess you are in a very small minority here.

You are projecting your fears onto others, and judging them in that very limited view.

Many here do not lock up there guns all the time, and trust their children to be able to defend themselves whether there is an adult home or not. The guns are useless if they are locked in a safe when needed.

I respect that. I don’t believe I am in the majority. I like guns. I like to collect them. I enjoy building them. It’s more of a hobby for me than having them for self defense I guess. Persecute me if you want for that. However, I do believe owning them comes with an inherent responsibility that they won’t fall into the wrong hands or used irresponsibly.

Projecting my fears? What fears are those exactly?

In the Noblesville shooting situation, I have to ask, how was this kid able to take two handguns to school? Did dad leave his guns sitting out so that his son was free to stuff them in his backpack? How were mom and dad so disconnected from their son that they didn’t even have an incline that their son was capable of doing this? And if they did, why did the kid have any access to the guns? Lots of questions about this situation. I’m anxious to hear what comes out of this.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sorry to hear about all you guys that are impacted by this silliness....and Thank God nobody was killed. With that said, has anyone noticed it seems like we are getting better at stopping the shooter. A few years ago these kids and teachers may have just hunkered down and hoped they were not fish in a bowl. The only way to stop a guy with a gun, if you have no weapon, is to fight. I am more confident than ever that if put in this situation, people will mass attack the shooter. Some people will be hurt, and maybe even lose their life...but you are gonna lose it anyway if you don't fight. If the law is not going to allow teachers to protect you in a GFZ, than at least teach them once a door is breached to gang attack the shooter. Don't sit and wait to become a victim. Jason was a brave man and is the reason this did not end up a lot worse.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I respect that. I don’t believe I am in the majority. I like guns. I like to collect them. I enjoy building them. It’s more of a hobby for me than having them for self defense I guess. Persecute me if you want for that. However, I do believe owning them comes with an inherent responsibility that they won’t fall into the wrong hands or used irresponsibly.

Projecting my fears? What fears are those exactly?

In the Noblesville shooting situation, I have to ask, how was this kid able to take two handguns to school? Did dad leave his guns sitting out so that his son was free to stuff them in his backpack? How were mom and dad so disconnected from their son that they didn’t even have an incline that their son was capable of doing this? And if they did, why did the kid have any access to the guns? Lots of questions about this situation. I’m anxious to hear what comes out of this.
    It appears you have a fear of guns, if you feel they have to be locked up except for sneaking one out and hiding it at night.

Your last paragraph contains much better questions and direction of thoughts. So many parents are disconnected from their children today. Families are all lost in their mobile devices and online worlds. It is so much easier to stick your children in front of a computer, TV, tablet, or phone than to have to be an active parent.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My kids could get to my guns at any time when they were at home. I didn't buy the safes until after that. Neither of them showed any interest in touching them without me assisting... I am sure there was no doubt in their minds about what would happen if they did.

My dad thought the same thing about me. I still remember sneaking into his room to show that beautiful Colt revolver to my buddies, when my dad was not around. I never got caught, but if I had, my dad would have beat me nearly to death. I worry about this all the time with my little granddaughter (almost 4 years old). I am constantly preaching to my kids to keep guns out of her reach. She has been taught to never touch a gun and at 3 1/2 she even tells papaw that we can't play with guns but when she get's bigger we will shoot her pink gun(I got a pink .22 rifle and she seen it in the safe and I told her it was hers). While we may trust our children 100%, curiosity can be a bad thing.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    It appears you have a fear of guns, if you feel they have to be locked up except for sneaking one out and hiding it at night.

Your last paragraph contains much better questions and direction of thoughts. So many parents are disconnected from their children today. Families are all lost in their mobile devices and online worlds. It is so much easier to stick your children in front of a computer, TV, tablet, or phone than to have to be an active parent.

My only fear of guns, and it’s my biggest fear, is that it will end up in the wrong hands. I had a friend that had a hand gun and he kept it under his mattress. Someone broke into his apartment, found the gun and stole it.

I see no reason to leave my multiple firearms unlocked. I have one pistol in a biometric safe that is quickly accessible. If under attack, the big safe can be quickly opened and firearms distributed to my family members that are all trained on how to safely use them. None of us fear guns in my household. I fear irresponsible firearm owners.

JLJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Carmel
    My dad thought the same thing about me. I still remember sneaking into his room to show that beautiful Colt revolver to my buddies, when my dad was not around. I never got caught, but if I had, my dad would have beat me nearly to death. I worry about this all the time with my little granddaughter (almost 4 years old). I am constantly preaching to my kids to keep guns out of her reach. She has been taught to never touch a gun and at 3 1/2 she even tells papaw that we can't play with guns but when she get's bigger we will shoot her pink gun(I got a pink .22 rifle and she seen it in the safe and I told her it was hers). While we may trust our children 100%, curiosity can be a bad thing.

Kids are kids and I don’t need them having their friends over and showing them dad’s collection. Much like you, my dad showed me his guns when I was a kid and told me, “don’t ever try to find them. I have them hidden and if I ever find out you found them and handled them, I’ll beat your butt.” However, my dad did teach me how to handle them and shoot them safely.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When grandkids come along it all changes. Now I sweep through the house getting all of the guns, knives, etc picked up and put away whenever they are going to come over.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Noblesville was not the lead news story down here we had news about the potential thunderstorms first and everyone is wound up about a not guilty verdict on a murder trial we had in Evansville.
    The story is about the teacher not the shooter they interviewed a couple of guys at SIU stated he was a highly motivated player and loved to teach. National stories seem to be following that model.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    ^ If the media would take that approach, and focus on everything other than the gory details and the shooter, we'd be doing much better.

"The shooter died in a hail of gunfire, bleeding like a stuck pig. That is all we will say about the incident and the shooter. Now, the students and staff, and the local response, let's talk about all the good stuff they did..."

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When grandkids come along it all changes. Now I sweep through the house getting all of the guns, knives, etc picked up and put away whenever they are going to come over.

We go through the same ritual when visitors with children are coming over. I keep an exact count of what's unsecured.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    There is a chance the teacher will be sent home from the hospital today. Seems early, but I'm no doctor. Also rumored 2 of the bullets will be left in for now.

My mom is taking food to his wife tonight, might know more then.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    When I was a teenager in the mid-late 90s, during the time of Heath and Columbine (and other) school shootings, I had no less than 20 firearms in the closet of my bedroom at any given time...including ARs, SKSs, shotguns, and a couple handguns.

Times I ever desired to take a firearm to school: ZERO.

By definition, there can't be a shooting unless the shooter somehow gets access to a firearm...but it certainly isn't like raw unimpeded access to firearms has historically caused kids to become spree shooters, either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a chance the teacher will be sent home from the hospital today. Seems early, but I'm no doctor. Also rumored 2 of the bullets will be left in for now.

My mom is taking food to his wife tonight, might know more then.

"J" man if there is a need past prayer for these people please let us know.

Top Bottom